Researchers Discover 'Anxiety Cells' In The Brain

Serendipper,

I think it depends on what you mean by “sin” and how destructive the behaviours are. With the application of self-control, we can cease destructive behaviours, pick ourselves up and wipe the proverbial dust off. Christianity would claim that seeking redemption is the conscious choice to be saved and that we don’t actually save ourselves. Once we make the choice to redeem ourselves, Jesus takes the reigns and redeems us through our faith via the holy spirit. I think that people can make the choice to change things for the better, usually when we hit rock bottom, but possibly before then. In my experience, religion becomes a viable solution after everything else has been exhausted and failed, people turn to God as their last hope.

I often here Evangelists preach that the law was given to increase sin, because it sets too high a standard for people to adhere to. I don’t really agree with that view, but Jesus’ advent apparently invalidated the law and made grace available to us in the form of the New Covenant, so the law is no longer relevant, as according to the modern doctrine. The modern maxim is that “right believing, causes right living.” so when we believe in Jesus we lose the taste for sin. When I was a theist, my rule of thumb was the four cardinal virtues, I still had my guilty pleasures, and made some bad moral choices, but I believed in the principle of grace, I believed I was saved regardless of my sins. I thought that my ticket to heaven was a banker.

Good stuff!

I suppose a sin is a transgression of a law and I suspect that it doesn’t matter what list of laws is applicable because it’s assumed that “everyone has sinned and come short of the glory of God”. And as Paul said, once we’ve broken the law, we’re a lawbreaker and that’s that. So it would seem there isn’t much point to trying to keep a law once we’ve been labeled a breaker of the law; therefore whatever the law is is completely inconsequential for salvation.

Yes I suppose we can set goals and achieve them, but what about spiritual progress or what they call enlightenment in the East? How is a person who is in the dark able to lead himself without falling in the ditch? How is someone who needs improving going to be the one who decides how to improve?

If we decide that we are sinners and need some kind of improvement, then isn’t that like having a mistrust of ourselves? And if we can’t trust ourselves, can we trust our mistrust of ourselves? So if we can’t trust ourselves, we can’t trust anything and if we can’t trust anything, then how are we going to feel confident that we’ve chosen the right method to improve ourselves? How do we even know what improving ourselves means? After all, the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Yes, that’s what they say, but is faith also a work? If a street preacher asks me if I’m saved and I reply “no”, he will say “Well here’s all you have to do __________”. What’s in the blank doesn’t matter; what’s relevant is the word “do”. I have to do something, so it’s not a gift. Furthermore, if I did decide to believe (as if I could decide to believe something), I could say “na na a boo boo I made the right choice and you didn’t” so I’m still in a position of bragging and feeling self-righteous. So there is nothing I can do and I must be careful lest I try to “do nothing” as a mean of doing something.

Alan Watts made an interesting point that all religion is clinging to something and that is not faith, but faith is the absence of clinging. It’s the trust of oneself to the total unknown. In other words, one wouldn’t give it a thought if he had faith.

Yup, people pull God from their pocket. He’s their rainyday friend.

I’m not sure I follow that logic either.

Yes he came to fulfill the law and on the cross he said “it is finished.”

Yes that’s the “faith without works is dead” passage. Faith causes the right works; not works causing the faith. We know a tree by the fruit it bears and out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks.

Same here.

That is why I have stated your knowledge database is too shallow and narrow.
The point is when I post my views it is not easy for me to post everything I know of thus I do take short cuts.
But if you are well read, you would have understood and know some of the missing links [obviojus] I did not posts.

Note:

1. The Expression of the Emotions in Man and Animals (1872): by Darwin
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Expre … nd_Animals

2. Anxiety-Related Behaviors in Mice
    ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK5221/

From 1 and 2 we can link anxiety [a secondary emotion] between mice (2) and humans (1).
There has been loads of research on emotions in man and animals since 1872 to the present.

1. I have given links between anxiety and religion

2. Scientists has traced anxiety cells in mice.

3. Therefore they can eventually trace anxiety cells in humans note the Human Connectome Project [HCP].

4. Therefore in future with advances in the HCP, humans will be able to link anxiety cells to religions [3]

I stated it is not a big leap because the Eastern religions [since thousands of years ago] are already linking religions with anxiety albeit not on the level of the specific anxiety cells but in trial and error [black box] methods involving the brain/mind.

Buddhist Psychological Practices That Can Help Relieve Anxiety
huffingtonpost.com/josh-kor … 08520.html

Working Mindfully with Anxiety
psychologytoday.com/blog/th … ly-anxiety

The above and many others actuality with the HCP and other advances in knowledge give me an optimism of high probability.

