Ramification in Causality is meaningless lie of the human

That’s not actually an acknowledgement of anything. It simply restates and reinforces your idea that you’re right based on your assumptions and experiences and others are right based on their assumptions and experiences.

It can be summed up as : “I’m always right. I’m never wrong.”

And it also means : “I don’t care what you think or say. Nothing to do with me.”

It’s interesting that you don’t say that our reactions are entirely existential contraptions.

That’s probably because you recognize that biology determines some of our reactions. That would be the objective aspect of morality and ethics. Which is why similar morality and themes occur throughout the world.

One never actually gets around to discussing it.

It gets lost in “optimum”, “obligations”, “demonstrations”, “dasein” and “existential contraptions”.

Too bad.

Right, keep on trying to convince yourself of this.

After all, what’s the alternative?

You know, other than your own rendition of “the hole”.

And that would mean saying bye-bye to your own rendition of the real me in sync with the right thing to do. And, who knows, maybe even to God as well.

And there is surely not much comfort and consolation in that frame of mind.

Trust me on this, okay? :evilfun:

Okay buddy. Take care.

How could I? There is clearly a historical record containing any number of historical facts relating to historical events like the rise of Communism or fascism. My focus is always on how we react to those facts from within a particular set of assumptions attached to a particular set of moral and political prejudices.

Or, in your case, religious prejudices?

Or why stop there? One could argue that biological imperatives are rooted in a wholly determined universe.

Or one could argue as Satyr’s clique/claque does over at KT, that they and only they have come to grasp the one true nature of these biological imperatives. As, for example, they relate to such things as gender and race and sexual orientation and being Jewish.

Fun is what any particular individual in any particular context says that they feel while behaving in a particular manner or in experiencing something in a particular way.

Then there are the reactions of others to this.

They may or may not be able to imagine describing this behavior or experience as a “fun” thing to do. They may note that this person’s idea of fun is at the expense of another person who is experiencing anything but fun.

Fun: “enjoyment, amusement, or lighthearted pleasure.”

We come into the world hard-wired biologically to embody this mental, emotional, psychological and/or physical sensation in reacting to the world around us. Whether you want to call it a “thing” or “the absense of a thing.” And whether it is embedded in a set of value judgments or not.

A “purpose” too is always understood in a particular context that is understood in a particular way. What do we tell others when they ask us why we are doing what we do? When they ask for the reason or the purpose behind it? And here dasein is marbled through and through our answers. Just as “conflicting goods” are when my purpose for doing something results in a set of behaviors that others construe to be bad.

Are some purposes inherently/essentially/necessarily more rational than others? Are they in turn inherently/essentially/necessarily more virtuous than others?

Says who? Based on what set of assumption regarding human interactions?

The purpose of things like the eye on the butterfly wing is embedded in the either/or world. Unless of course it can be demonstrated that God exists and intended it to be that way. It’s all embedded in random mutations. And we have no way in which to determine if teleology plays a part in this or not. In Nature.

At least to the best of my knowledge.

But what of the reaction of those of our own species to others who go out and capture butterflies, kill them, and then mount them in a display case? And then when asked why they do this, they say, “it’s fun”.

There would appear to be no purpose in a No God world. Purpose [to me] implies a conscious mind aiming to do one thing rather than another for one reason rather than another. Imagine for example that the human species here on earth are the only species of animal in the entire universe able to think and to talk about purpose in this way. Then next month the really big one – asteroid, comet, super nova, gamma ray burst etc – takes out all human life on earth.

What then of “purpose” in a universe in which there are no conscious minds [self-conscious minds] around to discuss and debate it?

Can fun or purpose even exist in a mindless universe?

Thanks old friend. I’ll see you in the next round. :wink:

I can only repeat myself by noting that my own argument here is just another existential contraption.

And in acknowledging that I still don’t grasp what you construe to be so important in your reaction to that.

I am a nihilist “here and now”. Meaning that there and then [in the past] I was not a nihilist. I was an objectivist instead. Meaning that there and then [in the future] I may be something else altogether. Thus the manner in which fun is understood and prioritized by me is ever and always subject to change given new experiences etc.

