The Brain Creates Religion

What is critical is one must have a model to start with, otherwise one will easily get lost.

Note I mentioned,
within the sutras many alternative detailed approaches are provided for each of the above main elements.
This will require one to spent years of studying and practicing utilizing the generic model above.

Yes, not all problems will be resolved but with a model and system, one will understand specifically and objectively where the shortfalls are where one has to look more aggressively for solution or accept them till new knowledge and resources are available.

Example note my problem with how to resolve the terrible evils arising from religions especially Islam.
From the model and system I used, I understand the mechanics and processes of the problem but due to lack of knowledge and resources I am aware the problem cannot be resolved immediate or even the near future but only possible [based on trend] in the further future.

Call it what you want, it’s not justified true belief, is it? So your claim that everything in Buddhism is JTB is refuted.

Don’t change the subject. You asked “Will the representative of any Abrahamic religion make the above declarations?”

And I showed you that Catholicism has done that repeatedly and that they don’t see any problem with scientific discoveries.

There is an omission here.
Generally what is Scientific knowledge is JTB or at least empirically possible in scientific theories and speculations.
Since I have aligned Buddhist theories with Science, everything that is claimed with Buddhist core principles* must be JTB or empirically possible.

• I stress on core principles because there are some Buddhist sects that deviate from the core principles into weird fantasies.

I don’t think they will voluntarily make such a declaration but were force to do so due to proof and evidences provided.

Note Christians are still fighting against the theory of evolution and others.

I would say most believe in rebirth and a large percentage of these think of it very much like reincarnation. Even some of the masters will avoid weighing in. YOu keep referring to Buddhism, which has many branches, and is practiced in all sorts of ways, but all sorts of people with very different understandings of Buddhism, as it if was a monolithic object. It’s not.

This is considered poor justification. And even by you regarding God.

B

I do not see how anyone can deny that feel good chemicals in the brain are there to stabilize the system whether or not the instability comes from external or internal sources. The problem here is making a fable out of a function. You expect me to research the fable?
BTW, is English your second language? You seem to have difficulty with subject/verb agreement. “Buddhism do not believe”, etc.

If I understand your post, you’re saying that you have created your own version of Buddhism (let’s call it True Buddhism) which excludes everything that you don’t consider JTB. Some Buddhists, and honestly that could be the majority, have other beliefs but these are really weird fantasies and those Buddhists are not True Buddhists.

Is that it? :open_mouth:

I don’t understand what you expect them to do. You want them to make declarations without “proof and evidences”??

The Dalai Lama said “If scientific analysis were conclusively to demonstrate certain claims in Buddhism to be false, then …”

He’s not making any declarations without “proof and evidences” either.

The Catholic church does not deny evolution, nor do the majority of Protestant sects.

You’re thinking of Fundamentalist Protestants in the USA and using them as the archetype of all Christians.

Some other view held by scientists about the origins of religion:

1. Children are predisposed to anthropomorphize the world. These children become adults and continued this in the past.
    sciencedaily.com/releases/2 … 103828.htm
  2. Psychoactive plants gave early humans experiences of dead relatives
    singingtotheplants.com/2008/ … in-africa/
    Modern users also have experiences of dead relatives seemingly in another realm, so some scientists believe that use of psychoative substances may actually be the roots of religion
  3. HADD, hypersensitive agency-detecting device - this is similar to one, but comes at it more as an early adult human would find this capacity useful.
    humanreligions.info/hyperact … ction.html

Now as as a theist I do not accept the lack of a deity. But this is in response to the OP’s hypothesis as being the only or even the major hypothesis about the origin’s of religion.

People like Prismatic like to focus on people’s fears as the source of their beliefs. This may well be projection on their part, since they cannot even seem to imagine OTHER hypotheses that are compatible with atheism.

Why?

I think, though I am not sure, that it gives people like Prismatic a sense of superiority. He doesn’t believe in God. He can face the truth. Not only are theists wrong, but they are people driven by their fears. So he is epistemologically superior AND psychologically superior. He might simply not be well read in science. Even so what he is doing is perpetuating not the best atheist JTB’s about why people are religious and one that denigrate most of the people on the planet. Which should be embarrassing.

You’re using JTB as if it is a specific epistemological position. It is more a way of defining knowledge at the meta-level. Different people will have different ideas about what constitutes good justification, sufficient justification, etc.

Empirically possible. What has been considered in science as empirically possible has shifted over time.

