why people in the Bible lived longer

Noach and them, Abraham, they all were hundreds of years before they died. Quite a bit of life under the belt!
But how did this happen? I believe it. But how? I think because life was more meaningful then.

The first question that comes to mind is: why do you believe it?

I don’t really know for sure but it seems like well documented stuff to me plus I read a lot about breaking the death-habit. I think dying young, before 100 and so on is a cultural fad. Science also discovered that the aging process is not integral to the living process, and a bunch of species never die of old age.

Can I ask you why you don’t believe, or believe?

Apart from the stories in Genesis where the Patriarchs are said to have lived for hundreds of years including Methuselah who it claims lived to be 969 I’m unaware of any supporting evidence unless you’re referring to extra biblical religious texts like The Book of Enoch which is based on the same stories and has a lot of its own unexplained fantastic elements.

Excuses… you know its in the Bible, but you wanna know from which source I got it?

Well, I got out of the Bible. And like I said I don’t see why I won’t believe it. Most of whats in the Bible that Ive read is pretty realistic, except of course the parts about Jesus, the new testaments, you explained how this is a lie. And also I don’t think the story is very believable, with the fishes and what not. But in the old Bible there are different stories like about the flood which of course happened and tribal wars which all seem pretty much like how life works.

Anyway I am probably a lot more religious than you.

Im not even a Christian at all, which makes sense because of the older parts of the Bible, but like I was also saying to Serendipper I really think Jesus created a lot of reality and truth and so its bullshit to just not call him a prophet at all. I mean look at what he did even when he was dead.

Sometimes what you see is all there is, religion can be really simple.

I was feeling safer here because of the discussion in Meta about the religion forum, how it is a shame that no longer true believers discuss their faith.
For me God and Philosophy are like my left and right hand. I don’t confuse the one for the other and they cant really shake either. They can just fight together and grab opportunity together. They cant explain each other.

For me Im just being honest with myself. Im not gonna delude myself, you know, and try to understand God as a mere mortal. I think you cant even do stupider things than try that. So philosophy is trying, for me, to understand exactly what God isn’t. The reason why I like to do it the way I do, the grimy but tasteful dirt of the surface of the earth, what happens in the nooks and crannies of thoughts and words and actions, thats what philosophy can investigate. Philosophy gets its hands very dirty or it is completely bogus.

Also Im not about to say: I needed God to be this for me and now he failed so he gave me the authority to decide what he is, what I read all the time. Or arguments of similar intentions. If you fail to communicate with God rest assured its not going to be Gods fault. Also, if you have some intellectual contraption in your head about what god is rest assured thats just some stupid demon.

Why do you suppose the Bible is historically accurate? I didn’t say the New Testament was a lie. It’s complicated. Yeah there are floods and tribal wars. But, I don’t think there is evidence of a great flood like in Genesis. And all of the stories about wars in the OT are not necessarily accurate. It’s complicated too.

Sure there is evidence of a flood that wiped away the foliage of Egypt, the Nile valley was green from what I read. I think there is no reason to mistrust the Bible because everything makes perfect sense, but I have only really read the first books. I like how they talk, Isaiah is pretty damn smart.

No doubt there have been numerous floods over the Earth’s 4.5 billion year history. Egypt may have been turned into a desert by overfarming. Fantastical things do happen. Like, for example, the existence of the universe is fantastic and yet undeniable. But fantastical claims require supporting evidence. So if you look at the claims of the Bible as propositions, then it makes sense to ask where’s the empirical evidence? If there isn’t any you’re left with an unanswered question. And it makes sense to look for the simplest possible answers which usually rules out miraculous explanations. Isaiah was smart. But he lived during the Iron Age prior to the advent of modern science. So it makes sense to look at his propositions accordingly. Or so it seems to me this afternoon.

Maybe Earth used to be smaller and like, we kept building more stuff so it got bigger. But when it was smaller it could move faster to it went around the sun maybe twice as fast. So you got more years in less time so like the bible says a guy was 100 but now that would only be 50.

Well ancient Greeks had better life expectancy that modern Americans, about 20 years more. So that’s a start.

Source?

From what I hear, they lived longer because there was twice as much oxygen in the atmosphere. Also, people got more exercise.

Wikipedia and stuff, just google famous old greeks see how old they got. People will then say yeah but not everyone was famous so what does that really say? Well I say its damn sure an indication. And we don’t have any indications to the contrary.

Haha I don’t know about that oxygen part but who knows?

From any case all their old stories, before the ugly pedo came on stage, seem like really juicy, blushing cheeks kind of health.