Evil is believed to exist by some. Okay, let them demonstrate that what they construe to be Evil [or fun for that matter] does in fact exist objectively.

With you though, I struggle to grasp how your own “I” out in the is/ought world is less deconstructed than mine. Given that you reject Good and Evil yourself.

My position here is going to be reacted to by those who either do or do not believe that objective morality does in fact exist amidst human interactions. In a God world, sure, that makes sense to me. But in a No God world?

Here, in my view, other people’s priorities are no less existential contraptions than my own. And it is the gap between the manner in which I construe the implications of these existential fabrications/contraptions [re “I”] out in the is/ought world and the manner in which your own pragmatic contraptions are construed to work for you that most interest me.

After all, with the objectivists the implications embedded in moral certainty for “I” is obvious.

My own priorities regarding an issue like abortion revolve around a pro-choice point of view. But I recognize that as just a political prejudice rooted in the life that I have lived. And my position clearly leads to what others consture to be bad or evil consequences for the dead baby.

But somehow “pragmatism” enables you to fit “I” here into a slot that leaves you feeling considerably less ambivalent.

But then [alas] you seem compelled instead to go on and on and on up in the clouds of abstraction:

What values expressed in what context from what moral vantage point? Why one set of priorities rather than another?

Yes, as a matter of fact, you do. But only given the manner in which I construe a moral value embraced by someone who does not believe in objective morality. You just call it being “pragmatic” instead.

What you “add” to the discussion [in my view] are the reasons that you feel this way about abortion rather than that way. Which I then root in dasein in a manner in which you don’t. But that still doesn’t clear up [for me] how your pragmatism here is able to hold your own “I” together more firmly than moral nihilism does mine.

Which I then suspect is but another manifestation of dasein.

Here I return time and time again to one of zinnat’s “groots”:

1] I was raised in the belly of the working class beast. My family/community were very conservative. Abortion was a sin.
2] I was drafted into the Army and while on my “tour of duty” in Vietnam I happened upon politically radical folks who reconfigured my thinking about abortion. And God and lots of other things.
3] after I left the Army, I enrolled in college and became further involved in left wing politics. It was all the rage back then. I became a feminist. I married a feminist. I wholeheartedly embraced a woman’s right to choose.
4] then came the calamity with Mary and John. I loved them both but their engagement was foundering on the rocks that was Mary’s choice to abort their unborn baby.
5] back and forth we all went. I supported Mary but I could understand the points that John was making. I could understand the arguments being made on both sides. John was right from his side and Mary was right from hers.
6] I read William Barrett’s Irrational Man and came upon his conjectures regarding “rival goods”.
7] Then, over time, I abandoned an objectivist frame of mind that revolved around Marxism/feminism. Instead, I became more and more embedded in existentialism. And then as more years passed I became an advocate for moral nihilism.

This example because it marks that crucial turning point in my life when I came to abandon objective morality. And because this sequence became more and more the template for all of my subsequent encounters with conflicting goods.

This experience became the first shovel of dirt to be excavated from my “hole”.

And “pragmatism” doesn’t work for me as it works for you because my frame of mind when embodying “moderation, negotiation and compromise” is no less an existential contraption.

In other words, in reacting to this I didn’t share your own assessment above. I did not confirm that your defense of this man is more reasonable than my own reaction to him. If it had made a difference to me then I would be in sync with your own point of view.

Yes, I get this all the time from the objectivists. I’m just unable to grasp it from someone who shares my own assumptions about objective morality. That in all likelihood it does not exist in a No God world.

But let’s move on to another context. A conflicting good that generates headlines “in the news”. One in which most here will have a point of view that is either objectivist, pragmatic or rooted in moral nihilism.

You choose it.

In the interim though it’s back up into the clouds:

Note an example of this pertaining to a set of conflicting goods likely to be familiar to most of us here. How are you confused? How are you conflicted? How do you come to embody a particular moral and political narrative such that you appear [to me] to be considerably less fractured and fragmented?

This “project” that you imagine me undertaking is mostly in your head. I spend a few hours a day in philosophy forums. And even then a lot of my time revolves around my “signature” threads here at ILP. The rest of the day I am doing other things – listening to music, watching movies, tuning in to the televsion programs I like, listening to the occasional NPR broadcast, following the news.

