The wide awake club.. or, why are you still up?

The origins of the imperative, "know thyself", are lost in the sands of time, but the age-old examination of human consciousness continues here.

Moderator: MagsJ

Re: The wide awake club.. or, why are you still up?

Postby MagsJ » Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:45 am

15 hours of sleep later and I'm now wide awake at 5.35am.. fell asleep this exact time yesterday after my oldest sister's Labanese birthday dinner.. where I told the maître d' he was a big guy and everyone took it to be in a sexual manner :oops: and we had complimentary pittas baklawa Mohallabieh and coffee, followed by dancing at Kings till near-dawn.. where I twice interrupted three guys playing darts to keep getting the bulls eye and triples and where I started chatting to a guy in a Gant t-shirt and gave him my number :shock: he messaged me around 7 o'clock this evening.. I have yet to reply.. he's very very young. :|

These are the king of things that happen when you don't get out enough. #-o

An interesting read from my sleep app e-newsletter: https://blog.withings.com/2019/03/01/th ... -the-ages/

This paragraph is hilarious, but depicted in many a film pertaining to that period.
End of biphasic sleep, late 17th century to early 20th century

This is a really big moment, not just in the history of sleep, but in the history of industrial civilization, full stop. Here’s the backstory: for a significant amount of time, humans slept in two distinct phases, bisected by a short period (about an hour) of wakefulness. This was called biphasic sleep. During this hour, people would wander around, have sex, smoke tobacco, and pray. It wasn’t just a midnight run to the pantry, but a time of day filled with activities.

According to Roger Ekirch, the historian who literally wrote the book on biphasic sleep, references to segmented sleep began to disappear around the end of the 17th century, and by the early 20th century, the concept was completely alien to most people. There have been many many different theories about the transition from biphasic sleep to monophasic sleep, from the industrial revolution to the advent of street lighting, but it’s clear that this is one of the major sleep developments to occur over the course of human history.
The possibility of anything we can imagine existing is endless and infinite

--MagsJ
MagsJ
The Londonist

Postby surreptitious75 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:51 am

Mags wrote:
In recent weeks I have started staying awake for 36 hours and then sleeping for 12 hours but I dont know why and I
am sure it will only be a temporary thing until my body clock resets

You drift into it without being fully aware of it and before you know it it becomes this new habit you have acquired
I have been up for over 40 hours now and so should have gone to bed at least 4 hours ago but sometimes you can squeeze a bit more time
I havent been out for a couple of days and so this is why because when I last went out I walked 5 / 6 miles so I was only awake for 20 hours
The longest I have gone is 57 hours but that is quite rare so I usually do between 20 / 35 hours depending on how far I have walked that day
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious75
Thinker

Postby surreptitious75 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:58 am

People who sleepwalk can do many things including driving perfectly safely even though completely unconscious
The body knows what to do because the knowledge is stored in the memory and so being asleep is not a problem
surreptitious75
Thinker

Postby MagsJ » Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:15 pm

surreptitious75 wrote:You drift into it without being fully aware of it and before you know it it becomes this new habit you have acquired.

There is no consistency.. it seems to happen every few days or so, so a pattern of sorts.

I have been up for over 40 hours now and so should have gone to bed at least 4 hours ago but sometimes you can squeeze a bit more time

Are you productive during these long bouts of awakeness? There's nothing worse than being wide awake, but not being able to actually do 'anything' simply because you can't. :|

I havent been out for a couple of days and so this is why because when I last went out I walked 5 / 6 miles so I was only awake for 20 hours
The longest I have gone is 57 hours but that is quite rare so I usually do between 20 / 35 hours depending on how far I have walked that day

Yes.. the more active I am, the longer I sleep for, to the point of crashing out.

https://www.howsleepworks.com/how_neurological.html

HOW SLEEP WORKS – NEUROLOGICAL MECHANISMS OF SLEEP

Neurons (nerve cells) in the brain and brainstem produce a variety of nerve-signalling chemicals called neurotransmitters in different parts of the brain. These neurotransmitters in turn act on different groups of neurons in various parts of the brain, which control whether we are asleep or awake. As we have seen in the earlier section on the Two-Process Model of Sleep Regulation, the timing of the activation of these various different processes results from the interaction between the increasing homeostatic drive to sleep and the changing influence of our internal circadian clock.

In general, when the alerting areas of the brain are most active, they send arousal signals to the cerebral cortex (the outer layer of the brain that is responsible for learning, thinking, and organizing information), while at the same time inhibiting activity in other areas of the brain that are responsible for promoting sleep, resulting in a period of stable wakefulness. When the sleep-promoting areas of the brain are most active, on the other hand, they inhibit activity in areas of the brain responsible for promoting wakefulness, resulting in a period of stable sleep.

