a thread for mundane ironists

[b]tiny nietzsche

me: I wish there was a day we could dwell on our approaching doom as the cold light of another day slowly ebbs
sunday: hey[/b]

Monday: Hey again.

I guess we can all see russia from our house now.

True, but I’m less than 40 miles from the Oval Office.

hey, the abyss isn’t going to fuck itself

Can that even be done?

there are only two types of people in the world: waves and particles

Not counting the slits and slots.

you texting to me? you texting to me? you texting to me? well, then who the hell else are you texting- you texting to me? well, I’m the only one here. who the fuck do you think you’re texting to? Oh yeah? Okay.

Now, imagine that here: youtu.be/4e9CkhBb18E

find a wasteland, find yourself a wasteland to live in

Does here count?

[b]D.H. Lawrence

It was not woman’s fault, nor even love’s fault, nor the fault of sex. The fault lay there, out there, in those evil electric lights and diabolical rattling of engines. There, in the world of the mechanical greedy, greedy mechanism and mechanised greed, sparkling with lights and gushing hot metal and roaring with traffic, there lay the vast evil thing, ready to destroy whatever did not conform. Soon it would destroy the wood, and the bluebells would spring no more. All vulnerable things must perish under the rolling and running of iron.[/b]

Next up: the rolling and running of plastic.

And however one might sentimentalize it, this sex business was one of the most ancient, sordid connexions and subjections. Poets who glorified it were mostly men. Women had always known there was something better, something higher. And now they knew it more definitely than ever.

Them and the Mr. Sensitive Ponytail men.

I am quite empty of feeling. I don’t care the slightest bit in the world for anybody or anything except myself. But I do care for myself, and I’m going to survive in spite of them all, and I’m going to have my own success without caring the least in the world how I get it. Because I’m cleverer than they are, I’m cunninger than they are, even if I’m weak. I must build myself up proper protections, and entrench myself, and then I’m safe. I can sit inside my glass tower and feel nothing and be touched by nothing, and yet exert my power, my will, through the glass walls of my ego.

Sure, I tried this, he thought, and look at me now.

There is no such thing as liberty. The greatest liberators are usually slaves of an idea. The freest people are slaves to convention and public opinion, and more still, slaves to the industrial machine. There is no such thing as liberty. You only change one sort of domination for another. All we can do is to choose our master.

Anyone here this is not true of?

Like a great bog humanity swamped her, and she sank in, weak at the knees, filled with repulsion and fear of every person she met.

I think I know her. I might even be her.

I am turned into a dream. I feel nothing, or I don’t know what I feel. Yet it seems to me I am happy.

Dope? Probably.

[b]Edward St. Aubyn

No pain is too small if it hurts, but any pain is too small if it’s cherished.[/b]

You tell me about yours, I’ll tell you about mine.

Why was he in this state? Or perhaps the question was why had he not always been in this state?

And now the states were stacked to the ceiling.

They had never met, but she had come to understand what had driven Victor’s wife to seek refuge in a full set of Snoopy mugs.

Explain this please.

Unlike the riotous appetites of adolescence, his present cravings had a tragic tinge, they were cravings for the appetites, metacravings, wanting to want.

In other words, when not just anything will do. In fact, when almost nothing does.

Other people knew what they were meant to say, knew what they were meant to mean, and other people still knew what the other people meant when they said it.

So, sure, it might happen here.

Most people either felt regret at staying with someone for too long, or regret at losing them too easily. I manage to feel both ways at the same time…

Or [more likely] both at different times.

[b]so sad today

human existence has always been a disaster so at least there’s that[/b]

And, no doubt, probably will be all the way to the grave.

i’ll show you my emptiness if you show me yours

Okay, stark naked works for me.

that which does not kill you but makes you slowly retreat from the world

Or: that which does not kill you but makes you retreat pell-mell from the world

well well well if it isn’t excruciating self-doubt

Again she means.

there are two kinds of people in this world and i don’t understand either of them

And even less do they understand me. You know, if they’re lucky.

would prefer if my actions didn’t have consequences

Maybe after you’re dead.

[b]Tom Stoppard

I burn with no causes.[/b]

Though more with not your causes than not with mine.

But no doubt you have read Kukolnik’s play?
No…I started to read it, but after a while I seemed to lose interest, and I was still on the title.

Not unlike some reactions here to my posts. And [of course] yours.

Mr. Moon felt as if the conversation was a weight he had to drag along on the end of a rope.