And to the extent that you approach conflicting goods as you would “going shopping” is admittedly the sort of pragmatism that is brand spanking new to me. I can’t even imagine it myself. Given that the consequences embedded in conflicting goods is often horrific to any number of men and women.

As for objectivists “running from me”, that too seems to be something that you have concocted in your head about me. Common sense tells us that in believing in objective morality, one must believe in turn that there is a “real me” able to be in sync with “the right thing to do”. And it is from this frame of mind that [psychologically] one is able to feel comforted and consoled. And thus to the extent that my own frame of mind is able to deconstruct that frame of mind is the extent to which any number of objectivists are going to react to me has they often do here. Some even resorting to what I call “huffing and puffing”, retorting, making me the issue.

Even in your own posts here the sarcasm is evident. And that’s right around the corner from contempt. So, why do I bring this out in you? Or are you also a polemicist at heart?

Or, perhaps, you are just inclined to be “smug” in these exchanges “by nature”?

Smugness is certainly something that I can project in turn. But I am about as far removed from being truly smug as one can be from down in the hole that I am in. I am no longer able to feel any degree of certainty regarding my own value judgments. My “I” here really is “in pieces”. And the abyss [nothingness] is right around the corner. I am only left with my “distractions” as I wait patiently [though sometimes impatiently] for godot.

Then back again to this part:

Note to others:

Link me to instances where he actually does bring this discussion out into the world of conflicting goods. Instead, in my view, he merely argues that he has done so repeatedly. Then he goes on and on and on in psycho-babble mode explaining me to myself and others. I become the issue.

I would really appreciate it if others here will link me to all of the many specific contexts in which he claims to have brought his “pragmatism” down to earth.

In particular those revolving around conflicting goods that pop up over and over and over again out in the world that we live in.

How does a “pragmatist” argue one way or the other about issues like abortion or gender roles or gun control or animal rights or homosexuality?

As a moral nihilist, I am always down in the hole that “I” have broached here. How then is that different from what KT professes here? That’s the part that most intrigues me. He doesn’t believe in objective morality but his own brand of relativism [situational ethics]leaves his own “I” considerably more intact.

You missed KT’s point. He did “invite you inside his head” when he was challenged. He did describe how he “engaged”.

Your assessment of KT’s position and your reaction to the man’s point of view is not the issue. Being “in sync” with KT’s point of view is not the issue.

The issue is how the conflict was approached and resolved. That’s what you actually asked for in the first place.

Instead you turn it into a case of “taking sides”.

Absolutely not what I meant. Not in the slightest. Not at all, never said that, never expected that.

Really rude.

You kept asking. I showed you what I did in a concrete situation. Of course it did not resolve conflicting goods. Of course it did not convince everyone. I don’t think such arguments exist. I don’t think there are objective values. I don’t think that even if there were and I knew them I would have the skill to convince everyone.

What I meant by saying nothing happened is, that you kept demanding that I do this, and so I did.

Then you kept asking me to do it, after I did, as if I hadn’t. As if I was afraid or doing it would reveal something I couldn’t deal with.

But the truth is I don’t believe in objective values. I shared an example of how I handle conflicts. I handle them pragmatically, to the best of my abilities and energy and the priorities of the day. I know that I cannot eliminate all conflicts and have no magic wands. My giving a concrete example did not drive me down into a hole. My not being able to convince you or everyone does not drive me down into a hole. I do not expect to be able to do this. I do not hold myself responsible for doing that.

Of course like anyone I wish I could make it better for what I care about. Of course I would like it if more people agreed with me. But I have neither of your two extremely rigorous contraptions: that I must find the argument that convinces everyone, that I cannot act in the world and try to make things the way I prefer, unless I am sure I will never change.

You went on and on about how I should give an example. I did. I did it honestly as the non-objectivist I am.

It didn’t even register on you that I had done it.

And now your interpretation of my reaction to your really rude disinterest in my carrying out a task you requested, is to say I expected you to be convinced that you should react the same way.

SEriously, do you read what I write?

I don’t want to have another outburst of cursing.