In science, for example, it was considered either not possible or unknowable if animals were conscious, had cognitive processes etc. In fact it would fuck up your career to say otherwise. All along ordinary people knew animals has consciousness and science has let go of its bias and confusion on this point.

There are paradigmatic shifts inside science. Empirically possible is very much an unusable term. One can say that something does not seem to fit with current models, but given what was considered not possible within the history of science and then turned out to be possible, your term is useless, though the thinking behind it is unfortunately quite common, even within science where they should know better.

I am aware of the point you are making, i.e. completeness.
I have spent years researching on Buddhism and strive to have a complete coverage of the whole subject of Buddhism.
The main schools of Buddhism are Theravada, Mahayanna and Vajrayana surrounding by its respective sects to extreme cults. In addition the above are also different in different locations and group of people. I have read all the main sutras of the 3 main schools of Buddhism.
In my folder ‘Buddhism’ I have 3000+ files in 284 folders where I strive to cover and be as complete as possible on the subject of Buddhism.
If you can show any thing of what I have not covered, then I will read it up.

Regardless of whatever the variations and forms, what hold for Buddhism are its core principles. e.g. impermanence, anatta, dependent origination, and others.

The above is my interpretation of what I have read from the Dalai Lama’s books.
There is no way the Dalai Lama as a high ranked Buddhist will believe in an independent soul that transmigrates to another new body.

From what I read, I don’t think the Dalai Lama personally believe in his school’s practice of finding the next Dalai Lama via the concept of remnants of vibrations appearing in another child. This is merely a cultural practice to retain continuity*. This is why the current Dalai Lama mentioned he could the last Dalai Lama of his school and ‘he’ will not reappear in another child.

• In Japanese Buddhism, continuity is maintained by passing the chief’s baton to the son.

I am from the East and English is not my second language, thus my grammar competence is not habituated.

Note you claimed,
“Feeling good may, as I continue to emphasize, may only be the indication that everything is working properly.”
I am giving you the exceptions, i.e. feeling good do not necessary indicate that everything is working properly.
What is wrong with that when I have given you the evidences?

My thesis is this;

1. All humans has an inherent potential to suffer terrible existential brain pains.
  2. The majority suffer those pains mainly subliminally and also explicit.
  3. Being human, people are driven to seek solutions.
  4. The brain creates religions [God & no-god] as a solution to relieve those existential brain pains.

God is conjured by theists as a basis for their religion to relieve the brain pains.
It is not that God pre-existed and therefore humans rushed to believe in it.
It is because humans are predisposed to suffer an unavoidable existential pains.
Therefore humans strived and their brain create religions which produce feel good juices to relieve those existential pains.

Nope I have not created my own version of Buddhism.
My concept of true Buddhism is abstracted from those propounded by the various ‘PhD’ level Buddhist teachings and their teachers. I agree with their views which is in alignment with the core principles of Buddhism as introduced by the Buddha.

If you do a survey, you will note the majority of lay-Buddhists everywhere pray and idolize the statues of the Buddha, the larger the better, pray with joss-sticks, made offerings to the statues, etc. Some monks practice asceticism. The above are not recommended [but not prohibited] by the Buddha.

As such many Buddhists [lay and even monks] believe in many views that are not JTB which are not acceptable within Buddhism-proper.
Btw, no one is complaining on this within the Buddhist community, but those in the know, hope these Buddhists will progress from the current base. Some did progress and some don’t.

Will the Pope say something like;

“If scientific analysis were conclusively to demonstrate certain claims in Christianity to be false, then we must accept the findings of science and abandon those claims.”

Then we will have a large number of non-theists [especially] challenging the Pope on the claims in Genesis and all over the Bible with Scientific references and the Pope then will have to eat his words.

Point is the Pope and other theistic religious leaders will not dare to make the declaration like what the Dalai Lama did because they know their doctrines [faith based] are very flimsy. So why invite trouble for the religion.

Nope I did not claim the OP is the only or main basis hypothesis about the origin’s of religion.
The main hypothesis as I have stated within this thread is the existential psychological factors. This is a very complex issue.

Note my main reason for the critique of theism is led from real experiences and evidence, e.g. this stats restricted to incidents that involve death;

There are loads of other evil acts committed by SOME [significant quantum potential of >300 million] theists who are evil prone.

Personally I am [all almost every human is] seriously effected by the terrors spread by these ‘SOME’ theists.

