Have you leaned what Jesus and your bible teaches?

Well the cosmos is one in that everything we experience affects everything else, directly or indirectly, and everything is alive, aware and intelligent in that everything is in part spontaneous (at least on the subatomic level), responsive and organizes itself in very sophisticated ways.

Still some things within the cosmos are more alive, aware, intelligent and unified than others.

Right, consciousness doesn’t come from nothing upon assembling the right amount of complexity, but there is a continuous spectrum of degrees of consciousness with no zero being found.

All religions have pagan roots.

Moses was a myth and literalists are never right as they believe on faith and not on facts. Literalism is for those who do not want to know the truth.

I hope you can see how intelligent the ancients were as compared to the mental trash that modern preachers and theists are using with the literal reading of myths.

bigthink.com/videos/what-is-god-2-2

Further.
pbs.org/moyers/journal/03132009/watch.html

Rabbi Hillel, the older contemporary of Jesus, said that when asked to sum up the whole of Jewish teaching, while he stood on one leg, said, “The Golden Rule. That which is hateful to you, do not do to your neighbor. That is the Torah. And everything else is only commentary. Now, go and study it.”

Please listen as to what is said about the literal reading of myths.

"Origen, the great second or third century Greek commentator on the Bible said that it is absolutely impossible to take these texts literally. You simply cannot do so. And he said, “God has put these sort of conundrums and paradoxes in so that we are forced to seek a deeper meaning.”

Matt 7;12 So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets.

This is how early Gnostic Christians view the transition from reading myths properly to destructive literal reading and idol worship.

youtube.com/watch?v=oR02cia … =PLCBF574D

Do you wish to talk truth or the lies you get when reading a myth literally?

Regards
DL

I agree that the bible is depicting the supernatural and is therefore irrational.

Regards
DL

So you see both Jesus and Satan doing God’s work. Interesting.

That is more of a Jewish take than a Christian one. Are you agreeing that Eden was where man was elevated and not where he fell?

Are you agreeing with this link?

dish.andrewsullivan.com/2013/10/ … -theodicy/

Regards
DL

Then there is a problem with using quotes from that Bible to demonstate what Jesus really thought.

Indeed, but I am using the quotes that are basically inter faith as the meditation it promotes is found in most religions.

Anything can be used as a mantra and Gnostic Christians traditionally use the Jesus Chrestian good man archetype.

Regards
DL

That’s fine in terms of your use of the Bible. IOW you believe parts are true and others are not and you know which parts to listen to and which not, given your belief system. But you are turning to Christians who are not Gnostics, with the title of your thread ‘Have you learned what Jesus and your Bible teaches?’ and using as evidence certain quotes that you interpret out of your belief system. See, Christian, this is what your Bible says, there is no supernatural stuff. But the Bible very clearly intends people to believe in supernatural stuff, including about Jesus and that Jesus believed in supernatural stuff himself.

Now those who wrote the Bible may have presented a distorted image of Jesus and what he really believed, but the Bible as evidence is utterly undermined and it does not make sense as a demonstration to Christians. You can’t use the Bible to show that Jesus did not believe in the supernatural. That’s cherry picking. Further the cherry picked quotes themselves are rather open to a variety of interpretations.

It is just not the case, as you admitted above, that the Bible teaches there is nothing supernatural. Nor does the Jesus as presented in the Bible.

The quotes you quoted earlier can certain be used as discussion points on an interfaith level, but there’s no demonstation of ‘what the Bible is teaching.’

I don’t really think the various meditations promoted in the various religions is the same. It certainly was not what I experienced and the language and specific practices are different, but that’s another can of worms.

The whole bible is a cherry picking from most of the religions of those days.

As esoteric ecumenists, we just follow that old tradition and given that Christians burned a hell of a lot of the older holy books, it has become a guide to what the ancient thinkers thought.

The bible is basically the only book, other than Gnostic writings, that speaks of Jesus.

No bible = no Jesus.

Do you want to chat about Jesus or not?

Regards
DL

Christianity is unique, and real Christians ought to purge their churches of ecumenical and new age thinking.

If you know of the standard Jesus set for Christians to be his followers, with faith or belief, then there are no real Christians as Jesus said they could do all he did and more.

Jesus would look at Christianity today and reject it out of hand due to their homophobic and misogynous teachings.

BTW. the new age thinking that you might be attributing to Gnostic Christianity, is alder thinking than Christian thinking.

They usurped our God. We did not usurp their vile genocidal son murdering prick of a God.

