Harvey Weinstein
Kevin Spacey
Louis C.K.
Roy Moore
John Conyers
Al Franken
Charlie Rose
Matt Lauer

A pattern I’m seeing - One person comes out with an accusation, and then a handful of others come out with similar allegations

It has me thinking “who’s next?”

Brownie points for accurate predictions

I would not even presume to think or to guess about your question. Doing so might make someone who is actually innocent into someone who is guilty.

If we were capable of doing this, why would we be so surprised at some of the above-mentioned who have been accused?
It is constantly driven home how little we may or can know of someone. We cannot judge by appearances or by intelligence or charm or altruism. People are not always who they seem to be. Plus, there is that halo effect.

Obviously, as a woman, I find that the finally- speaking out in this way is a good thing which is happening. Better late than never, I suppose.
There is a part of me however, even as a woman, who finds this to be more than a bit disturbing in another way.

I may be shot down here by particular people but as women we can also hold ourselves as being partly responsible for this. Many of these women have kept quiet out of a need to further their careers, out of fear of losing their careers (a choice which they ultimately made by keeping quiet), to obtain money, to hold what they know or have experienced out of a sense of perhaps holding something over someone’s head. I also do realize, as humans, how the effect of “conflicted goods” can create confusion within.

This is the disturbing part to me. These men do definitely need to be held accountable for their actions but perhaps many of the women do also for their lack of action in those moments and for their being quiet. How many women would not have had to suffer the consequences of this had these women taken control of their lives?

It may seem that I am being a bit harsh or more than a bit harsh but that is always at the back of my mind when someone else stands accused or comes out as it were.

Turns out it was Ruben Kihuen

Who’s next?

Turns out it was Trent Franks

Who’s next?

Everybody is playing hide the Weiner.

These kinds of allegations do a disservice to victims of legitimate, forcible rape and sexual assault.

If you fuck some guy, or let some guy grab at you so that you can get somewhere in your career, and you cash the checks, then he’s not a rapist or a sexual assaulter. You’re a prostitute.

That man touched me in my pussy forty five years ago and it wasn’t consensual, I would like a check written for ten million dollars to which you can send it at this address…

You can’t take benefits from a guy in exchange for sex or for leniency in allowing him to make advances, then turn around and accuse him of taking your vagina or coming onto you too hard. You made a deal. Fuck some guys and get on TV. Now you got on TV. So he came through with his end of the deal.

There are women out there who are getting beaten up and held down and forcibly fucked by strangers in alleyways and in dark parks in the cities at night. Those women’s plight is being cheapened by all this nonsense.

A guy put his hand too close to my ass when we were posing for a photo? A guy wouldn’t stop asking me out for drinks and we worked together? A guy told dirty jokes?

Get the fuck out of here with that shit. You’re making it harder for women who are actual victims of something worse than hurt feelings.

Mr Reasonable

I think that this is true to a large degree. But we cannot discount if these women in the work place have, in actuality, been sexually assaulted, however some of them may choose to handle the issue. I am also not discounting those devious women who would jump on the bandwagon and lie about it.

This does not make the man less culpable legally or morally/ethically for his actions. He is still a sexual predator.

On the other hand, if a woman kind of lures or seduces a man into this kind of behavior and then cries Wolf, they are both responsible for what occurs. That kind of woman does absolutely nothing for the cause of women being held with respect and esteem. BUT at the same time, it does not make the man any less responsible. A normal caring man who is not addicted to sex or a sexual predator who is into controlling and manipulating women in this way would not treat women in this way.

But I agree with you insofar as many or some of these women have chosen to handle things.
This kind of abuse is then perpetuated until someone finally speaks out. I have said that I find it to be disturbing that so much of this has been kept a secret for so long and this is true although I realize that human beings are complex creatures. Some of these women are probably faced with dealing with conflicted goods ~~ either rightfully accusing the man and turning him in for having violated her and/or seeing some kind of financial or career benefit coming out of it. Then there is fear. Thankfully there is also safety in numbers - that is, where the truth lives in these numbers.

So one thing you’ll see if you watch women’s rights is that women of color tend to be shushed for a bit longer than white women, at least in the United States. We’ve seen a couple recently like Selma Hayek, and Russell Simmons from Run DMC has been accused recently. I bet we’ll start to see more stuff from hip hop, because there are sooo many skeletons in some of those closets.

Why do you suppose that it is always prominent white men being accused while at the same time black men are being trained and conditioned to be sexual predators?

White men have also been trained and conditioned to be sexual predators. The difference is that people tend to date endogamously, and white women tend to be empowered more quickly than people of color on various women’s issues. Not because of the content of their character, but because they are given that freedom by society.

Young white women concerning racial identities also tend to be the most childless as well. Liberation comes with a heavy toll and price.

Turns out it was Dustin Hoffman.

Who’s next?

I don’t think it is so much about colour as it is about options…

Poverty probably a bigger cause there, I would imagine

Well, you aren’t American. It’s very different here.

Thank god I ain’t American then… what gives over there?