As you can see, what is missing on part is the extra knowledge and practices necessary to answer the questions you posed.
There are still loads of missing [quite necessary] knowledge I have not posted due to time constraints. Note I don’t want to waste too much time digging unless necessary.

Nah, what I meant is your counter argument lack substance.
As above, there are additional knowledge which you are lacking, thus effecting the substance of your counter argument or rejection.

Note there is a fact, there is consensus, but in this case it does not mean the fact of a consensus = truth [justified or reasonable].
As I mentioned I don’t consideration to the consensus you have with others, what matter is whether the arguments you produced are of substance [justified] or not.

Rejected my opinions??
I have intellectual integrity and I strive to counter arguments as accurate as possible.
So far there you have not produced any justified refutations.
Note in the above case re anxiety, mice, religions, you are ignorant of so many other necessary knowledge to link them as a whole.
I have never said my arguments are ‘perfect’ NEVER! - the default is I am waiting for sound arguments of substance to counter my views.

Humans are not infallible - fact!

Can’t you see the answers in the last statement above.
Emotions are intrinsic and inherent is ALL humans and animals.
Where did this come from if not from the DNA [nature]?
Otherwise you think it is from Nurture?

I believe the above is new knowledge to you? [any thanks from you? :icon-rolleyes: ] It must be else you would not have queried me with the above question.

Re 1 - all emotions [anxiety is one] are driven by neurons. Thus there must be anxiety neurons [brain cells]. The anxiety emotions are to facilitate survival, thus existential, and procreation - also existential.

Re 2. I have already given links and reference. If not sure, just google.

I did not claim that.
Religions assuage existential angst in theists and non-theists [e.g. Buddhism is a non-theistic religion].
I have already given links above re Religion [Buddhism] and anxiety.

Existential angst is one kind of anxiety which is primal.
Note the link between religion and the relieving of existential angst and existential crisis.
https://www.nepjol.info/index.php/JPAN/article/view/11836
Existential Psychology & Buddha Philosophy: It’s Relevance in Nurturing a Healthy Mind

The references I have provided are quickie reference as I don’t want to waste time extracting a proper list.

I stated and qualified, religions as driven by the existential crisis is a form of ‘mental illness’ in the broadest sense.

This is why in its extreme case, the consequences are the following evils and violence;

plus a whole range of evils and violence around the world.

You cannot be that selfish.
Note what is critical re Philosophy is anticipating what are possible opportunities and threats in the future and planning how to deal with them in the future. Besides it would be better to die optimistic [support by justifiable speculationss] than being pessimistic and helpless.

Whatever said is not critical.
What is most critical is I am still waiting for counter arguments of substance.

The term ‘peer’ is subjective and depending on how one defines it. It no point getting too serious about it.
As I had stated what counts is the substance of the counter arguments from the other side.

When I post in philosophy forums I am expecting the following;

1. Sound and credible counter arguments of substance,
  2. Even if the arguments are not of substance, I will still discuss some it [in this case and others] that enable a refresher of knowledge I have learned. Note I don’t participate in all areas and questions raised in this forum.
  3. Learning something new [it does happen at times].

Even at present scientists are able to link religious variables to certain parts of the brain using fMRI imagings. But this is still at a very crude stage.
Note the Human Connectome Project.

The objective of the HCP is to map all the neuron pathways in the brain and relate them to their functions.
Once it was thought mapping the Human Genome was impossible, but scientists had already done that - which give optimism for the possibility of the HCP.
HCP is definitely tough but not impossible, even if we can achieve a 75% completeness it would something significant and will enable scientists to differentiate anxiety cells and their pathways between being religious and eating a piece of chocolate.

Serendipper,

Very insightful.

Correct. We are free of the law. Salvation has superseded it, but the caveat of salvation is that we must believe in order to be saved. I find no aspect of theistic religions that is without a conditional clause.

That’s a good point. It is problematic for someone in the dark to find a way out as they’re not able to see the way out. That’s where a set of guiding principles comes in, which can be offered by a religion or a secular means of self-improvement.

Is the rat brain sophisticated enough to imagine its own impending demise?

Yes and the conditional clause is the problem:

Which law do I follow / which thing do I believe? (presumption to know)
I do the right works and you don’t / I believe the right thing and you don’t. (cause for bragging)
How can I make myself do the unnatural / how can I make myself believe in something? (voluntarily doing the involuntary)

So, nothing has changed; only the names.

How can we decide which guiding principles to choose?

