Does anyone else experience psychic abilities

Thanks! I have defined the phenomena as best I can… an internal/external dichotomy of dialogue seems to be the defining factor in differentiating the normal from the paranormal, which is the basis of the beginnings of all these events.

Understanding is preferable to believing, for those that don’t believe or conceive of such things.

I tend to agree for I have experienced it. The basis has to be an overwhelming absolute need to sort out the differences.

My personal testament, however, may be suspect to doubt, in accordance with any claims relating to psychic experience.

One starkly comes to mind is the dreamscape generated by my Polanyi subconscious experience. To my knowledge, (the conscious one), never has that name ever been one of which I could claim to have any prey or exposure to, especially in the context it became vocally.

This is why I am a believer in the practical cognitive ways a prior posited problem keeps working in the sub-conscious state.

It has become an absolute conviction by now.

I specifically responded to what you wrote as can be seen by what I quote and where I made the arugment. Here you present me with a strawman, as if I said something silly. This is disingenous and leads me to think you are not worth discussing things with.

I apologize for any confusion here, I was referring to the distinction in the subjective experience of compulsion and desire. I only meant that I have no reason to doubt that these feel different to you, and was calling back to Unknowing’s accusation that I’m unwilling to accept what I don’t experience. I don’t experience such a distinction, but I have no reason to doubt that others do.

This is question begging. We agree you felt something, and we disagree about the cause of that feeling. The impression that a compulsion was externally caused is not particularly strong evidence that the compulsion was in fact externally caused. We can trick ourselves into feeling external influence fairly easily (see, e.g., the ideomotor response). No information provided by the compulsions was anything you couldn’t have known, and nothing that happened is so extraordinary that the only or best explanation is that an external force acted upon you. What you felt may have seemed externally caused, but the mundane explanation is that it was not.

Perhaps they did. That does not mean that anything extraordinary was going on. The situation you described, when stripped of the subjective significance you’ve given it (and that your friend and dreamcatcher-vendor may have given it), is a mundane and predictable experience: you didn’t buy the last dreamcatcher, then someone else did.

There is of course a difficulty in conveying an experience like this, especially in this context. But I think it’s reasonable to take the skeptical stance as the default. You’re claiming that some force unknown to science influenced you in violation of every physical law. That’s an extraordinary claim. That’s a claim that, if vindicated, would have far reaching consequences, not least in requiring an explanation for why it’s never been detected in any sort of controlled condition. When faced with an extraordinary claim, with evidence that admits easily of much more ordinary explanations, we should favor the ordinary explanations, even if that means accepting that your feeling of compulsion was endogenous and your brain misled you. That too is an ordinary experience for humans.

Haha nice dodge!

Yeah don’t worry too much about discussing things further :laughing: You don’t seem up to it.

1. You said I assume to know all of their cognitive processes, I explained how the use of logic means I don’t need to. Literally what you said: no strawman.
  2. As such, due to my use of logic, it doesn’t matter if there are being experienced any exceptions to types of experiences that I have had (I even claimed they’re likely very similar but misinterpreted due to various rational factors such as under-appreciating statistics and being susceptible to well documented psychological phenomena that can mess up how you remember something that you later attribute to predicting a current event). Again, directly applicable to your point about ruling out exceptions to my experiences: no strawman.
  3. Finally I showed how I don’t have to overcome the problem of minds when I can use logic in this case to bypass it: no strawman.

My conclusion in my previous post was arrived at by the use of logic, and you are trying to claim that I could only surmise what I did if I was in fact psychic - a vain attempt to call me out as a hypocrite.

Ergo: my summation of your post as “You want to claim that using logic is or can be psychic?”

Soooo… you guessed it… NO STRAWMAN :-"

And you messed up who you were quoting in your post FYI :smiley:
You have successfully shown yourself to be just as silly as he has, congratulations.

I’ve never had a psychic experience in my life, wish I did, I’m open to such possibilities.

Did anyone else ever find a wallet or photo ID in astral travel?
I tell you that shit is WEIRD
I cant say a lot but the future is fixed or something,

fucking weird

but it should be when you think about it because -
well,
the future is a result of the past. We are just along for the ride. We can look ahead apparently pretty fucking far.

WEIRDO ALERT
truth be told

I think psychic abilities are the result of consciessness trying to decipher that hidden channel between the transcendent and the imminent reality , between the posited ideal and the extemporenious possible.

This hidden channel has got to surface in the event of in implausible state of particular being, and oft it is misunderstood , it comes through as clearly and visibly as any kind of extra celestial message. The thing is, most people are not capable to deal with it or even begin to make sense out of it

It may be mundane, but it’s unnecessary. There is no reason not to be agnostic. Raising the issue is fine. Not being convinced is fine, but there is, it seems to me, an unnecessary rush to classify people’s experiences in ways that we feel comfortable with. To let them know they are probably wrong and we have categorized it correctly. I think that is a poor social dynamic. You are talking about what went on in her mind. That ought to give any philosopher who does not believe in psychic phenomena pause.

