Equanimity

Note what I posted above, i.e.

Note my point above against Buddhism as an organized religion.

What I had proposed is to extract the positive universal values which Buddhism has many and combined them with positive values from elsewhere and repackage them as a generic solution to the fundamental existential problem.

Your thinking is faulty here due to hasty generalization.
Have you studied Buddhism in its full range and perspective before you come up with your criticisms.

Why and how?

You are overly sensitive over this.
It is a fact it is so common where people committed so-called evil acts based on ignorance.

I had stated the fundamental of all the above is equanimity which basically is developed via the following;

Based on research by various neuroscientists, e.g. Antonio Damasio and others, it is noted ‘emotions’ are very critical for human development. One cannot suppressed one’s emotions totally but one must modulate and manage one’s emotions effectively. To do so one must cultivate a state of equanimity plus emotional intelligence.

Note Aristotle on the modulation of anger, one type of emotion;

The above is applicable to all emotions so that one’s emotions are not driven blindly.

As for thrill, not all are thrill seekers, but for those who seek thrills for creativity sake, they don’t do it blindly but with a sense of calculated-risks. Such require a degree of equanimity.

I’m not sensitive at all. I just understand how manipulation works.

You want me to think : “oh, I don’t want be associated with immorality and murder so I better say that equanimity is good.”

or “oh, rejecting equanimity is just like accepting murder. I don’t agree with murder so I need to accept equanimity.”

It’s all bullshit. It’s all based on pushing someone’s emotional buttons.

You are simply shooting arrows at the term ‘equanimity’ without bothering to understand what is equanimity.

Note the critical point in that article;

Your claim is equanimity stifle creativity.
The above prove you wrong.
The above sort of ‘calmness’ arises from a cultivated state of equanimity.

How can one who has lost control of their emotions be creative when they are overwhelmed by their emotions. If there is any ounce of creativity from these highly emotional disturbed mood swingers, those creativity would have come out when they are calm [a quality of equanimity, albeit low in this case]. These people are suffering from some kind of mental disorders which no ordinary person would want to promote or strive for.

Thus the most effective way to seek creativity without any danger of mental disorders is via the cultivation of a state of equanimity [not apathy, ‘frozen’ mental paralysis or indifference] ’

You are still overly sensitive on this.
I have no such intentions at all.
All I did was stating facts to avoid being blunt and offensive just in case of misunderstanding.
Point is, if I don’t qualify, some people will take it as a direct insult.

Some random guy says something in a blog and it’s a proof or foundation for a proof?

Again equating lack of equanimity with mental disorders.
](*,)

I am not insisting on that.
Given the limitation within a discussion in a forum, it is one clue and a lead for one to seek further reinforcements.

You are complaining due to the lack of depth and width in your knowledge database.

Note it is well known there are many creative people who were recognized as mad and within other DSM categories.
Note Van Gogh, Sylvia Plath and others.
Those who suffer from severe depression has extreme mood swings from disturbed to normalcy.

This is what I meant by my above statement.
These creative people are unfortunately suffering from some kind of mental disorders which no ordinary person would want to promote or strive for to gain creativity. What is wrong with this?

They don’t lose creativity, they lose too much creativity. Of course, it’s their decision how they are going to live their lives. I’m just saying that equanimity =/= no creativity. It means less creativity if it means anything. And less is oftentimes more.

The East has one quality that the West lacks and that is holism or in plain terms the right brain.

You forgot to say ‘height’. :banana-linedance:
:sad-bored: Your personal ‘evaluations’ got tiresome a long time ago.

Equanimity is equivalent to today’s buzzword “mindfulness” [from Buddhism], which in turn, is synonymous with hypnosis, or altered state of consciousness.

The Science of Meditation and the State of Hypnosis:
asch.net/portals/0/journalli … olroyd.pdf

The effects of meditation and hypnosis are similar:

“Dropping of the awareness of the environment and loss of sense of separate self”

“…letting go of awareness of physical sense perception and space, psychological (and consciousness) boundaries…”

“Presence of theta waves in frontal area correspond to shutting down of executive and choice functions…, desire for action…and switching off of neural connections”

“The evidence indicates that both hypnosis and concentration meditation result in inhibitory patterns, particularly in middle and frontal cortical areas associated with executive functions and cognitive control”

The question is then posted as to whether the practice of mindful meditation increases one’s suggestability [due to increased presence of alpha and theta brain waves].

There are similarities and differences between meditation and hypnosis.

eocinstitute.org/meditation/med … ilarities/

There are lots of articles on this topic.

Basically meditation is for the overall well-being including specific areas of the individual, OTOH, hypnosis often has a specific target in mind.

Often the scare mongering by those who are anti-meditation and do not understand meditation is falsely presented as meditation empties the mind and thus make it vulnerable for Satan to get in.

Generally there are two types of meditation, i.e.

1. Concentration
  2. Mindfulness

Both are necessary and concentration facilitates mindfulness.

Experiences of altered states of consciousness do happen during meditation but they are not the objective of meditation and the meditator is often advised to let such experiences go and one should not crave for it no matter how ecstatic the epiphany or experiences.

I don’t simply make such a statement without the justifications.

To add; if any one were to advise me with supporting justifications I will take their advice and update myself and I have been doing a lot of such in the past.

reminds me of this article (scroll down to decognition process and persuasion techniques).
dicksutphen.com/battle-for-your-mind.html
The right brain is often targeted in hypnosis, NLP, and other brainwashing techniques, while the left is being immobilized or distracted.

In a manner of speaking…Yes!

… and Satan inspired “busy-ness” keeps God out? :smiley:

Do tell me more.

Other than it being false…Sure! (note the use of the exclamation mark) Without right brain functions we also have all sorts of problems. Someone says right brain skills are missing in the West. You argue AS IF this is a call for the elimination of the left brain. See the problem?

Like you are at work and and someone says we need to get better at having better designs on our products.
Your response: if our products have no contents, we will lose business.
Head bang.

Perhaps if while you meditate someone is there telling you things. I mean, that is perhaps. In hypnosis you have someone telling you things. Someone utilizes your open state for a purpose.