If not a ball and chain.

How is a juggler you can’t hear or see or smell or touch different to no juggler at all?

Let’s ask them.

Knowledge is good. It does not have to look good or sound good or even do good. It is good just by being knowledge. And the only thing that makes it knowledge is that it is true. You can’t have too much of it and there is no little too little to be worth.

On the other hand, does this count?

Schelling’s God is the totality of Nature struggling towards consciousness, and Man is as far as the struggle has got, with the animals not too far behind, vegetables somewhat lagging, and rocks nowhere as yet. Do we believe this? Does it matter? Think of it as a poem or a painting. Art doesn’t have to be true like a theorem. It can be true in other ways. This truth says there is a meaning to it all, and Man is where the meaning begins to show.

Does this mean what I think that you think it means? Or, instead, is it really true?

[b]Ferdinand de Saussure

I’m almost never serious, and I’m always too serious. Too deep, too shallow. Too sensitive, too cold hearted. I’m like a collection of paradoxes.[/b]

Join the crowd.

The connection between the signifier and the signified is arbitrary.

But no more so than this is.

The ultimate law of language is, dare we say, that nothing can ever reside in a single term. This is a direct consequence of the fact that linguistic signs are unrelated to what they designate and that, therefore, ‘a’ cannot designate anything without the the aid of ‘b’ and vice versa, or, in other words, that both have value only by the difference between them.

Rhymes with intellectual gibberish he thought. Though, sure, who is to say it’s not true?

Time changes all things; there is no reason why language should escape this universal law

Not counting “a” and “the” of course.

A linguistic system is a series of differences of sound combined with a series of differences of ideas…

Some a hell of a lot more different than others.

Without language, thought is a vague, uncharted nebula.

Though here perhaps with language.

[b]Philosophy Tweets

“Wherever Law ends, Tyranny begins.” John Locke[/b]

And when the law itself is tyrannical?

"Reach what you cannot.” Nikos Kazantzakis

Or, sure, in this day and age, pay others to reach it for you.

“If you live long enough, you’ll see that every victory turns into a defeat.” Simone de Beauvoir

Or, if you live longer than that, see it turn back again into another victory. And then into the final defeat.

“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” Bertrand Russell

Does what we do count?

“Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.” Bertrand Russell

You know the ones.

“Our ignorance of history causes us to slander our own times.” Gustave Flaubert

Not unlike our understanding of it.

[b]Meg Wolitzer

In the apartment, the answering machine blinked fiercely, two gnats drag-raced around the apparently sweet, rotting hole of the kitchen drain, and life was difficult once again, and familiar, and a disappointment.[/b]

In my apartment, it’s fruit flies.

Jules listened to this soliloquy in grim silence; she hardly knew what to say. Ash was describing an enclosed world that Jules too had been given a chance to enter, but hadn’t wanted to. She still didn’t want to, but the descriptions of the closeness and intensity of that world only increased her loneliness. Go on, was all she said.

So he did.

Being here reminded him of how hard the city had been, it’s unyielding surfaces, the relentless need for more and more money just to keep yourself vaguely afloat. The city was not a place for the contemplative or the slow.

Thank God then for the suburbs?

Corporate America had tried to get women to behave as badly as men, Faith Frank said, but women did not have to capitulate.

Though clearly most of them did. If not then some.

Twitter, said Manny, waving his hand. You know what that is? Termites with microphones.

But that’s before you get to the maggots.

All people, male or female, were helpless in the specifics of their own bodies.

Or they certainly were eventually.

[b]José Saramago

If I’m sincere today, what does it matter if I regret it tomorrow?[/b]

About what, some might ask.

Words were not given to man in order to conceal his thoughts.

Of course [for many] better that than to reveal them.

Inside us there is something that has no name, that something is what we are.

This thing with no name rhymes with dasein.

Chaos is merely order waiting to be deciphered.

Go ahead, start with mine.

Forgive me if what has seemed little to you, to me is all.

Or, sure, to hell with you altogether.

Words that come from the heart are never spoken, they get caught in the throat and can only be read in ones eyes.

And how devastating that can be.

[b]tiny nietzsche

when you can’t see the forest for the suicides[/b]

That and where you can’t see them.

drugs say no to me

And much to my chagrin.

if I had to fight any month, I’d fight august

That and the other eleven.

please don’t pee in the gene pool

Let alone take a dump in it.