It used to be thought that the brain had a specific “sleep centre” (in the hypothalamus) and a separate “wakefulness centre” (in the reticular activating system in the brainstem), but more recent research has indicated that the situation is actually substantially more complicated than that: wakefulness actually appears to be regulated by a whole network of redundant structures in the brainstem, hypothalamus and basal forebrain, and is not centred in any one part of the brain
Towards the end of the night, the secretion of the stress hormone cortisol begins to increase in preparation for the anticipated stress of the day, usually capped by a particularly large increase (up to 50%) about 20-30 minutes after waking, known as the cortisol awakening response.

This last paragraph is true for me.. my blood pressure would go through the roof upon awakening, at the thought of having to get through the day. I don't think that that is so much the case now.

--MagsJ
MagsJ
The Londonist

Postby MagsJ » Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:21 pm

surreptitious75 wrote:People who sleepwalk can do many things including driving perfectly safely even though completely unconscious
The body knows what to do because the knowledge is stored in the memory and so being asleep is not a problem

That is one thing I do not do, and I find those that do creepy and/or scary. :shock:

I do not like being creeped out by oddities!

--MagsJ
MagsJ
The Londonist

Postby Artimas » Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:38 pm

MagsJ wrote:
surreptitious75 wrote:People who sleepwalk can do many things including driving perfectly safely even though completely unconscious

That is one thing I do not do, and I find those that do creepy and/or scary. :shock:

I do not like being creeped out by oddities!

Agree.. Sleepwalking is pretty creepy, my sister used to sleep walk and i would be kind of creeped out, a few times she fell asleep with her eyes open. Extremely odd stuff.

Even nothing, is something.
If one is to live balanced with expectations, then one must learn to appreciate the negative as well, to respect darkness in its own home.

All smoke fades, as do all delicate mirrors shatter.

"My ancestors are smiling on me, Imperials. Can you say the same?"

"Science Fiction today ~ Science Fact tomorrow"

Change is inevitable, it can only be delayed or sped up. Choose wisely.

Truth is pain, and pain is gain.

Image Image
Artimas
Emancipator of ignorance and also Chameleon upon the stars

Postby Artimas » Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:47 pm

MagsJ wrote:15 hours of sleep later and I'm now wide awake at 5.35am.. fell asleep this exact time yesterday after my oldest sister's Labanese birthday dinner.. where I told the maître d' he was a big guy and everyone took it to be in a sexual manner :oops: and we had complimentary pittas baklawa Mohallabieh and coffee, followed by dancing at Kings till near-dawn.. where I twice interrupted three guys playing darts to keep getting the bulls eye and triples and where I started chatting to a guy in a Gant t-shirt and gave him my number :shock: he messaged me around 7 o'clock this evening.. I have yet to reply.. he's very very young. :|

These are the king of things that happen when you don't get out enough. #-o

sounds like a good time though, I wish I could get out and do things like this without anxiety. Well lucky him then, young or not haha.

Have you ever tried melatonin capsules with chamomile? Perhaps cbd? Isn't cbd available in uk now? It helps with insomnia if you don't want to stay awake for that long. I consider myself a modern day shaman at this point.

Even nothing, is something.
If one is to live balanced with expectations, then one must learn to appreciate the negative as well, to respect darkness in its own home.

All smoke fades, as do all delicate mirrors shatter.

"My ancestors are smiling on me, Imperials. Can you say the same?"

"Science Fiction today ~ Science Fact tomorrow"

Change is inevitable, it can only be delayed or sped up. Choose wisely.

Truth is pain, and pain is gain.

Image Image
Artimas
Emancipator of ignorance and also Chameleon upon the stars

Postby surreptitious75 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:19 am

Mags wrote:
That is one thing I do not do and I find those that do creepy and / or scary

They are not aware that they are doing it because its completely unconscious
You cannot choose not to sleepwalk so if your mind wants to do it then it will
surreptitious75
Thinker

Postby jrabul » Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:41 pm

surreptitious75 wrote:
Mags wrote:
That is one thing I do not do and I find those that do creepy and / or scary

They are not aware that they are doing it because its completely unconscious
You cannot choose not to sleepwalk so if your mind wants to do it then it will

tell us more. very informative, and i did not read anything like this in my entire life.
jrabul

Postby MagsJ » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:51 pm

Artimas wrote:sounds like a good time though, I wish I could get out and do things like this without anxiety. Well lucky him then, young or not haha.