You so, so desperately want my not suffering the way you are to be caused by some kind of objectivism or contraption that you project all sorts of things on me and my posts, and then also can’t even remember when I have done things or what my beliefs which I have repeated are. Or so it seems. It seems like you want to have me in a box. For reasons: there, I don’t have to worry about him not being in my hole, he’s X, and that is not disturbing. Someone who is X and not in a hole is not disturbing.

But I am not X. So stop projecting it on me. There are more possibilities, it seems, then you consider. Maybe that makes you uneasy, so you have to have me in a box you feel comfortable about. Who knows?

You got anything new to say?

He never examines the conflict resolution process or any sort of problem solving methods.

He just points out that people have different ideas which results in conflict. And his solution is always “moderation, negotiation and compromise”.

That’s the only place the “discussion” goes.

No, the issue for me is always this: How with respect to conflicting value judgments in a No God world construed to be lacking in objective morality, he is able to “resolve” such conflicting assessments and not feel fractured and fragmented as I – “i” – am.

I try to make this distinction clear over and over again with him. He offers an explanation and it does not resonate with me. So the problem [from his frame of mind] obviously becomes me. I’m not truly understanding the point that he is making. Why? Because I am not really trying too. Or my thinking is just not as sophisticated as his is.

Just as with you and Communism: if only I would make a more concerted effort to understand it as you do, the conflicting goods would melt away for me too.

Anyway, once he notes the manner in which his views on an issue like abortion are embedded in the sort of trajectory I provide above, we will have something more concrete to exchange moral philosophies regarding.

Of course with you there’s also that part about God, isn’t there?

The Christian God by any chance?

And, if so, any particular denomination?

That’s two separate issues - resolving conflicts and feeling fractured.

I don’t see you compromising, negotiating or being moderate.

That is your preferred solution. Right?

So why are you not doing it? Why are you not leading by example?

What actual effort are you making?

ADDING ANOTHER QUESTION:
What does your solution to our conflict over Communism look like?

My point is only that if you understood the components of my own moral philosophy in the manner which I have come to construe them as an adjunct of moral nihilism in a No God world, you might be persuaded to shift your point of view. Just as if I understood the manner in which pragmatism works for you, I might be the one to shift.

I have offered you an existential trajectory in regard to my views on abortion as a moral construct [combining both philosophy and experience] resulting in a “sense of self” that is fractured and fragmented.

How given the evolution of your own value judgments here do you imagine that you are not as deconstructed as I am?

All I can presume is that you are able to shrug off the manner in which I relate my own thinking here. I loved Mary and she wanted the abortion, I loved John and he wanted the baby to be born. There was no resolution once I had abandoned my objectivist frame of mind and came more and more to concur with William Barrett regarding “rival goods”.

How was my reaction then [that Mary’s frame of mind was more “just”] not an existential contraption rooted in a particular set of political prejudices? Why would I not feel drawn and quartered in dealing with a situation in which one way or the other one of best friends was going to truly pained and deeply troubled? It tore them apart.

Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to approach this as the equivalent of “going shopping”.

Somehow apparently [if I understand you] you are.

The rest is just you “psycho-analyzing” me again. You get me but I don’t get you. And that has nothing to do with anything other than the fact that your argument [like your intellect] is simply more sophisticated than mine.

And, if, as a result of this, you do feel less fractured and fragmented [and thus more comforted and consoled], well, that’s just a bonus.

Not from my frame of mind. The two are – ineffably, inextricably – linked in a No God world in which value judgments are derived existentially from daseins clashing in a world awash in conflicting goods. I can’t resolve these conflicts precisely because “I” am tugged and pulled in opposing directions. Ambiguity and ambivalence are everywhere for me.

Why? Because I don’t have a God or an ideology to fall back on anymore.

But my point is precisely that even to the extent that I do these things, my reasoning can only be just another existential contraption. There are liberals and conservatives willing to moderate their views, negotiate and make compromises regarding things like abortion. But these revolve entirely around means – democracy and the rule of law – not ends. Most are still convinced that their moral narrative reflects a more rational and virtuous assessment of the issue.

Thus to the extent that I champion these things as the best of all possible worlds, the components of my argument don’t go away. I don’t feel any less fractured and fragmented.