As a concerned citizen of humanity, I have to find and contribute views of solutions to the above for the sake of humanity in the future [as impossible for immediate effective solution at present].

Theists are very selfish in clinging to theism for their own psychological security and comfort thus compelled to turning a blind eye to research and understand the evils related to theism are from theism itself.

He won’t eat anything. The Catholic Church has never interpreted scriptures literally. There are no scientific claims in Genesis to argue about.
All over the Bible? Like what? That the Earth is flat? That the sun revolves around Earth?

Nonsense.

Note the only way for scientific knowledge to be JTB is to justify it within the Scientific Framework and System, i.e. especially Scientific Method, peer review, etc. There is no other way for a scientist to justify any scientific hypothesis as a scientific theory.

Thus for Buddhism one of its justification can be borrowed from scientific knowledge together with its own philosophical rationalization.

Empirically possible is a principle that is not expected change with time as far as science is concern.

Empirically possible meant whatever the scientific hypothesis or speculation, it must have empirical elements only.

If I say, “it is empirically possible for science to confirm there is a tea pot orbiting a planet some light years away in the Universe
that is a valid scientific speculation [not hypothesis].
This is definitely empirically possible because all the specific elements individually within the speculation are empirical. This can be confirm when the possible empirical evidence for justifications.
However, any normal person will know the empirical possibility of the above at present is very very slim, perhaps 0.0000001%.

If I use ‘squared-circle’ then the whole statement is not empirically possible at all because a ‘squared-circle’ is an empirically impossible.

Once again you are asking me to believe your or your professors’ fable about a brain function. You will not admit that there is more than one way of interpreting the function or that there are numerous claims about the origin of religion or the falsification of scientific theory. Or if you do, you fail to see how such claims can question the basic mantra you claim as absolute truths. The fault is in the focus.

duplicate

This sentence is really confused. IF it is scientific knowledge, then it has been justified within that system. So you are being redundant. Another sloppiness is you are using the term JTB which is from philosophy as if it is used in science AND as if it is one thing. It is not used by scientists, the term is not, AND it is not one thing. JTB is a suggestion for how one conceives of knowledge. It is not a methodology, it is not a set of specific criteria. It is an idea inside philosophy and philosophical discussions about how one can and some believe should think about knowledge. Since JTB does not specfic what kind of justification, we know that we are a high level of abstraction. It is not something to be confused with the scientific method, though the scientific method could be argued to be a kind of JTB. The problem with saying that the scientific method is JTB is that science is wary of using T (truth).

But it has changed. I also think it is a poor phrase and you should define it. Generally empirically either means through experience or experiment. Of course this changes over time. We may experience things and have, in science, and also outside, that were not experiences before. Technological advances increase what can be experimented and what can be experienced. So with any common use of the word empirically you are demonstrably incorrect here.

hypothesis or speculation? That, even in science, can be ANYTHING AT ALL.

Right, and since we now know there are ‘things’ confirmed by science that we did not know earlier in time, empirically possible changes.

A square is not empirically possible since it is made up of two dimensional components. It is a non-existent abstraction. I get what you are trying to say but it shows you are confusing two realms 1) math and the empirical world 2) particles that are also waves should have been self contradictory, but it turns out their are not. Particles - like a single electron, can interfere with themselves as if they are waves. The wave particle duality WAS TREATED JUST LIKE YOU ARE SAYING SQUARING THE CIRCLE WAS, until experimentation, the slit experiments, showed it was not only possible it was the case.

So your example here 1) shows me you don’t really get what empirical means since you bring in squared circle which is abstractions has to do with deduction not empirical research, but further you seem to have no idea that things that scientific models would have once ruled out as self-contradictory HAVE TURNED OUT TO BE THE CASE.

You have a non-historical view of science and this leads to all sorts of confusions.

Yup, you have. You have repeated it over and over in threads all over the place.

Suddenly you say this.

[b][i][u]

[/u][/i][/b] And here you say it again. Again you repeat this hypothesis despite just having been show other hypotheses held within the scientific community.

YOu are impervious to learning.

Goodbye.

I thought I was the one who is stating there are many ways, e.g. giving exceptions to your sole claim.

Do you have any counter argument to my thesis?

My thesis is this;

1. All humans has an inherent potential to suffer terrible existential brain pains.
  2. The majority suffer those pains mainly subliminally and also explicit.
  3. Being human, people are driven to seek solutions.
  4. The brain creates religions [God & no-god] as a solution to relieve those existential brain pains.