Purpose of life

I would say that life itself has no intrinsic purpose, that purpose is relative to the biological organism’s mental faculties. To make the statement “purpose of life” is a very loaded statement falsely indicating that their maintains an innate one. To say there is an innate purpose is to offer a shared value among all living beings objectively, I could also possibly suggest that could be the bases of Nihilism expressed in modern times, projecting relative values upon an objective whole, even if those who exist in that whole express a biological indifference to those relative values, contradicting the so called value.

I personally prefer to use the term “happenings of nature”, as it seems to be more in tune with reality, also factoring in the variety of differences, differences not in the “one of many” or"equality" sense, but differences that contradict relative values. It factors in the possibility that there may be no purpose, also therefore no meaning intrinsically and objectively from a human perspective, but rather, if we were to stretch the word “purpose” or “meaning” it would only apply objectively at the very base of the organism, such as survival…but to me purpose and meaning indicate something beyond that by definition, or at least that’s how people use those terms, but that would very much rely upon individual biological faculties which would contradict the objective use of the word, as it throws the application of those words into subjectivity.

Happenings of nature deals with raw organic life without any objective projection or any emotional interjection.

From what Ive gone through in life the only purposes present themselves inside of life. Taking off the blouse of the girl that closed the shop and got close on a good bye is one. Its not intrinsic except to her ways of having me think about her. I was just going about my life as a kid when observations forced me to desire owning a BMX. So the memory of the blue metallic bike standing in my grandpa and grandmas living room that night is etched in me as a piece of what its all about.

I dont need more purpose than that BMX, Id still be cool with it if that’d be the only purpose.
I can tell you there’s at least one purpose and it has been fulfilled. So life is inherently meaningful now because it all contributes in the global cosmos of which my BMX was part. Still got picture of me riding it like a king. Life is cool at least sometimes. I read on the forum here that some Harrie something said the purpose of life is to be as cool as possible. Isn’t that really what Kant and Plato were after? Science is cool. Thats why it exists, and it is usually not even all that useful either.

Hey one lesson I learned is if you go in life with a purpose of taking whatever you can get no one remembers your name.
Always be specific about something.

i demand to see pictures of this bmx or it didnt happen…

Because this is a great place to share childhood memorabilia. The best.
You first though.

The expectation of a “the purpose of life” is an expectation of authority - a universal and eternal one at that, if objective purpose is presumed to exist.

Despair upon the realisation that there is none, or fear that there might be none (which seems to be effective at driving certain people to scraping one together), is despair that you aren’t being told to do something by something or someone. If you think you have an argument, you only really have evidence to provide that you have accepted some authority or other - which can take the form of many things. Religion is an obvious one. Personally I accept that Deterministic principles have objective authority, which gives away that I accept the authority of causation - my reasoning being that “we can make things that consistently work” based on consistent evidence in the ongoing present regardless of whether they ever will again. But I don’t think there’s any purpose behind the accepted fact that things work. Some people have an emotional authority, saying they think that happiness or some such - whether short or long term - is the purpose of life. This often takes the form of the emotional attachment to the continuation of the individual or the species as the purpose of life, although this can also be the logical observation that if we don’t survive and/or reproduce we won’t survive as a species. You could argue that life is necessary for the question to exist, but then this is just cyclical.

But whatever the authority, one can simply ask “well what’s the purpose of that?” to each answer. Why does it matter if the species continues? for example. Why does it matter if you’re happy? It’s an ad infinitum exercise with no ultimate answer.

This only leaves the conclusion that there is no objective purpose, or necessary authority that grants one. There is the authority that you have no control over the fact that you’re existing right now, but that by itself tells you nothing about why. Some other authorities like the fore-mentioned Determinism likewise give you nothing to work with. The ones that do, they fall apart when you simply question “why?” one more time etc.

However, this all assumes the authority of logic. Your answer doesn’t have to be logical. This is especially so as a consequence of accepting that there is no objective purpose. A nihilist has no reason to accept their nihilism, so if they do or don’t, they’re not really a nihilist because they’ve made a choice either way. So rather than fall into an irreconcilable paradox, I accept the authority of logic. I don’t have to, and I don’t feel it is an objective purpose, it’s one that I have chosen subjectively - arbitrarily even. I just like it, so really I’m no different from anyone else picking or not picking purpose. I’m just a different colour, so to speak.