Right. Because you don’t have any method. You’re treading water and you’re exhausted but you’re not getting anywhere. If you had a method then you would be swimming in some direction.

A pragmatist will pick a stroke and a direction and he/she will start moving.

Okay, you’re reasoning will be an existential contraption but you will have a particular result which is not a contraption. The result will be in the real world. Assuming that you even go beyond talk and actually take some actions.

And as you point out above he does not display compromise, moderation and negotiation here. He is utterly uncompromising about what the focus is. His discussion partner may want to focus on his behavior, or an epistemological issue he is not interested in, etc. His response is to repeat his position, or say that that issue/topic/comment does not resolve confliciting goods, or label the other person or the person’s position either explicitly or implicitly pejoratively.

It’s a very abstract and restricted part of the real world here, but it is a part of it, and he does not exhibit the values he says are the only ones that make sense given we are sans God, etc.

I have presented a hypothesis. What is the hypothesis I have presented recently a few times about why I am not in a hole and you are? Hint: it related to contraptions not just giving comfort.

I understand the distinction.

Nope. I suppose it is possible you are not really trying to understand . but I NEVER THINK THIS IS A REALLY YOU DO NOT BECOME CONVINCED OF MY VALUES. I don’t think like that, being a non-objectivist. More sophisticated? I have never said or implied that. You are projecting on me.

[/quote]
Why does it have to be abortion? I gave a description of how I handled a conflicting goods situation. I had partial success in getting others to do as I preffered. Other days I do not succeed. Sometimes I am afraid or too pessimistic to try. I am fairly skilled with words, but it only goes so far in the world. I accept that, though of course I am frustrated some times. Many things I wish were different in the world. I accept the fact that I cannot now present an argument that will convince everyone to do as I would wish. I do not believe there are objective values. I do not think the project of trying to find them is a good place to put my energy. I do not think it is wrong for me to participate in life and try to problem solve, despite my lacking knowledge of objective values. I do not judge myself for striving for what I prefer and strving to make it better for what I care about, even though it is possible I will change my mind some day.

Now the onus on you is to show that I should, really, be down in your hole.

Holy crap I’m falling behind :open_mouth:

I have to go back a whole page to find my last post lol

Yes, wants/needs, internal/external, subject/object. The discussion with you is the same as the discussion with KT, but the labels are different.

Can you control what you want? If not, then how is a want different from a need? Are you breathing because you want to or because you need to? Do you want to go on living or do you need to?

If you do what you ought to do, then you’re still doing what you want to do. If I ought to do X, and I want to do what I ought to do, then I want to do X.

So not wanting to piss people off is greater than wanting to do the thing that might piss people off, even though it’s something you originally wanted to do before you realized that people could be pissed.

Right so we create some arbitrary rules to facilitate cohabitation. We don’t need to follow them, but if we want peace and friendship, we may want to follow them.

Yes I agree, but I’m still not sure what “rooted in dasein” means.

But rationalization implies purpose. If he is rationalizing, then he wouldn’t be torturing animals for fun (no purpose), but possibly to please the gods who will bless the crops or send rain. Rationalization is trying to find a purpose to justify the action.

I’ll take a swing at it like a blindfolded kid groping for a pinata lol

You said “Or the thought put into the choice not to have any rules at all?”

So there are 3 possible outcomes:

1. Put thought into whether we should have rules and determine: yes, we should have rules.
  2. Put thought into whether we should have rules and determine: no, we shouldn’t have rules.
  3. Realize the futility in answering the question and stop thinking about it.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wxi-IUnCN_8[/youtube]

This bit from the Pirates of the Caribbean illustrates:

[i]Will : My father was not a pirate. [takes out his sword]

Jack : Put it away, son. It’s not worth you getting beat again.

Will : You didn’t beat me. you ignored the rules of engagement. In a fair fight, I’d killed you.

