What would an actual party of ILP look like?

Just in case you come back from the permaban, again… you would kill your own? Are you confused?

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TocBuhl_6JE[/youtube]

I imagine a lot of shy girls, and some shy dudes. Which I love. Then the 3 or 4 cocky ones would start stirring something up, and grab the attention of the shy ones. The shy dudes in a daze, the shy girls feeling like they just walked into a pumpkin.

Then hopefully after some alcohol and drugs the cocky ones would scheme out some stupid thing, and then who knows. And then the Sun would come and wash it all away. Well, not all.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83bmsluWHZc[/youtube]

The original song was lyrical, but was so obscene it was disallowed. So the whistling is a testament against authority in more than one way.

Anyway if such a party was put together, I’d find some way, any way, to make it there.

It would look like those guys who hang around colleges but are older, some in bands, some trickling their way to degrees, some stoners, some doing some kind of Eastern meditation and wearing the appropriate semi hippie semi hipster clothing for their generation, whichever it is. There would be a few women. Most of the men would be awkward around the women. fifty fifty split on thc and alcohol imbibement. Undancable music, unhealthy food, bad skin. Some surprisingly short people with a lot of facial hair. A lot of people standing or sitting along clutching a beverage. A lot of laughter that sounds somewhere between a snort and a cough. People rolling their own cigarettes. A few truly randomly mixed breed dogs that had to be brought to the party because they bark nonstop if left alone. Very few wedding rings. One suicide during the event.

Carleas on a scooter delivering appetizers.

:laughing:

I’d be:
-one of the few women there
-alcohol imbibing
-petite, but without the facial hair
-rolling my own cigarettes i.e. roll ups
-no wedding ring, but plenty of admirers ; )

I’ve actually been to a gathering like that (minus the suicide), and it was actually a lot of fun.

Karpel, I really doubt it would look like your birthday.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh

Come on. His cliche-filled post deserved a predictable joke.

Thinking people are unsightly nerds. Okay great. We know that boorish idiots think this. Fuck off already.

What I think an ILP party would look like is a big mud pit spiked with some alcohol and sulphur. Half the people in it trying to push each others heads in the mud, the other half standing around looking bored.

Gods we are, riders on the storm.

No really, there would be a lot of loud shouting and laughing, rather proud than hysterical. People would come into their own. Intelligence isnt shy before other intelligence. It only has to hide from stupidity, pretend modesty, where stupidity is the norm.

Oh, that defintely could have been one of my birthday parties (or one of yours I would bet). But my birthday parties now don’t look like that at all, for good and for ill.

I was going on images I have seen of specfic people here in their real lives including yours. They are not nerds, however, that’s your own hangup, nor are they or we unsightly - some sure - also your expectations. I was also working partly off what another somewhat similar forum posted of their gathering and then what I have seen people post here in videos and films and my sense of the underlying goals and pain of the population here.

I do appreciate the assumption that an ilp gathering is a ‘thinking people’ gathering in your post here, but even that’s a cliche given the specific type of poster that comes and stays here. This is a very slap dab philosophy forum. I don’t experience it as especially nerdy or knowledgeable about philosophy, though, yeah, people here probably think in some ways more than the average person.

This is a place where people precisely do not want to do anything rigorous, philosophically. A lot of people with rather idiosyncratic worldviews and who have suffered some serious shit. A lot of people who want a soap box for their views often metaphysical or political in nature.

Your critique of my post is cliche. It is as if this was, primarily, a philosophy forum. Or that what I described was what, say, a Philosophy Forums party would be like.

There may be some nerds in here, but I will bet there are few. And any awkwardness around women does not come from spending too much with computers or comics, but from damage, and then also from being different.

Until it collapses into a reality, it is BOTH thin in girls and full of (shy) girls.

They need to know they are invited. They are shy.

Thats a bet you’d lose.

I disagree entirely with you in your assessment of ILP - not surprising since Ive attacked you as someone who refuses to think things through. We simply are very different.
You would have your corner at that party, where the snorting and coughing takes place, the underhanded shit. I wont deny you that.

It is true that I know one guy who would fit in that, Sauwelios. I am no longer a friend to this person though, precisely because of his inability to escape that dankness. Ive tried to pull him out of it for over ten years. Cost me too much to mention. But Im completely through with that kind of impotence now.

If you build it, they will come.

Gotta build it right though. Which is why I am quick top burn down Karpels ideas. They’re diseased, unrelated to the vitality that this place has always had. Of course the dude is new here.

Gimme a couple years then.

No, yes it does.

This is actually highly attractive to girls, hot ones specially.

I would imagine it to be something like this. Perhaps both inside and extending outside for a balance of thought and discussion/preference. There would be wine and cannabis, low volume music to discuss to, elegant furniture and a ‘reserved’ type theme.

Like this:

Same place as in my prior post, different days…