I like it, but if I am interpreting your “quasi-math” analysis correctly, the most truthful events according to your equation are those that happen the least often and the least unreliably (that is to say the most rarely and the most reliably).

I would say that the most truth tends to be attributed to those events that are the most common and the most reliable. This would only require that S’s definition be changed to “whatever counts as ‘rare’” but P’s definition can stay the same.

The issue with the interpretation of psychic ability is that due to the expected selection bias in the face of uncanny coincidence, the frequency and reliability is overstated in the mind of the person who witnessed the kind of event that lends itself to the interpretation of being a result of psychic abilities by certain susceptible people. In their minds, both S and P are lower than if the events were analysed more objectively, enough such that there seems to be some truth to them, when in reality the events occur no more often and reliably than statistical chance within the expected bell-curve.

On the contrary, it’s all too easy to make some sense of it in fantastical ways. Most people are not capable to deal with it or even begin to make sense out of it in realistic ways. It’s like the explanation of “God” rather than quantifying phenomena and equating concepts mathematically. The latter is harder but you can actually use it in your real life, making it realistic and not fantasy, which just feels nice.

It depends on your definition of reality.

As in my above response to Carleas, anything that seems significant and can be analysed objectively and shown not to be more significant than random chance is unrealistic. Psychic abilities have never been shown to be more significant than random chance, and not for lack of trying!

Now, psychics will often rationalise this as the conditions of scientific experiments giving off “bad vibes” and “blocking their connection” - invalidating the same conditions that allowed humans to build computers, the internet, vehicles, skyscrapers etc. whether or not bad vibes are given off or any connection to a psychic world has been blocked.
And mystics will often claim that some truths can be hidden within what has been written off as random chance and are intrinsically not frequent in their nature and thus not analysable in the only ways of which we “yet” know how to reliably judge the reality. Somehow they just “know” such things to be real despite not conforming to objective testing, meaning they have a different criteria for what constitutes reality, which is conveniently only available to them - and perhaps a chosen few who turn out to be the most susceptible to suggestion upon further investigation.

A pre-requisite of communicating a definition of reality is that it can be meaningfully transferred to the mind of another rational person without issue, so by all means “give pause” to definitions of reality that can’t be communicated to rational minds without issue, but appreciate the (what I have just explained to be by definition) insurmountable conundrum that you have opened your mind to if you choose to do so.

Just because you can’t reproduce something in the lab, doesn’t mean it’s not happening in nature.
Psychic abilties may not able to be flicked on/off like a lightswitch on command.
Genuine preminitions may come without warning, (somewhat) spontaneously, or they may require a genuine need, someone or something in danger or distress, in order to activate them.

Not everything that does exist needs to be proven to scientists in a lab, it could be some of the most important phenomena in life are too intricate, delicate and mysterious to replicate in a clinical, sterile fashion, but nonetheless we may be able to prove them to ourselves.

How animals behave in captivity or the lab and the wild can be two very different things.
For example it’s notoriously difficult to get pandas to breed in captivity, it rarely occurs, yet of course it’s occurring in the wild, likewise predicting things beyond chance may rarely occur in the lab, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t happening more frequently outside of it.

Scientists cannot perfectly reproduce all the variables out in nature or society in the lab, there’s too many of them, and just one or two missing ones could completely botch the experiment.

If the spiritual worldview is predicated on the idea that consciousness, will, intention is everything, or a lot, as opposed to matter, than yes of course the intention of those conducting the experiment could adversely interfere with it, especially since this phenomena would be entirely intention based, not material based, I don’t see that as a copout or excuse at all, it’s just keeping in line with their fundameantal beliefs about the nature of reality.

I’m not saying we should trust psychics or our own premonitions if we happen to have any, but myself I’ll give them and it a chance, be open to them and it at least, perhaps even believe in it a little bit more than not, that there’s something to it even if it’s not exactly what they think it is, and perhaps I’ll be pleasantly surprised.

Scientists may be rigging experiments too, most scientists are atheists and aspiritual, many may even be antitheists, so perhaps they’re downplaying the results.
When a team of researchers are Christians or being funded by Christians or some other religious or spiritual organization, other scientists are quick to claim the experiment was biased and dismiss it offhand, but what if the majority of scientists who design the experiments and interpret the results are just as biased against this phenomena, they may not be wiling to give it a fair hearing.

It’s not scientists who are the problem. It’s the “psychics” and self-proclaimed believers who are the problem. First, not only do (psychics and believers) completely invalidate their ‘experiments’ on a rational and scientific level, they don’t even try. Because to try (science) would be embarrassing. Secondly, psychics and believers completely rely on ‘emotional’ language, “feelings”, dreams, subjectivity, testimony, and personal experience. The more a phenomenon is completely subjective (cannot be reproduced in a laboratory), the more it can be automatically doubted by science, logic, rationality, and intellegencia.

