Researchers Discover 'Anxiety Cells' In The Brain

Serendipper,

Good summation.

Fanman, why not branch out and comment on more threads?

Yes, he says there is the scientific and the poetic explanation and which you choose depends how you’re wired.

But why does it make no difference to you? Don’t you want to know who, where, and what you are? Isn’t that the first order of business in life?

What’s all this talk about choice and control? If I prefer vanilla over chocolate, isn’t it because of how I’m put together? I had no choice in that. The words I choose to type next is just a function of my genetics and my environment and those are two things I have no control over. How do you have control and I don’t?

There is some truth in that but I don’t think that “your wiring” can’t be “rewired”. IOW, I’m not a fatalist.

It’s not up to me decide what other people ought to think. If he wants to think in some particular way, that’s his choice.

I already know. To be more exact, I believe that I have a reasonable explanation. When I hear other explanations, I evaluate them and readjust as necessary.

That’s loud and clear in your posts.

I guess that if you think that you don’t have control then you don’t have it.

So if I think I do not have control, then I really do not have it. Then doesn’t that negate everything else you’ve said where you’ve relied on choice?

[i]Sure, but perspective and expectations are within your control.

If you change your expectations, then life stops sucking. It’s your choice.

There is some truth in that but I don’t think that “your wiring” can’t be “rewired”. IOW, I’m not a fatalist.

It’s not up to me decide what other people ought to think. If he wants to think in some particular way, that’s his choice. [/i]

Your question “How do you have control and I don’t?” is the statement “I (Serendipper) don’t have control”. You want me to spend my time trying to convince you that you do have control. I sent hundreds of posts trying to do that or something similar with Iambig (trying to get him out of his dilemma). In the end, he always said that he can’t change.

I’m just skipping the middle part where I’m wasting my time. Okay, you don’t have control. Done.

Seems to me that you don’t have much control over yourself. Because it went wrong with biggie, now you have no choice. That’s kinda where I am as well; why bother if I can’t win? I had no choice but to play before because I was young, ambitious, optimistic, curious, adventurous (like you), and now I have no choice but to not play because I’m worn out (like you). So I’m playing chess with Garry Kasparov… sure, I’m free to move wherever I want, but it can only end one way and the only winning move is not to play (like you’re doing).

I wasn’t always so pessimistic, but maybe I got too smart (ignorance is bliss they say). As soon as I consciously decide to do something, evolution immediately begins working against me. As soon as I decide to play white, the universe takes the opposing black position. Looks like dad was right… winning is a fluke, a miracle of luck or necessary aberration just to put losing back into context and give it significance.

Think whatever you want about it.

Do I have a choice? :confusion-shrug:

Yes

Note my premise is;

DNA wise ALL humans has the potential to suffer an existential crisis, thus angst.
I have given a framework of elements to support the above of which there is no room for doubt.
I agree the question of the mechanics of a more detailed explanation is not given [yet] and a more details answer/explanation down to the specific neurons will be answered in the future via the HCP.

You’re entitled to your views, but I disagree with your assessment.
[/quote]
That is a fact from your responses here as evidence. That will be my conclusion until proven otherwise.

HCP merely provide a main model of how the brain neurons are connected in general. Like anything else there are obvious exceptions from the standard model.

Note synaethesia where the supposedly sense faculty are to be correctly connected to the right neurons 99% of the time. But due to neuroplasticity [negative in this case] there are cases where the senses cross-wired where a person can ‘taste’ music, etc.
Neuroplasticity happens when certain standard connections are damaged [in stroke and other brain defects] thus the brain will find new pathways.
These are the exceptions which will be highlighted along with the main findings of the HCP.
Neuroplasticity could be exploited with the knowledge from the HCP to strengthen modulation of the anxiety impulses.

Note since anxiety cells are inherent, they will not be eliminated. Thus they can only be inhibited and modulated.
I don’t expect any side effects from the modulation of anxiety cells when done properly within the knowledge we have.

The only possible side effects are when people do more than the necessary recommended exercises and procedures. This can be prevented via self-development programs of modulating over-enthusiasm and other impulse controls.

With advances in the HCP in the future, controls and monitoring can be implemented to ensure the vulnerable percentile [low %] do not deviate from the standard procedures.

Note as I had stated this OP is highly speculative based on studies from mice.

What I have done is I have provided references of evidences that support its possibility in the future, e.g.

1. A thesis argument to its possibility.
  2. The potential of the HCP
  3. The current ongoing practices of modulating anxieties, Buddhism, psychology, neurosciences, etc.
  4. Others

Pris,

No room for doubt? You have “QED” issues, QED :slight_smile: .

#-o … Okay, but you should understand that such criticisms from you, due to the general rejections of your speculative claims, are conversely compliments, because it means that I haven’t followed you into what I perceive as a rabbit hole.

HCP is the new phrenology; and phrenology has been largely disproved.
I would ask if there is any other place in the brain other than in the amygdala where anxiety can be expressed?
Anxiety in the brain generally indicates something is physically wrong, It does not indicate some free floating disposition that affects everyone negatively. It is more like an impetus to adapt and to survive, which is the brain’s job of tending to homeostasis. Anxiety is a prod for survival behavior. There are some who do “go gently into that good night” without experiencing the horror of death-imposed religious anxiety. Fear of death and of what may become of the I after death is a type of cowardice.
“Thou art that” is a Sanskrit saying. After death you will become an intimate part of matter in its dance with energy. In fact you already are that now in life.

That’s the magical future where everything works exactly as you conceive it in your head, everything is “done properly” and there are never any problems. :laughing:

One can’t argue with a fantasy.

Tat Tvam Asi