:lol:

I have no doubt that I will never see him again, but a fun night of drinks and dancing (and darts :lol: ) it was. :)

Have you ever tried melatonin capsules with chamomile? Perhaps cbd? Isn't cbd available in uk now? It helps with insomnia if you don't want to stay awake for that long. I consider myself a modern day shaman at this point.

They both sound good, but I'm trying propolis for both pollen-desensitisation and internal-healing of cells, which induces a tiredness that cannot be stopped, but when my being feels overwhelmed by the propolis enzymes I stop taking it for a week or two and then the insomnia sets back in.

I might consider trying the melatonin capsules during the propolis break, so that I at last get more sleep during that downtime from it. :-k

--MagsJ
MagsJ
The Londonist

Postby MagsJ » Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:55 am

jrabul wrote:tell us more. very informative, and i did not read anything like this in my entire life.

Sounds like you need to get out more :-k

--MagsJ
MagsJ
The Londonist

Postby MagsJ » Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:38 am

Yesterday, asleep around 5am.. up at after 5pm this evening.
Today, still awake at 2.30am, so maybe asleep a few hours from now... I have things to do tomorrow. [-(

--MagsJ
MagsJ
The Londonist

Postby Prismatic567 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:57 am

MagsJ wrote:Yesterday, asleep around 5am.. up at after 5pm this evening.
Today, still awake at 2.30am, so maybe asleep a few hours from now... I have things to do tomorrow. [-(

If you are confirmed hardcore medical case, then you have to accept that fact or has to take sleeping pills.

If you are NOT a confirmed hardcore medical case, I believe there are various sleep strategies you can take.

1. Visit a sleep doctor to confirm if possible whether there are any underlying problems.
    2. Take up meditation - proper fool proof methods.
    3. Practice effective breathing methods
    4. Get a fitness watch to monitor sleep patterns
    https://www.mi.com/uk/mi-band-3/ - cost less than 30 pounds
    5. Try melatonin prescription
    6. An effective exercise regime

I believe there are many good sleeping strategies found within the internet.

However the most critical element here is discipline where meditation and breathing techniques will help.

I believe for a normal adult person sleeping 7-8 hours [relative to age, older = less] starting 11pm-12am is sufficient.
My smart watch recommend 10 pm as a starting to sleep time, but I don't think that is compulsory.

If you have a strategy, and had slept at 5.30 am, you should set an alarm to wake up at 12.30 noon and do some hard tiring exercises so that you will feel tired by 12.00 midnight.

If you cannot fall asleep you must still lay in bed by say 12 midnight while doing meditation or shamanic breathing which will take one's attention from one wanting to sleep.
I am a progressive human being, a World Citizen, NOT-a-theist and not religious.
Prismatic567
Philosopher

Postby Meno_ » Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:52 pm

I'm awake at 3 am merely because of the newly found need to resolve almost catch22 situations, not that they have not had any precedence in more general and more inclusive concerns, (hoping to find solutions on that wider basis), &(fearing confusion between real and unreal connections between theoretical and practical applications thereof, due either to mere memory disconnect then from covering a cowering state of mind leading to suppression and/or denial).
but, also, the fear of oversleeping my life away, where I may suddenly may empathise with the rude, too rude awakening in, " All life is but a dream".
I guess it goes down to increased awareness of the .hourglass.
Meno_
Philosopher

Postby Prismatic567 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:00 am

Wake up, people: You’re fooling yourself about sleep, study says

Hey, sleepyheads. What you believe about sleep may be nothing but a pipe dream.

Many of us have notions about sleep that have little basis in fact and may even be harmful to our health, according to researchers at NYU Langone Health’s School of Medicine, who conducted a study published Tuesday in the journal Sleep Health.

“There’s such a link between good sleep and our waking success,” said lead study investigator Rebecca Robbins, a postdoctoral research fellow in the Department of Population Health at NYU Langone Health. “And yet we often find ourselves debunking myths, whether it’s to news outlets, friends, family or a patient.”

(read details in link below)

https://www.eastidahonews.com/2019/04/w ... tudy-says/
I am a progressive human being, a World Citizen, NOT-a-theist and not religious.
Prismatic567
Philosopher

Postby MagsJ » Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:43 am

Prismatic567 wrote:However the most critical element here is discipline where meditation and breathing techniques will help.

I have other issues causing the problem, but don't worry about it. :wink:

--MagsJ
MagsJ
The Londonist

Postby MagsJ » Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:28 am

Why am I still up..? a fibro headache, is why. :|

..a cup of Organic tea w soya milk, for me.

--MagsJ
MagsJ
The Londonist

Previous

Return to Psychology and Mind