This reminds me of something Alan Watts said:

[i]I went to a meeting of geneticists not so long ago where they gathered in a group of philosophers and theologians and said, “Now look here; we need help! We now are on the verge of figuring out how to breed any kind of human character we would want to have. We can give you saints, philosophers, scientists, great politicians, anything you want; just tell us what kind of human beings ought we to breed.”

So I said how will those of us who are genetically unregenerate make up our minds what genetically generated people might be? Because I’m afraid very much that our selection of virtues and may not work. It may be like, for example, this new kind of high-yield grain which is made and which is becoming ecologically destructive. When we interfere with the processes of nature and breed ‘efficient plants’ and ‘efficient animals’, there’s always some way in which we have to pay for it and I can well-see that eugenically produced human beings might be dreadful; we could have a plague of virtuous people![/i]

18:30 here youtube.com/watch?v=US3dsStNHfg

If we are in a state of disrepair, how can we presume to know how to repair ourselves? All too often it is arrogance and if arrogance is the defect, then how can we cavalierly prune it out? We’re beating a drum in search of a fugitive lol

You can’t recognize counterarguments of substance.

It’s your loss.

Pris,

Which I am under no obligation to agree with.

That is the claim, but I remain sceptical. Because certain cells react to certain “anxiety” causing stimuli in mice, does not as a certainty mean that they are “anxiety cells". If you want to buy that it is your discretion, but don’t expect others to jump in the boat with you.

Again, from 4 to 5 is an epic leap.

Yet another epic leap. That you think these points demonstrate anything substantive is an error of judgement or logic IMV. These points are at best speculative.

I don’t doubt that there are many effective methods of reducing anxiety, but I’m not willing to speculate about the possibility of there being “anxiety cells” that can be modulated, because scientists claim to have found anxiety cells in mice. If such a breakthrough is made in the study of human physiology and is well supported, then I will begin to speculate.

That is entirely your choice. Note, there is no negative reflection on others if they choose not to think as you are. There are differing degrees of what people find acceptable and reasonable.

Sorry, but I don’t understand what you mean here.

I think that my refutations of your argument are valid, you don’t. We will have to agree to disagree.

Think of me what you will. The fact is, you stated that your argument/syllogism re “God is an impossibility” is perfect.

Are you serious? There is a reason that I don’t link anxiety, mice and religion as a whole. I don’t see the correlation and certainly not causation at this stage.

I don’t agree that existential angst is “DNA ordained” rightly or wrongly. I think that the cause of existential angst is the knowledge that we will one day cease to exist.

Not really no, it doesn’t state anything that I wasn’t generally aware of. I don’t think that your excerpt supports your argument that existential angst is “DNA ordained” and I don’t see why you think it does either?

I disagree. Can you support your argumentation here?

Hold on a minute. The claim is that scientists found anxiety cells in mice, how does it follow therefrom that anxiety cells led to the creation of religion? Not in terms of your opinion, but factually.

Serendipper,

That is the million dollar question. I suppose that when we’re down, we choose the guiding principle that offers the best potential view of our future selves?

Human beings already know what’s good them, but they become distracted and confused. Once they realize their error, then they can choose the good guiding principles. That’s a common concept in all but the nihilistic philosophies/religions.

Pris,

Good luck tweaking this :laughing: .

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAVsJT9Uc_M[/youtube]

The whole process of nature is an integrated process of immense complexity and it is really impossible to tell whether anything that happens in it is good or bad because you never know what will be the consequences of the misfortune or you never know what will be the consequences of good fortune.

What does it mean to be down? Yes I think when people are down they choose religion as a convenient way to feel uplifted (superior). Churches prey on praying people.

That’s why the Stoics say that the things over which you have no control are neither good or bad … they are indifferent. The things over which you have control are either good or bad - your thoughts and your actions.

The Taoist are opposite and claim that your nature is infinitely more wise than your consciousness. The Zen school is often called the sudden school because it discourages thinking about solutions in lieu of spontaneity; in other words, do something quickly even if it’s “wrong”.

“Your nature” is to think. That’s what distinguishes humans from other animals.

Throwing your brain into the garbage seems to be a bad idea.

Yeah, I thought of that. I’m not sure how the Taoists rationalize that. Apparently, I am the illusion and therefore any conscious thoughts I have aren’t real, but the illusion also exists in reality, so I’m not sure of the differentiation.

Animals think.

I don’t think the idea is to throw the brain in the trash but to let the unconscious part take more control than the conscious. Don’t think, but feel.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2d5o8d1kitM[/youtube]

Maybe animals feel but don’t think. :-"