Value ontology is the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

Half-formed posts, inchoate philosophies, and the germs of deep thought.

Moderator: Only_Humean

Value ontology is the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

Postby Ultimate Philosophy 1001 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:59 pm

Quote (by me)
Satyr: Have you ever studied value ontology, it's the stupidest thing I ever heard. There are 2 kinds of people, people who are so stupid they can only comprehend the world on the simplest level. Like liberals, people who believe in equality etc, everything has to be simplified to the most basic form, if everyone is not "equal" it's "evil", why because equality is the simplist thing their mind can comprehend.

And there's other people, like JJ, who the world is simply not enough. It is not enough to simply explore the world, they have to make everything more confusing than it already is, in order to sound intelligent and entertain themselves, and turn everything into complex bullshit. And this is the kind of shit like Value Ontology. What are your thoughts of Value Ontology?

Me:
me wrote:"The problem JJ has is he is not that intune with his emotions.
His value-ontology fails because it is very wispy and cloudy.
Personally, I don't have the brain stamina to read all of his walls of texts.
I dont think his value-ontology discovers any new truths about the universe, just makes the universe more confusing to understand.
But I can't actually argue with him, because he will bombard me with walls of text that I don't have the stamina to read.
You see, value refers to a mental emotion, an emotion that something is valuable.
Or, it refers to a mathematical system or logic that determines something has some future utility.
It is different from molecular bonds. Rock molecules are not self-valuing nor do they value anything."
trogdor
User avatar
Ultimate Philosophy 1001
BANNED
 
Posts: 8312
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:57 pm

Re: Value ontology is the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

Postby Ultimate Philosophy 1001 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:00 pm

I just got a warning from the mods, for defending myself after JJ visciously attacks and insults me for no reason.

Such equality.
trogdor
User avatar
Ultimate Philosophy 1001
BANNED
 
Posts: 8312
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:57 pm

Re: Value ontology is the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

Postby James S Saint » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:24 pm

Ultimate Philosophy 1001 wrote:I just got a warning from the mods, for defending myself after JJ visciously attacks and insults me for no reason.

Such equality.

At ILP??
Clarify, Verify, Instill, and Reinforce the Perception of Hopes and Threats unto Anentropic Harmony :)
Else
From THIS age of sleep, Homo-sapien shall never awake.

The Wise gather together to help one another in EVERY aspect of living.

You are always more insecure than you think, just not by what you think.
The only absolute certainty is formed by the absolute lack of alternatives.
It is not merely "do what works", but "to accomplish what purpose in what time frame at what cost".
As long as the authority is secretive, the population will be subjugated.

Amid the lack of certainty, put faith in the wiser to believe.
Devil's Motto: Make it look good, safe, innocent, and wise.. until it is too late to choose otherwise.

The Real God ≡ The reason/cause for the Universe being what it is = "The situation cannot be what it is and also remain as it is".
.
James S Saint
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 25760
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:05 pm

Re: Value ontology is the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

Postby Ultimate Philosophy 1001 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:27 pm

James S Saint wrote:
Ultimate Philosophy 1001 wrote:I just got a warning from the mods, for defending myself after JJ visciously attacks and insults me for no reason.

Such equality.

At ILP??


Who knew.
trogdor
User avatar
Ultimate Philosophy 1001
BANNED
 
Posts: 8312
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:57 pm

Re: Value ontology is the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

Postby iambiguous » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:41 pm

Ultimate Philosophy 1001 wrote:I just got a warning from the mods, for defending myself after JJ visciously attacks and insults me for no reason.

Such equality.


Clearly, in forums such as this, moderation "in reality" becomes intertwined in enforcing "the rules" and the politics embedded in the reactions of particular moderators to the opinions of particular posters.

It's not an exact science in other words.

Now, any number of folks have been banned here because, by and large, they were unable to contain themselves in the way of curtailing the huffing and puffing and the name-calling.

Objectivists by and large who, for all practical purposes, felt compelled to fulminate against any and all conflicting objectivists who dared to insist that it was in fact their own "general description" of human interactions that really Explained Everything.

So, in order to sustain this psychological compulsion to make that crucial distinction between "one of us" and "one of them", they would [over and over and over again] "go too far".

They would, for all intents and purposes, "go berserk" against their own rendition of the "retards"

And then they were gone. Reduced to contributing nothing at all.

Thus they really need ask themselves if it was worth it?

Better perhaps to "play the game" politically and continue to post than to rant and rave, get booted, and claim that their own ranting and raving was being "picked on".

Well, unless of course I'm wrong.
He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles

Start here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=176529
Then here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=185296
User avatar
iambiguous
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 22623
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:03 pm
Location: baltimore maryland

Re: Value ontology is the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

Postby Ultimate Philosophy 1001 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:45 pm

Ranting and raving is fine, according to the vague and somewhat flexible rules, as long as I don't directly rant and rave too hard on another person.

If my rant and rave is intellectually targetting, ranting against their philosophy, not so much as targetting their personhood, then it's generally acceptable.

Futhermore, I'm generally allowed to insult people, who aren't part of the forums, but not allowed to directly insult other members for no good reason.

