Entartung

Like eugenics (a generally popular policy of which Oliver Wendell Holmes was a great support in several applauded decisions), the concept and acts aimed at slamming down its hideous onsurge, of degeneration, was not unheard of, but everywhere, when Hitler took to it. So far as I know, Max Nordau, who was a cosmopolitanism Jew (and who became a Zionist when already in middle age, long having considered himself assimilated in something like the manner of Marx), gave the most clear statement of it, in his book which I have read, not to say studied with some attention. I only point this out, as part of a general gloss on the too-poorly treated thesis concerning the overcoming of society, as that which followed the overcoming of nature. This theory has a special importance and links to a proper grasp of the dispute between Nietzsche and Wagner over the Gesamtskunstwerk, which does not mean, as it is these days supposed to mean, a agglutination and sticking or clinging together of many arts, but rather a communal work, like that debated in the Council of Trent (namely the music of Palestrina in its capacity to lead the believer to the Catholic spirit despite that it made the plain song inaudible amidst the freak contrapuntal tingle).

tldr

Saved for the Guide Forum. Ergo, raised back to the front page for reasons of the essential importance of subject matter.

I don’t have straight evidence of it right now, but I suspect Nordau must have been aware of evolution theory, and as a practicing doctor he must have agreed that for humans the natural selection really stopped working at the beginning of agriculture roughly 10,000 years ago (or 500 generations). (This evidence lies in the vestigal parts of human body).

He must have seen the effects of industrialization and subsequent urbanization on human psychology and behavior, but that was just a slice of a bigger and longer process (civilization) that has started long before him.

Original racial traits were selected for by natural environment, but once you control the external environment, selection, and choice of traits selected, becomes man-made. I doubt he goes far back enough to detect the first so called degeneration effects in humans. The process goes on, and eventually, the humans will have to resort to artificial genetic alteration to harmonize exponentially advancing technology with slow adapting human body. The man-made selection process will continue. But it will not be called de-generation. Perhaps cultivation. And concepts like racial purity will take on a different name, or at least a different connotation, as purity loyal to a different (man-made) standard.

Interesting. I’m sure he did know of a number of Evolutionary theories, but his theory did not largely concern race, but general “moral” development. Although, you might be right. There is biological content in the book.

I point out, however, on the other hand, Kant, some eighty years earlier, it must be said, in conceiving of distant planets, and their populations, wondered entirely of moral development. Never supposing anything but humans would be found in charge on other planets.

Madison says here, much earlier, but still in keeping with the idea: " I think our governments will remain virtuous for many centuries; as long as they are chiefly agricultural; and this will be as long as there shall be vacant lands in any part of America. When they get piled upon one another in large cities, as in Europe, they will become corrupt as in Europe. "

The corruption consisted of men of sound faculties, able to live nobly and rightly, deliberately following bohemian and debased patterns of life. The issue between Ibsen and Strindberg about “The Stronger”, a woman who chooses the traditional life of marriage rather than liberation, for instance, was more in question.

Of course, for the one who became a Zionist, the issue is latter, more clearly, over the status of Orthodoxy or a compromise religion, or, on the other hand, what he renounced after the Dreyfus Affair, assimilation and Cosmopolitanism.

On agriculture and its effects:
youtube.com/watch?v=o_RzVcPM3yo

Btw, I believe lgbt agenda was one of the solutions (or tricks) that came up in order to prevent the system collapsing.
(and I wouldn’t be surprised is someone even got a Nobel Prize for coming up with it).

I don’'t think so. People who are of those denominations, and are academics, said: How to make persons such as this less miserable? Then they got legal actions to back up their passionate desire to alleviate suffering. They produced powerful propaganda (well meaning and sincere fluttering, crackling flags, above the multitude). Note: this is not rational. It is driven by the current form of the university. Ergo, the chaos. However, what rationality is is not known. Ergo, Alexander Dugin must live!

Who funds them is accidental (not rational).