I can’t believe the postmodernism I wore in high school still fits me

In other words, better than ever.

forming a nonreligious task force to remind people that they can fuck off

Anyone ever try that here?

[b]May Sarton

Most people have to talk so they won’t hear.[/b]

Or write so they won’t read.

The reasons for depression are not so interesting as the way one handles it, simply to stay alive.

Actually, don’t play down the fucking reasons.

Don’t deprive me of my age. I have earned it.

Feel free though to deprive me of mine.

We have to break the mirror to be ourselves…

Right, like there’s not another one soon to follow.

For a long time, for years, I have carried in my mind the excruciating image of plants, bulbs, in a cellar, trying to grow without light, putting out white shoots that will inevitably wither.

Somehow we just know it’s not only about plants.

Where joy in an old pencil is not absurd.

True, but how absurd is that.

[b]Dorothy Parker

Constant use had not worn ragged the fabric of their friendship.[/b]

Me? I never even came close.

Now I know the things I know, and I do the things I do;
and if you do not like me so, to hell, my love, with you!

Needless to say, some can get away with this while others cannot.

If you wear a short enough skirt, the party will come to you.

Or, sure, wear nothing at all.

There’s a hell of a distance between wise-cracking and wit. Wit has truth in it; wise-cracking is simply calisthenics with words.

Make a note of that, Kids.

It serves me right for putting all my eggs in one bastard.

Again and again and agin, for example.

I don’t care what is written about me so long as it isn’t true.

Either that or isn’t false.

[b]Angela Davis

You have to act as if it were possible to radically transform the world. And you have to do it all the time.[/b]

Or at least until it doesn’t make much sense to.

Progressive art can assist people to learn not only about the objective forces at work in the society in which they live, but also about the intensity social character of their interior lives. Ultimately, it can propel people toward social emancipation.

On the other hand, cue the world today.

One of the reasons that so many people of color and poor people are in prison is that the deindustrialization of the economy has led to the creation of new economies and the expansion of some old ones – I have already mentioned the drug trade and the market for sexual services. At the same time, though, there are any number of communities that more than welcome prisons as a source of employment. Communities even compete with one another to be the site where new prisons will be constructed because prisons create a significant number of relatively good jobs for their residents.

Let’s call it, say, the prison industrial complex. And that’s before we get to all the fucking jails.

Everyone is familiar with the slogan “The personal is political” – not only that what we experience on a personal level has profound political implications, but that our interior lives, our emotional lives are very much informed by ideology.

There’s a cure for that of course: 1] pop culture 2] mass consumption and 3] the worship of celebrity. And, nowadays, not just 15 minutes at a time.

But there’s a message there for everyone and it is that people can unite, that democracy from below can challenge oligarchy, that imprisoned migrants can be freed, that fascism can be overcome, and that equality is emancipatory.

Of course it does compete with other messages.

I don’t think we have any alternative other than remaining optimistic. Optimism is an absolute necessity, even if it’s only optimism of the will, as Gramsci said, and pessimism of the intellect.

Gramsci. That’s a name to take me back…

[b]Philosophy Tweets

“The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory but progress.” Karl Popper[/b]

With the possible exception of out in the real world.

“While differing widely in the various little bits we know, in our infinite ignorance we are all equal.” Karl Popper

Right, like that will ever catch on.

“Those who promise us paradise on earth never produced anything but a hell.” Karl Popper

With the possible exception of “one of us”.

“Silence is so accurate.” Mark Rothko

Like, say, a blank canvas.

“Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well.” Robert Louis Stevenson

Of course it can never be a combination of both.

“Passions are likened best to floods and streams. The shallow murmur, but the deep are dumb.” Walter Raleigh

A double entendre if there ever one was.

[b]Erica Jong

A person’s not free if their freedom has to be “given”.[/b]

Let alone “taken”.

…and the trouble is, if you risk nothing, you risk even more…

My guess: Risk comes down to three things: 1] context 2] context and 3] context.

And what about ageing? Do men force the fear of ageing upon us – or are we ourselves terrified because we only know one kind of power – the power of youthful beauty?

It’s even posssible [however remote] that both factors come into play.

In a sane world, love and sex would not divide by gender. We could love like and unlike beings, love them for a variety of reasons. The battered adjectives for homosexuality – queer, lesbian, gay – would disappear and we would only have people making love in different ways, with different body parts.

Or, as others insist, in an insane world.

Blush like you mean it.