I think you missed his joke.

Slightly, but it’s still a good place to share childhood memories, i was kinda wondering what the bike looked like…

I use to have this crappy blue townsend mountain bike, it was oversized for me, i was only around 10. I dragged the thing around for years, until i decided to ditch it. Then around 12 entering my teen years, my mother bought me this.

https://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTAyNFg3Njg=/z/R84AAOSwP4FaNWNQ/$_86.JPG

It was a dyno compe GT, by far the best bmx ever. They don’t make them like that anymore now, but back then it was way ahead of its time, they never broke, it was a solid build, it was fancy and rides amazing! My friend had a crappy bmx until one day it got stolen from his back garden, but it was insured and it was replaced with the same one i had! Couldn’t of hoped for more!

I spent most of my teen years riding it, throwing eggs at people on it, setting fire then speeding away on it, being chased by police on it, we would escape through lane ways…then i grew up…and i started to treat it like woody from toy story…strangely, i never knew what happened to it, i moved out at 20 years old, i forgot about it, went off to college, had gfs, discovered nightclubs and drugs etc around 25 i wondered, hey what happened to it, so i went to search for it. the idea was to put it on the wall, hang it up… but i went to my mothers house and i think she got rid of it…I had the belongings of my entire room stuffed into the attic, but by the time i came back several years later, my mother cleared it all out…all lost forever…

I thought you were making a cleverly sneaky backhanded philosophy joke about the burden of proof when it comes to grandiose proposed purposes of life, such as that which is ordained by God, but sarcastically demanding it just as strongly to something as relatively mundane as a bike.

Man, you guys really loved your bikes, huh…

Personally I regard all material as transient and place no personal stock into any of it - zero sentiment. It’s all just stuff to me - not saying it should be this way for you too, just comparing.

Indeed, my intentions changed after his response…nice catch btw,.

I see it as extension of the self, and it becomes alive as much as i see myself into it. I use love to bring myself closer, so it’s no longer strange to me, i make it known to me until it becomes apart of me, then i can use it…

Oh yeah I got it but I felt defensive because of it. If I have the purpose what concern is it to me if no one else has it? I’m not gonna stand butt naked at the intersection just to show how big my dicc is either. I think though maybe one time when I’m old I’ll do that.

But on to the big point of purpose and material illusions and time that makes sure we can’t hold on to anything even ourself. I don’t mind. I don’t find lack of purpose anywhere. I think death is a flower staring at the sun and the sun a flower staring at death. In the meantime I have my coffee and think about yet another day full of badassery on my part. And Manns BMX story adds to my uinverse.

I think the purpose of life mostly as I said is to smile back on it. I do stuff to feel cool about later and it works. Owning a BMX isn’t the only example but I definitely didn’t feel into a void of meaninglessness with it. I wasn’t the only one with a BMX as purpose which lingers in the mind. The world is so much to marvel at that to say it only has one purpose is pretty insulting. Better no purpose than just one purpose. Unless that one purpose is my Schroedingers BMX.

No need to feel defensive, it wasn’t that kind of joke, but that’s the point i was attempting to make, if there is an objective purpose then we would all already have it intrinsically, and it would be known to us. Perhaps it is known to our bodies and our “inner self”…without our control.

Indeed, this is how i see it, this is why i hesitated in using the words like “purpose and meaning” because it seems relative to personal activity, but as far as objective activity of existence, i don’t think anything is separated from itself, it’s an all inclusive realty even beyond into the cosmos. What is there is here and vice versa. A bmx is merely a celebration of self-consciousness in relation to natural possibilities, it’s an extension of who you are, who we are. We can talk about the reality of the “wheel” itself, and how great it is, and how the same concept applies to many things… such wagon wheels that carries objects and a tape reel that carries images of objects. A lot of people don’t see how it’s all interrelated.

Great minds think alike!

I didn’t even think about that but its true. I used to stand the bike upside down often to use the power of the wheel for example to make noise with some playing cards or use it as a cogwheel with my friends bikes or stupid shit like that, I wasn’t a scientist but I didnt need to be to realize the wheel is goddamme awesome. And yeah that all was just part of the full BMX.

The world is petty mindboggling and as a kid you’re not ashamed to be boggled. Its sort of the point to get your mind boggled. What else is a mind for I guess I used to think. Or even without thinking it that was my philosophy.