Jack : Then that’s not much incentive for me to fight fair, then, is it? [moves one of the sails so that the yard catches Will and swings him out over the sea] Now, as long as you’re just hanging there, pay attention. The only rules that really matter are these – what a man can do and what a man can’t do. For instance, you can accept that your father was a pirate and a good man or you can’t. But pirate is in your blood, boy, so you’ll have to square with that someday. Now, me, for example, I can let you drown but I can’t bring this ship into Tortuga all by me onesy, savvy? So… [swings him back on board and offers him his sword] can you sail under the command of a pirate? Or can you not?[/i]

You’re right. Rules of behavior are contraptions. Assessment of moral obligation is a contraption. Thoughtful derivatives of those are also contraptions. The only way to escape the contraptions is to stop thinking and that can only come by realization of futility and I suppose you’re right once again if futility is implemented as a contraption to attain the goal of freedom from contraptions.

This bit by Alan Watts who was (I think) quoting krishnamurti:

If you stay here and listen to me, you’re fooling yourself.
If you leave, you’re fooling yourself too because you still think that’s going to help.

So we can try by “trying” and we can try by “not-trying”, but as long as a goal exists, which is nothing more than a desire, then contraptions will abound. So how do we get rid of desire without desiring to get rid of desire? Realization of futility is the only way, but we can’t implement futility as a contraption either, as if to say “I’m going to do the foolish thing until I finally realize it’s foolish” because that won’t work since you already have knowledge of the plan and now you have a goal and desire once again.

This is why (evidently) the buddhist gurus set their students on a rigorous training discipline until they realize it’s futile without first letting them know that’s what he’s up to. The students think “Oh boy! Now we’re at serious business here. We’re on the road to some serious enlightenment!” All the while they are wasting their time, but the point is to finally see it was a waste of time. Oops… I guess I let the cat out of the bag lol.

We can’t have the religion of no religion
We can’t have the rule of no rules.

We can just have no religion and not be religious about it.

“Fun” is just a placeholder for “purposeless”. No one could tell you why something is fun for them because there is no “why”. If there were a “why”, it wouldn’t be purposeless.

Why am I going for a walk? I have no idea; it just seemed fun. Why does a buddha sit like that? No reason; it’s just comfy. Why meditate? If you meditate for a reason, you’re not meditating.

The wholly determined mechanistic dominoes or switches in a computer could never yield any sort of sentient being because there is no mechanism to even generate an illusion of freedom of will since hard-determinism applies and there can be no variation whatsoever. Failing to be able to prove it is more an inability to put thoughts into words sufficient for certain conclusion, but I still hold that its truth is more or less self-evident, depending how evident things are to each person. To me it seems obvious that a mechanistic process could never be sentient, but it’s not obvious to everyone and I do tend to get pushback.

What I mean by “mechanistic” is like cogs in a machine: if one cog turns, the other cog won’t do anything randomly, but it will respond with 100% certainty. The universe is not like that. The universe functions on randomness rather than 100% certainty.

Quantum mechanics is the most successful quantitative theory ever produced. Not a
single one of the untold thousands of experiments done to test it has ever found the basic
principles to be in error, and the agreement can sometimes go to ten significant figures
(as in some predictions of quantum electrodynamics). Quantum mechanics also underlies
vast realms of science, from physics to chemistry to some aspects of biology (probably).
All that we have studied so far in this course is, to some extent, an approximation to the
fundamental quantum physics. astro.umd.edu/~miller/teach … ture21.pdf

QM is THE most tested because it is so strange, but because of that, it is also THE most substantiated.

It took a while, but hidden variable theory was eventually disproved by John Bell, who showed that there are lots of experiments that cannot have unmeasured results. Thus the results cannot be determined ahead of time, so there are no hidden variables, and the results are truly random. That is, if it is physically and mathematically impossible to predict the results, then the results are truly, fundamentally random. askamathematician.com/2009/1 … andomness/

So it’s not a matter of not being able to locate the hidden variables that determine our universe, but it’s that the variables have been proven not to exist. It’s not that we can’t predict results because we’re too stupid, and, say, in 1000 years we’ll be smarter, but the results cannot be predicted because prediction is simply not possible. (And my reasoning for that is the universe cannot know what it will decide until it has decided.)

Assuming that it’s easier to have nothing and assuming that easy things are favored by “whatever there is” because if wastefulness we’re favored, then a mechanistic process would exhaust itself and cease to exist, then we have to assume that there is some overarching purpose for the existence of the universe since its existence neither conforms to efficiency (having nothing) nor wastefulness. IOW, the expenditure of energy must have some reason, goal, desire, purpose and that purpose would be subverted if purpose existed within the universe itself.