You know, if that’s an option.

You want to be a poet and not die.

You know, if that’s an option.

[b]Nein

No, depression is no good. But disgust might have potential.[/b]

For example, mine for your point of view, yours for mine.

Call me a dreamer. But I’d like to think that with each passing day, our indifference grows more profound.

As in, say, human nature? Or are we back to the fucking memes?

You say you want a revolution.
But perhaps I could interest you in a weekend.

Or just settle for a drunken Saturday night.

A gentle reminder about the enemy of the people. It’s usually the people.

Like, for example, the dumb fucking masses in Trumpworld.

Weekends. The perfect time to stop. Take a moment. And give it as little thought as you can ethically allow.

In other words, not unlike the rest of the week.

ALT + RIGHT + DELETE

I tried that. Didn’t work.

[b]John Fowles from The Magus

The battle was over. Our casualties were some thirteen thousand killed–thirteen thousand minds, memories, loves, sensations, worlds, universes—because the human mind is more a universe than the universe itself—and all for a few hundred yards of useless mud.[/b]

What, no weapons of mass destruction found?

One of the great fallacies of our time is that the Nazis rose to power because they imposed order on chaos. Precisely the opposite is true - they were successful because they imposed chaos on order. They tore up the commandments, they denied the super-ego, what you will. They said, “You may persecute the minority, you may kill, you may torture, you may couple and breed without love.” They offered humanity all its great temptations. Nothing is true, everything is permitted.

Of course that was true only for those who pledged to be “one of us”.

There comes a time in each life like a point of fulcrum. At that time you must accept yourself. It is not any more what you will become. It is what you are and always will be. You are too young to know this. You are still becoming. Not being.

One the other hand, the only fulcrum we can all count on here is death.

The bowed head, the buried face. She is silent, she will never speak, never forgive, never reach a hand, never leave this frozen present tense. All waits, suspended. Suspended the autumn trees, the autumn sky, anonymous people. A blackbird, poor fool, sings out of season from the willows by the lake. A flight of pigeons over the houses; fragments of freedom, hazard, an anagram made flesh. And somewhere the stinging smell of burning leaves.

You might even call this the end of the story.

Duty largely consists of pretending that the trivial is critical.

Cue the definitionists. You know the ones.

If a person is intelligent, then of course he is either an agnostic or an atheist. Just as he is a physical coward. They are automatic definitions of high intelligence.

Works for me. Well, if only subjectively.

[b]Seneca

He suffers more than necessary, who suffers before it is necessary.[/b]

Let’s just say these things aren’t always ours to control.

Until we have begun to go without them, we fail to realize how unnecessary many things are. We’ve been using them not because we needed them but because we had them.

Let’s exchange lists.

Life is like a play: it’s not the length, but the excellence of the acting that matters.

Then who is to really say what is not acting?

Wealth is the slave of a wise man. The master of a fool.

With absolutely no exceptions of course.

The sun also shines on the wicked.

Like it has a choice.

A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer’s hand.

What a coincidence then. Same with a gun.

[b]Elena Epaneshnik

My ophthalmologist says that my high myopia allows me to see right through you.[/b]

Only because we let you.

I have a bad case of good intentions.

Cue the road to Hell.

…unfollows human nature…

Is that even possible?

Just so you know: Gedankenstrich – is my new favourite German word. I’m so obsessed with its logic and beauty that it makes me want to open my German books and start learning again. Leider habe ich keine Zeit. (Or something.)

I won’t Google it if you don’t.

Life teaches nothing. That’s all one needs to know about life lessons.

Let’s run this by Lionel Dobie.

In the beginning there was nothing. Then we lost it.

Trust me: You’ll find it again.
Just not before I do.

[b]Viet Thanh Nguyen

Nothing is ever so expensive as what is offered for free.[/b]

You’ll attach your strings, I’ll attach mine.

We don’t succeed or fail because of fortune or luck. We succeed because we understand the way the world works and what we have to do. We fail because others understand this better than we do.

Don’t count fortune or luck out though.

If youth was not wasted, how could it be youth?

A trick question, right?

While it is better to be loved than hated, it is also far better to be hated than ignored.

Trust me: Not always.

As Hegel said, tragedy was not the conflict between right and wrong but right and right, a dilemma none of us who wanted participate in history could escape.

Wow, how familiar does that sound?

Remember, you’re not half of anything, you’re twice of everything.

How dumb is that, he thought.