Insight on Ethics

{I am confident that the following statements are true – or at least more true than false} and would like to know if you concur that these are facts of Ethics:

A good moral decision depends upon the facts of the situation.

‘Morality’ is a personal trait; ‘Ethics’ is the name of the entire discipline. (That is how I define these terms.)

A moral person has authenticity to a large degree.

It is ethical to be considerate of others.

It is ethical to help others without being a martyr.

It is ethical to be helpful, to be of service, to want to cooperate.

It is ethical to foster the well-being of others.

It is ethical to help others rise in the quality of their life.

It is ethical to take on some responsibility and to be accountable for it.
All this will add value to the situation. That, in fact, is what Ethics is about: namely, adding value.

When an individual asks himself: ”How can I add some value to this situation?”, she or he is being creative. So creativity plays a role in Ethics.

Hence Ethics is about creating value in human relationships.

Good human relations are harmonious human relations. They are non-judgmental, morally-speaking; they are merciful and forgiving. They are not selfish, nor self-centered. Yes, we are all self-serving, but to be selfish, or (for a mature adult to be) merely self-centered, is to be unethical.

Ethical conduct makes for good human relations. Ethical conduct results in harmony in human affairs. It tends to result in one being more-likely to have a trouble-free life than if one cheats or ‘cuts corners.’

For all the above reasons, when one behaves ethically one is actually pursuing his self-interest.

— —Stephen Pinker

What say you? Are we on the same page on these matters? What does Ethics mean to you?
Does living ethically have more advantages than disadvantages? Would you, as a result of your philosophical analyses advocate that the people on this planet live ethically?
What can be done to make this more probable?

How are traits , meaning. and practice related , it seems these need further clarification as to what order they should be schimatized before developing a substantial ethical/moral dynamic positioning. Or that train of thought could be dispenses with?

Value is a function of meaning: the more meaning you find in something, the more value it has for you. If you see value in either:

(1) in the example set {the practice} by someone you consider to be highly-ethical and/or moral due to the traits he or she possesses, or

(2) if you like the case presented in my writings (earlier posts [such as “The Beautiful Simplicity of Ethical Concepts”, etc.] or in my booklets and essays, links to some of which are offered in the signature below) –
then you shall make (or may want to make) a personal commitment to be a decent human being, which entails your living up to a higher moral standard embracing even more of the Ethical Principles derived in the ethical system I propose.

You will then practice, more-often than you do now, ethical conduct, such as those traits I suggested in the first post. You will ask yourself at each encounter with another individual: “How can I create some value in this situation??” You will do this consciously until it becomes a subconscious habit in your life.

Have I answered your questions satisfactorily?

Any other comments or questions? All ideas welcome !

Yes, thanks

Glad to be of service :exclamation:

Let’s build, not burn !!

All constructive ideas are most welcome. What does ‘ethics’ mean to you?

How can we expand our insight on the topic? How can teachers and educators learn what Ethics is, teach it better, in effect, spread the word about its benefits and advantages?

Questions? Comments?

According to Political Science, where it overlaps with Ethics, an administration (or government) is good if it makes the lives of the vast majority of its citizens better than before: if it provides opportunity for advancement in life-quality. People don’t just want to “make a living”; they want to make a life …a Quality Life.

Everyone wants to feel needed and relevant (useful and competent), but if they feel emasculated and fearful, or feel that their government is going in the wrong direction, they may vote in a “strong” leader who will make himself more powerful …until he becomes a despot. He will do this by violating ethical principles and norms. He will live by such moral fallacies as: "The end justifies the means:; “Might makes right”; or “Anything goes!”

{Franklin Delano Roosevelt was an exception. He was an exceptional leader who - although he was a member of an elite class - could identify with, and actually care about the downtrodden, the commoner, the person who was hurting. He was so respected and admired that he was elected President of the U.S.A., and then he was re-elected three more times!
He proposed, and implemented, policies that actually helped the working person, and gave relief to those unable to obtain meaningful work.}

What do you say about all this?

Do you have any ethical insights to share with us?

How do you feel about the concepts offered in the original post or in my response to Meno?

Fellow Philosophers and Guests:

What do you believe is the status of ethics today? Do Ethical theories get any respect? What does the general public think about ethical and/or moral concerns?

If Ethics were a science, and had its practical technologies that people felt were useful to improve their lives, would Ethics be regarded more highly?

Your views?

As I see it, Ethics is the same as good human relations.

And if you regard the people you encounter (ordinarily) as “a treasure”, with a story to tell - from which I can learn something - you will perform a service just by listening to them. If you then ask, “Can I be of service in some way?” this often has a multiplier effect, like ripples in a stream. The individuals involved may want to do each other favors. If they possess a sensitive conscience, they may want to match the blessing bestowed on them. Soon it becomes evident that, in a sense, giving and receiving are the same.

Your goodness, your kind act, may initiate a chain reaction of “paying it forward.”

Have you seen this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7AWnfFRc7g - “The Empathic Civilization.”

If so, it is worth seeing it again.

And this one, on how to spread the word about an aspect of ethics, and who especially to spread it to, "putting materialism in its place:

B. J. Thomas – “Using Things and Loving People”
youtube.com/watch?v=J_K9NtiLi_E

Your views?

Let’s hear your comments on the subject…