Zero_Sum and Serendipper Discuss Currency Trading.

Alright so the poor gadfly like me with my meager $200.00 can still get some action on the For ex. What’s the largest spike increase you’ve seen in currency trading? Ever see $200.00 become $300.00 instantly?

Explain margin call to me, is that when a heavy drop in the market wipes out my $200.00 in one single full swoop?

What did you mean earlier that I wouldn’t have enough money for the China trade?

You’ll get a 1099 and you might as well just take that shit to whoever does your taxes.

So start putting a little at a time into ameritrade and don’t take it out. Won’t take as long as you think it might to get up enough cash to be able to play the game a little.

It’s capital gains just like stocks. Schedule D. I figure the interest into the capital gain just to make it easy. Stocks would separate the gain from the dividend and you would only realize a gain (or loss) when you sell, but you’d have to pay tax on the dividends you received.

How bad do they fuck you on taxes profiting on trading or investments? I’ve already got my ass reamed by taxes this year where I am trying to avoid that next year if possible. (If there is even a next year at all with the world being what it is now.) :laughing:

Are the taxes pretty steep on capital gains?

Same rate as your regular income tax rate for short term gains.

Is there a standard percentage rate for all of that?

It’s whatever bracket you fall into. Don’t get too much money…the government will start asking you to give them some to help society.

Oh yeah, quite often. I’ve been at this since 2009 and stocks since 2003. The largest spike was the Franc depegging in 2015. Brokers went broke. I’ve seen 100% increase a few times and 50% is common… nothing to write home about. Realistically, you could just trade the NFP day each month. Make all your money in 2 seconds for the entire month (or lose your ass).

No it leaves you with the required margin. It’s $100 for the USDCNH which means you’d have $99 left after the software sold you out. If you buy the USDCAD, you’d have $20 after the margin call, but it would have to move a long way for that to happen.

It takes $100 to maintain the position. If you fall below that, the software will sell it. So you need at least another $100 for cushion.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upa__upThsQ[/youtube]

Made $100.00 with original $50,000.00 on DEMO Forex account. Did this by betting against the United States dollar with Canadian loonie, European euro, Japanese yen, Chinese yuan, and Australian dollar. I could of probably made more money but I wasn’t paying very much attention to the daily volatility as I should of been. Won’t make that mistake again.

Decided to take my $50,100.00 and go all in the Chinese yuan just now. I am now holding and waiting for when its value goes up again.

Well that’s cool! Yeah, play around and learn how it works. FXCM has other things you can fiddle with dailyfx.com/real-time-news?ref=SubNav

And dailyfx.com/sentiment#pairsEURUSD

And oanda oanda.com/forex-trading/ana … ion-ratios

You might try placing more realistic trades, for instance, if you had $500, you’d place a 1 microlot trade, so with $50k, you’d place a 100-size trade (1 lot). You have to learn what’s it’s like to get a margin call and you’ll never do it trading that small lol.

Can you explain the different trading options in detail? It would help me with somebody like you who is unbiased and more seasoned in being experienced trading currencies. :wink:

What do you mean different trading options? You pick the size of the trade from the dropdown menu or just type in a number. You can go long or short. You can place a market order or entry order. On the UK account though, one trade does not cancel another: you can be both long and short at the same time. In the US that’s illegal (thanks to Barney Frank), so it’s FIFO first in, first out and no hedging.

I’ve noticed there are various options for the duration of trade. Something like a stop loss mechanism.

Yeah they have a lot of bells n whistles, especially in the UK. I don’t use stops so I don’t know about that. I just use market and entry orders.

In the US, if you buy the EURUSD at 1.23 and want a stop at 1.22, you’d just need to put a sell entry order at 1.22 and it would cancel the long position when triggered. But in the UK, you’d be long and short at the same time using that method, so if you want to close the long position, you’d have to use a stop. It was that way in the US until 2010. All the traders flocked to the UK after Dodd-Frank, but then they made it illegal requiring repatriation. Now it’s darn-near impossible to get out of the US. I have some overseas accounts because I was grandfathered in, but I don’t use them because it’s too hard to move money around.

A stop loss is just a limit order with a sell point less than what you paid for the underlying security. Basically, it’s the amount of money you’re willing to lose before you’re willing to sell the position at a loss. You set it up in advance and if whatever you’re holding drops too low, then it triggers and sells with you having lost only some of your money instead of more than if it hadn’t been triggered.

^^^That makes sense.

That explains things.