Zero_Sum and Serendipper Discuss Currency Trading.

Oh yeah, quite often. I’ve been at this since 2009 and stocks since 2003. The largest spike was the Franc depegging in 2015. Brokers went broke. I’ve seen 100% increase a few times and 50% is common… nothing to write home about. Realistically, you could just trade the NFP day each month. Make all your money in 2 seconds for the entire month (or lose your ass).

No it leaves you with the required margin. It’s $100 for the USDCNH which means you’d have $99 left after the software sold you out. If you buy the USDCAD, you’d have $20 after the margin call, but it would have to move a long way for that to happen.

It takes $100 to maintain the position. If you fall below that, the software will sell it. So you need at least another $100 for cushion.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upa__upThsQ[/youtube]

Made $100.00 with original $50,000.00 on DEMO Forex account. Did this by betting against the United States dollar with Canadian loonie, European euro, Japanese yen, Chinese yuan, and Australian dollar. I could of probably made more money but I wasn’t paying very much attention to the daily volatility as I should of been. Won’t make that mistake again.

Decided to take my $50,100.00 and go all in the Chinese yuan just now. I am now holding and waiting for when its value goes up again.

Well that’s cool! Yeah, play around and learn how it works. FXCM has other things you can fiddle with dailyfx.com/real-time-news?ref=SubNav

And dailyfx.com/sentiment#pairsEURUSD

And oanda oanda.com/forex-trading/ana … ion-ratios

You might try placing more realistic trades, for instance, if you had $500, you’d place a 1 microlot trade, so with $50k, you’d place a 100-size trade (1 lot). You have to learn what’s it’s like to get a margin call and you’ll never do it trading that small lol.

Can you explain the different trading options in detail? It would help me with somebody like you who is unbiased and more seasoned in being experienced trading currencies. :wink:

What do you mean different trading options? You pick the size of the trade from the dropdown menu or just type in a number. You can go long or short. You can place a market order or entry order. On the UK account though, one trade does not cancel another: you can be both long and short at the same time. In the US that’s illegal (thanks to Barney Frank), so it’s FIFO first in, first out and no hedging.

I’ve noticed there are various options for the duration of trade. Something like a stop loss mechanism.

Yeah they have a lot of bells n whistles, especially in the UK. I don’t use stops so I don’t know about that. I just use market and entry orders.

In the US, if you buy the EURUSD at 1.23 and want a stop at 1.22, you’d just need to put a sell entry order at 1.22 and it would cancel the long position when triggered. But in the UK, you’d be long and short at the same time using that method, so if you want to close the long position, you’d have to use a stop. It was that way in the US until 2010. All the traders flocked to the UK after Dodd-Frank, but then they made it illegal requiring repatriation. Now it’s darn-near impossible to get out of the US. I have some overseas accounts because I was grandfathered in, but I don’t use them because it’s too hard to move money around.

A stop loss is just a limit order with a sell point less than what you paid for the underlying security. Basically, it’s the amount of money you’re willing to lose before you’re willing to sell the position at a loss. You set it up in advance and if whatever you’re holding drops too low, then it triggers and sells with you having lost only some of your money instead of more than if it hadn’t been triggered.

^^^That makes sense.

That explains things.

Zero, there are limit orders and market orders. Market orders are to be executed as quickly as possible so that the underlying security is either bought or sold immediately. Limit orders are orders for which you specify a price target at which the order executes.

You should go to investopedia and subscribe to the word of the day. Investing, like anything else, has a bit of it’s own jargon and a lot of the ideas revolve around this vocabulary.

Yeah, I’ve browsed investopedia before. Good idea.

Tomorrow at 8:30 am NY time is NFP. That’s where they take a bullseye to a random zoo for a monkey to throw a dart at what the employment number will be for March and what the blowout number will be revised down to for Feb. Then 100s of computers will move trillions of $ around on the basis that it’s somehow relevant to future rate hikes. Place your bets!

Ah yes, I seem to recall you mentioning that before. The 6th of every month, right?

First friday of every month. What do you think? Going to be a big number or a disappointment?

It’s always a good percentage when the government fabricates statistics to look favorably even if the real numbers are in all actuality horrible. Was the Forex closed today?

No it closes friday at 5pm and opens sunday at 5pm.

Weird, my internet browser was lagging horrible on the Forex yesterday. Thanks for the info.

Good thing you had no money to short USD/CNH or you’d have no money lol

Trump tries his best to talk the USD down, but he’s doing everything in his power to make the USD stronger. He is his own worst enemy.

The appointment of King Dollar Kudlow alone sabotaged any hope of weakening the dollar. If I had a atom of copper for every time that idiot has mindlessly chanted “King Dollar” over the last 30 years I’d make Bezos look like a penniless pauper in comparison. He’s the absolute worst pick Trump could have made out of 7 billion people on the planet if he had any desire whatsoever to weaken the dollar. His stupidity is utterly stupefying lol.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQLS0UiLOgA[/youtube]