Regards
DL

He certainly, according to the Gospels, stood up for a particular woman in a particular situation. But then there are no statements made by him challenging women’s place in society or the religion. And there is nothing about homosexuality. So what you are doing here is making a psychic claim, a supernatural claim. He certainly would have had opportunities to challenge the OT on its sexist, homophobic passages and stories. Perhaps he did do this and it was not recorded. But we have no way of knowing he thought those things. Unless we know via some kind of supernatural ability.

Are you making a psychic claim?

How could they usurp your God? They had a different religion from yours, except those who made Gnostic interpretations that you agree with.

I make no psychic claims.

I make a logical inference that a Jesus who pushed the Golden Rule, would treat women as gays as he would if he were a woman or a gay.

As to usurping our original Chrestian God ideas the same way Christianity usurped Yahweh from the Jews, I get that from this link.

youtube.com/watch?feature=p … At-PAkgqls

There is nothing unique to Christianity as it is a religion that came from a consolidation of many of the older and wiser thinking systems.

Regards
DL

Greatest u r and Gloominary

Am I to understand that both of you believe in Evolution?

If so tell me, how does Evolution explain the origin of life.

In a better way than religions do.
I will admit that both religions and science have stalled at the big bang, that most major religions recognize as good science, and are now both positing their own versions of Gods of the Gap.

How do you explain talking serpents and donkeys?

How much supernatural garbage will you swallow before you recognize you are being lied to?

If you do not believe in evolution, a proven theory and now a law, then you are in league with the fundamental fools.

Regards
DL

Now that you mention it, I guess you’re right. I suppose God has his own yetzer hara.

I have a novel take on the eden story. It wasn’t that man became aware of the existence of good and evil by suddenly becoming smart, but that he asserted good and evil exists by becoming arrogant. It was the assertion that good and evil exist, not the discovery that good and evil exist.

God asked “Who told you that you are naked?” That didn’t mean “Who revealed to you that you are naked?” but instead “Who convinced you that you are naked?” or “Who told you nakedness can be either good or bad?”

Eating the fruit was the birth of religion. The fruit was more of a hallucinogenic drug rather than a brain-boost.

It was definitely the fall of man. Now he needs to eat from “the tree of the knowledge that good and evil are bullshit” to regain ground.

That’s essentially how I used to interpret the story. Now I see arrogance as the only possible sin, but I don’t know what it’s a sin against.

Ephesians 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.

The only reason to have works (good works / bad works) is to brag either to other people or to god about how righteous we are. Works done consciously are useless to salvation.

Formerly I boasted before the guys of my sins, now I boast before the lord of my good deeds. Chains of iron traded for chains of gold.

Matthew 6
1 Take heed that ye do not your alms before men, to be seen of them: otherwise ye have no reward of your Father which is in heaven.
2 Therefore when thou doest thine alms, do not sound a trumpet before thee, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.
3 But when thou doest alms, let not thy left hand know what thy right hand doeth:
4 That thine alms may be in secret: and thy Father which seeth in secret himself shall reward thee openly.
5 And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.
6 But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.

Proverbs 8:13 The fear of the Lord is to hate evil: pride, and arrogancy, and the evil way, and the froward mouth, do I hate.

Proverbs 11:2 When pride cometh, then cometh shame: but with the lowly is wisdom.

Proverbs 13:10 Only by pride cometh contention: but with the well advised is wisdom.

Proverbs 14:3 In the mouth of the foolish is a rod of pride: but the lips of the wise shall preserve them.

Proverbs 16:18 Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall.

Proverbs 29:23 A man’s pride shall bring him low: but honour shall uphold the humble in spirit.

Proverbs 16:5 Every one that is proud in heart is an abomination to the Lord: though hand join in hand, he shall not be unpunished.

1 Peter 5:5 Likewise, ye younger, submit yourselves unto the elder. Yea, all of you be subject one to another, and be clothed with humility: for God resisteth the proud, and giveth grace to the humble.

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone. That was one of my favorite passages, but I discovered it was added late. Some scribe pulled it from his ass and attributed it to Jesus.

Serendipper

“Works done consciously are useless to salvation.”

Salvation where you cannot save yourself suggests that you have been condemned for a huge sin.

What was it and was it fair for God to sentence you to hell?

Regards
DL

Have you dithered out what Jesus wrote in the sand and had him forego judgement?

Hint. What was missing for the case?

Regards
DL

Life didn’t have an origin.

How does theism explain the origin of god? God/life cannot originate.

If life could originate, it would have to originate from nonlife, which is impossible.