Which do you feel you are gifted in?

The origins of the imperative, "know thyself", are lost in the sands of time, but the age-old examination of human consciousness continues here.

Moderator: MagsJ

Which do you feel you are gifted in?

Postby MagsJ » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:06 pm

Harvard Professor Howard Gardner suggests that there are at least eight different types of intelligence. Which do you feel you are gifted in?

A) Verbal-linguistic ("word smart")
B) Logical-mathematical ("number/reasoning smart")
C) Visual-Spatial ("picture smart")
D) Musical ("music smart")
E) Bodily-kinesthetic ("body smart")
F) Interpersonal ("people smart")
G) Intrapersonal ("self smart")
H) Naturalist ("nature smart")
MagsJ
The Londonist

Re: Which do you feel you are gifted in?

Postby Pedro I Rengel » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:23 pm

ACDEG

A little insulted by H and am capable but mostly refuse to do F.

Believe B is inferior and doesn't belong on the list, but I am very good at it when I try.
"I am not fazed by myself. I have dragged myself through too much of myself to be fazed. Others are disturbed by the slightes articulation of themselves. But they are unfazed by the machine."
Pedro I Rengel

Postby MagsJ » Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:41 am

Pedro I Rengel wrote:ACDEG

A little insulted by H and am capable but mostly refuse to do F.

Believe B is inferior and doesn't belong on the list, but I am very good at it when I try.

My weakest is B, but not if I was to swat up on it and memorise the higher aspects of it at degree level, but I am good at math and reasoning otherwise..

I am equally gifted in A and C, then G E F H and D.. in that order: the self first, then the other, then that which is beyond us, and then lastly the whimsical.
MagsJ
The Londonist

Postby mannequin01 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:31 pm

:-$
mannequin01

Postby MagsJ » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:51 pm

You cannot, will not, or must not tell? :-$
MagsJ
The Londonist

Postby Silhouette » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:38 pm

Pedro I Rengel wrote:Believe B is inferior and doesn't belong on the list, but I am very good at it when I try.

Are you kidding? B is the most superior on the list...

Or are you saying that because you admit you are not gifted at it, and am I saying that because I am gifted at it? Sour grapes perhaps.

I would recommend learning to code for the exact reason that it helps you with philosophy. Not only does it literally force you to think logically and efficiently, it forces you to find and correct all the contingencies and holes in your own thinking - a skill that few seem to possess these days.

What else is maths than the most efficient version of all other forms of intelligence, and the logical manipulation of relevant variables towards valid conclusions? This doesn't belong on the list? The rest will help you get by in the real world, but only B will enable you to master it - although without A, F and G you might struggle to communicate your findings...
Silhouette
Philosopher

Postby WendyDarling » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:51 pm

mannequin01 wrote::-$

:evilfun: Manni-pedi, long time no see.

Kinda a, c, d, and e. Nope, age has killed e.
I AM OFFICIALLY IN HELL!

I live my philosophy, it's personal to me and people who engage where I live establish an unspoken dynamic, a relationship of sorts, with me and my philosophy.

Cutting folks for sport is a reality for the poor in spirit. I myself only cut the poor in spirit on Tues., Thurs., and every other Sat.
WendyDarling
Heroine

Postby Fixed Cross » Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:59 pm

MagsJ wrote:Harvard Professor Howard Gardner suggests that there are at least eight different types of intelligence. Which do you feel you are gifted in?

I'd say if these powers dont lead to each other or flow naturally into each other, they become prisons.
Before the Light - Tree of Life
The strong do what they can, the weak accept what they must.
- Thucydides
Fixed Cross
Doric Usurper

s.

Postby Arcturus Descending » Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:24 pm

Fixed Cross wrote:
MagsJ wrote:Harvard Professor Howard Gardner suggests that there are at least eight different types of intelligence. Which do you feel you are gifted in?

I'd say if these powers dont lead to each other or flow naturally into each other, they become prisons.

But Jakob, how can that happen? We do not all have the same gifts. For instance, look at Sheldon on Big Bang lol and perhaps this is not a good example but perhaps it is. He would definitely be an awesome B but he is definitely not an F or an H ~I would not think.
Some people have higher IQs and some have higher EQ.
I am more an A, an F and a G I intuit and perhaps an E.

But perhaps I do not have a fuller picture of what you meant above.
“How can a bird that is born for joy
Sit in a cage and sing?”
― William Blake

“Little Fly
Thy summers play,
My thoughtless hand
Has brush'd away.

Am not I
A fly like thee?
Or art not thou
A man like me?

For I dance
And drink & sing:
Till some blind hand
Shall brush my wing.

If thought is life
And strength & breath:
And the want
Of thought is death;

Then am I
A happy fly,
If I live,
Or if I die”
― William Blake, Songs of Innocence and of Experience

“No bird soars too high if he soars with his own wings.”
― William Blake
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby MagsJ » Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:47 pm

Howard Gardner's Eight Intelligences
The theory of multiple intelligences challenges the idea of a single IQ, where human beings have one central "computer" where intelligence is housed. Howard Gardner, the Harvard professor who originally proposed the theory, says that there are multiple types of human intelligence, each representing different ways of processing information:

Verbal-linguistic intelligence refers to an individual's ability to analyze information and produce work that involves oral and written language, such as speeches, books, and emails.
Logical-mathematical intelligence describes the ability to develop equations and proofs, make calculations, and solve abstract problems.
Visual-spatial intelligence allows people to comprehend maps and other types of graphical information.
Musical intelligence enables individuals to produce and make meaning of different types of sound.
Naturalistic intelligence refers to the ability to identify and distinguish among different types of plants, animals, and weather formations found in the natural world.
Bodily-kinesthetic intelligence entails using one's own body to create products or solve problems.
Interpersonal intelligence reflects an ability to recognize and understand other people's moods, desires, motivations, and intentions.
Intrapersonal intelligence refers to people's ability to recognize and assess those same characteristics within themselves.

Multiple Intelligences Self-Assessment
This quiz asks 24 questions and will take less than five minutes to complete. Try not to think too hard -- just go with your first thought when describing your daily activities and interests. By the end, you may have some new insights into the way you think.
MagsJ
The Londonist

Postby MagsJ » Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:16 pm

Fixed Cross wrote:I'd say if these powers dont lead to each other or flow naturally into each other, they become prisons.
The thing about the more in-depth quiz, is that there is no middle ground for wanting to, but being unable to, undertake an activity or interest.. so as well as becoming prisons, they can also hilight a current hinderence in the ability to execute them, as happens when one becomes incapacitated through illness or other means.. albethat a temporary prison.
MagsJ
The Londonist

Postby Ecmandu » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:17 pm

I took the test:

100% on intrapersonal, logic and mathematical

90% on others....

I ranked low on kinesthetic and musical because they are destroying the species for males in a sex dimorphic species... I'm actually a genius composer. The people who made the test are kinda stupid.
Ecmandu
ILP Legend

Postby MagsJ » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:03 pm

Ecmandu wrote:I took the test:

100% on intrapersonal, logic and mathematical

90% on others....

My results would constantly fluctuate.. dependent on.. on.. :-$

I ranked low on kinesthetic and musical because they are destroying the species for males in a sex dimorphic species... I'm actually a genius composer. The people who made the test are kinda stupid.

They could have asked better questions for sure, but I guess they had to appeal to a broad spectrum of participants.. not niche.

Some of the more time-consuming activities, would obviously mean lower scores on others, so varying, dependent on schedule.. I guess one would have to keep optimising one's-self, as we now do with our android phones and computers. lol
MagsJ
The Londonist

Return to Psychology and Mind