An analogy:

1. You go on vacation. You scratch your head and decide where on this earth you want to go. The whole world is open to you.
  2. You go on vacation. The whole thing is planned in advance and you’ll be required to follow the itinerary without deviation.

The purpose of #1 is not to have a purpose because the point is to get away from work (that which is purposeful). There is no purpose to #2.

There is no other conclusion. If there are 2 things, you’d need to explain how one thing could relate to the other thing, and if you did that, you’d join the things together into one thing by their relation. So there can only be one thing (the universe is the only atom - atmos = the indivisible). If there can only be one thing, then that one thing cannot look at itself and any effort of self-examination will result in randomness (causeless). It’s just logic man :slight_smile:

It will always be a mystery. Sure, we may learn more minutiae, but we’ll never arrive at the point of self-inspection.

Your purpose is to connect the dots, but why do you want to connect the dots? (Because it’s fun :wink: )

I think we can freely do it, but not freely want to do it. Whether or not this is fun to me is totally out of my control.

Only if you choose not to choose.

I don’t think Rand went into it deeply enough. Objectivity isn’t something that can be said to exist because existence is relational and contextual, but objectivity is not and it stands alone in nothingness with no context. I’ve struggled and struggled to refute James’ claim that things with no affect cannot exist, but I’ve got nothing. I even came up with an idea that the universe could exhaust some particles to places that could never be seen and we could never know about the exhausting process itself, but then realized I may as well be speculating about pink unicorns and teapots floating around in places that could never be seen. What’s the sense in that? Things whose existence could never be realized and could have no affect, are not things we could say exist because existence is relational.

Objectivity is abstract existence and abstract is the opposite of relational existence.

[i]Abstract:

adjective

1. thought of apart from concrete realities, specific objects, or actual instances: an abstract idea.
  2. expressing a quality or characteristic apart from any specific object or instance, as justice, poverty, and speed.
  3. theoretical; not applied or practical: abstract science.[/i]

The abstract is off on its own, disconnected from everything, and doesn’t exist. Likewise, objectivity doesn’t exist, or can’t be said to exist.

But it’s not mechanical. The universe isn’t a machine, it’s more like a plant. It doesn’t function like Newtonian balls, but it grows and sends random branches into barren places to die while branches that just happened to find sun will bear fruit. The whole thing is completely pointless random happenings that are going on.

I think the “rooted in dasein” concept is something I will have to learn over time because it doesn’t seem like anything that I can be succinctly told lol

If you have no way of knowing, then you are ignoring dasein, right? How could dominoes toppling over give you an impression of dasein? If it were true, then everything would have dasein.

If there is a god, he is part of the universe per the proof of the existence of only one thing. God could be dreaming all this, but if he were, then it would be random and not having every minutiae planned and predetermined. Who plans their dreams? The one thing there is not is the old man on the throne barking orders to everything as if that would have any purpose. Who goes to a play with a script in their hand for the actors to follow it? Would you really want to watch a movie that YOU made?

My basis for believing the universe would replay differently is the existence of randomness. Having the existence of randomness fairly well established, it seems rather hard to believe the universe would playout the same way time after time.

The breathing exercises in buddhism are meant to aid in realization of the futility of deciding whether breathing is something you do or something that happens to you. Eventually you’re supposed to realize that it’s all you. Alan says “If I am foot, I am the sun.” It just a matter of where you draw the line between what is you and not you, or finally realizing there is no line.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uieXYC4bPPI[/youtube]

What god? What do you mean? Any god will suffice.

There are no separate things; just the one thing. There is no god and not-god.

I’m not sure how you’re seeing it that way. I claimed: If G exists, then G is part of U. Then I proved the maximum possible tally of things, which is one. So if the max number of things is one, and if U exists, and if G exists, then G and U can only be one. What part is circular?

I’d describe it more like: popped into my head and birthed out.

Well the is/ought world is a subset of the either/or world, right? Things only exist in context. Words are only words because of the contrasting background, so we can only conceive of dualities. If dualities vanish, then so does any concept of existence.

Yep.