Let’s take levitation as an example. People cannot levitate. It’s never been documented nor reproduced in a laboratory. People may claim it, but, no evidence or proof offered, ever. There are television magicians who claim it, but, they are rigged and shown to be rigged. Again take UFOs, levitating heavy objects in the sky. Not even the best human technologies have yet been able to reproduce the phenomenon. Thus even if it had any truth and validity, cannot be proved by science, and hence would be a ‘super’ natural phenomenon. That means it’s beyond the scope of human ability and intellect.

As I mentioned before, “magic” is traditionally the (mis)interpretation of highly advanced and supra-logical technologies. An ‘elevator’ would seem “magical” to a 12th Century peasant, even an 18th Century peasant.

Therefore if psychic-ism had any validity then it would be on the supra-logical, high intelligent side of humanity, not on the mediocre and lower levels. Thus subjectivity, personal testimonies, would not be readily offered as sufficient ‘psychic’ evidence. It’s not. Furthermore the descriptive language trend of psychic-ism would be instantly ruled out. Even if being a psychic were true, were possible, those using and duplicating it, would still not resort to personal testimony and subjectivism to convince others of it. This is why supra-logical, high intelligence, genius, etc rely on Objectivism (Science) and not subjectivism in the first place. Subjectivism is not convincing, to anybody but women and children.

I felt it, is not an argument. It is an excuse. Therefore you (psychics and believers) have no convincing arguments, no evidence, and must resort to descriptive language as the backbone of your arguments and presentations. It’s openly false. Childish. A prepubescent teenager, 13 year old, believing in magician tricks and Santa Clause.

Just because it can’t be reproduced in a controlled experiment, doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist, or that we can’t experience it, and make some sense of it.
There are some primitive peoples now living in the Amazonian jungle.
Some of these people have never come into contact with civilized peoples, some of them only a handful of times.
They may try to make sense of their encounters.
They may try to meaningfully prepare for our next arrival, prepare gifts for us, if they think we’re friendly, or prepare for battle, if they think we’re hostile.
Not everyone in their village or surrounding villages may have seen us, but many will believe the ones who have, saying to themselves: well I know these people, they’re trustworthy, their body language seems genuine, they’ve never made up anything anywhere near this magnitude before, and it’s not just one or two of them but dozens from different villages reporting the same or very similar things, they must’ve seen something, there’s likely something to it.

You cannot reproduce a murder, you cannot go back in time to see what occurred with your own eyes, but if you have several or dozens of credible eye witnesses, pointing time and time again to the same person, than they probably did it, and that’s sort of the kind of evidence we have for UFOs and some of this other stuff.
Dozens, hundreds of eye witnesses, sometimes from all walks of life, sometimes pilots and astronauts, who’re trained to distinguish conventional flying craft or objects from unconventional, claiming to have witnessed craft performing maneuvers light-years ahead of anything we have on record, and sometimes they capture the phenomena on video or radar as well.

Magic flying elephants who live in deep space are out there. We don’t know it. We can’t reproduce it in a laboratory. But it’s “possible”.

This is the extent of your argument. Again, it is unconvincing to rational, intelligent adults. It only appeals to children and believers holding out hope in any semblance of supernatural phenomenon. It’s not about magic existing inasmuch as it represents the blind-will to believe.

To believe in any form of ridiculousness, as long as it brings hope to the believer. That’s what “psychic” and other supernatural superstition is about. Blind hope. Because a universe and existence without magic flying elephants living in deep space, is too horrendous, too painful, too ‘real’ for some, desperate people. People who must refuse the core of existence, must refuse reality in all its forms. Reality is too cruel, too painful, too intolerable. Some people are simply too weak, on a spiritual level, to confront reality, a universe without magic flying elephants living in deep space.

But who am I to deny your delusions and fantasies? Oh yeah, I’m a philosopher.

Your example gives credence to my side of the argument, not yours.

If there were any ‘mysticism’, even remotely possible, then it would be on the side of Science, Rationality, and Supra-logical (intelligent, genius) people.

Gloominary, I should thank you for recalling a memory of mine…

What does blind-faith, blind-hope, blind-will, blind-power represent? Answer:

I don’t think I’m promoting blind faith, but you may construe it as that.

Maybe the clandestine branch of government is building some of the UFOs that’re mystifying people.

We don’t have millions of cases of multiple (sometimes in the hundreds-thousands) eyewitnesses, unrelated to one another, from all walks of life, claiming to have witnessed what sounds like the exact same magic flying elephant at the exact same time and place, sometimes capturing it on radar and video too, the way we have millions of cases of mass unidentified aircraft sightings, and other paranormal sightings.

Rather than spirituality being strictly irrational and science rational, perhaps they occupy different, but equally legit domains, with little overlap between them, at least at present, since our culture has divorced them.
Just because phenomena can’t be reproduced in a lab, doesn’t mean it’s unempirical, people are witnessing and making some sense of this stuff.

They could be magic flying space elephants.

You don’t know. I thought you had psychic abilities? If you had then you should know by now that they’re magic flying space elephants.