But you know, some people are allowed to break the rules and some people aren't. Some people are allowed to have self-defense in some states, and in other states you go to prison for trying to defend yourself from an attacker.
trogdor
User avatar
Ultimate Philosophy 1001
BANNED
 
Posts: 8312
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:57 pm

Re: Value ontology is the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

Postby Mr Reasonable » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:50 pm

Consider yourself lucky. There's way stupider shit out there that you might have heard. If this ontology is the studidest thing you've ever heard then you should be glad.
You see...a pimp's love is very different from that of a square.
Dating a stripper is like eating a noisy bag of chips in church. Everyone looks at you in disgust, but deep down they want some too.

What exactly is logic? -Magnus Anderson

Support the innocence project on AmazonSmile instead of Turd's African savior biker dude.
http://www.innocenceproject.org/
User avatar
Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian
 
Posts: 24704
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:54 am
Location: pimping a hole straight through the stratosphere itself

Re: Value ontology is the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

Postby Ultimate Philosophy 1001 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:51 pm

Mr Reasonable wrote:Consider yourself lucky. There's way stupider shit out there that you might have heard. If this ontology is the studidest thing you've ever heard then you should be glad.


I'll take your word for it, my brain can only take so much.
trogdor
User avatar
Ultimate Philosophy 1001
BANNED
 
Posts: 8312
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:57 pm

Re: Value ontology is the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

Postby Mr Reasonable » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:53 pm

Go and sit in a hipster bar with some headphones on so no one thinks youre listening, amd eavesdrop on random hipster conversations. You'll be so ready to come back and talk about this ontology it'll blow your mind.
You see...a pimp's love is very different from that of a square.
Dating a stripper is like eating a noisy bag of chips in church. Everyone looks at you in disgust, but deep down they want some too.

What exactly is logic? -Magnus Anderson

Support the innocence project on AmazonSmile instead of Turd's African savior biker dude.
http://www.innocenceproject.org/
User avatar
Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian
 
Posts: 24704
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:54 am
Location: pimping a hole straight through the stratosphere itself

Re: Value ontology is the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

Postby Ultimate Philosophy 1001 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:54 pm

Mr Reasonable wrote:Go and sit in a hipster bar with some headphones on so no one thinks youre listening, amd eavesdrop on random hipster conversations. You'll be so ready to come back and talk about this ontology it'll blow your mind.


As much as I hate 'em, when I'm at cafe's, all the hipsters I see are doing architecture and building things with their fancy computers.
trogdor
User avatar
Ultimate Philosophy 1001
BANNED
 
Posts: 8312
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:57 pm

Re: Value ontology is the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

Postby Mr Reasonable » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:55 pm

Yeah they suck.
You see...a pimp's love is very different from that of a square.
Dating a stripper is like eating a noisy bag of chips in church. Everyone looks at you in disgust, but deep down they want some too.

What exactly is logic? -Magnus Anderson

Support the innocence project on AmazonSmile instead of Turd's African savior biker dude.
http://www.innocenceproject.org/
User avatar
Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian
 
Posts: 24704
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:54 am
Location: pimping a hole straight through the stratosphere itself

Re: Value ontology is the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

Postby Ultimate Philosophy 1001 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:58 pm

Mr Reasonable wrote:Yeah they suck.


Even so, the fate of the world is in their hands.

Scary to think about.
trogdor
User avatar
Ultimate Philosophy 1001
BANNED
 
Posts: 8312
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:57 pm

Re: Value ontology is the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

Postby Mr Reasonable » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:58 pm

I think the fate of the world is in the hands of the banks.
You see...a pimp's love is very different from that of a square.
Dating a stripper is like eating a noisy bag of chips in church. Everyone looks at you in disgust, but deep down they want some too.

What exactly is logic? -Magnus Anderson

Support the innocence project on AmazonSmile instead of Turd's African savior biker dude.
http://www.innocenceproject.org/
User avatar
Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian
 
Posts: 24704
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:54 am
Location: pimping a hole straight through the stratosphere itself

Re: Value ontology is the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

Postby Ultimate Philosophy 1001 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:00 pm

Mr Reasonable wrote:I think the fate of the world is in the hands of the banks.


Banks and hipsters aren't mutually exclusive, ya' know.
trogdor
User avatar
Ultimate Philosophy 1001
BANNED
 
Posts: 8312
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:57 pm

Re: Value ontology is the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

Postby Mr Reasonable » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:17 pm

True.
You see...a pimp's love is very different from that of a square.
Dating a stripper is like eating a noisy bag of chips in church. Everyone looks at you in disgust, but deep down they want some too.

What exactly is logic? -Magnus Anderson

Support the innocence project on AmazonSmile instead of Turd's African savior biker dude.
http://www.innocenceproject.org/
User avatar
Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian
 
Posts: 24704
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:54 am
Location: pimping a hole straight through the stratosphere itself

Re: Value ontology is the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

Postby iambiguous » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:08 pm

Ultimate Philosophy 1001 wrote: Ranting and raving is fine, according to the vague and somewhat flexible rules, as long as I don't directly rant and rave too hard on another person.


No, on the wrong person. Even if only subconsciously [in this human--all--too--human world], moderators will tend to be more lenient towards those they are generally in agreement with with regard to any actual substance in the post.

So, if making your point is important [and you're not just in Kid mode], you have to play the game.

Look at folks like Satyr. He pretends to feel nothing but disdain for the "retards" here, but he must know how foolish he was to self-destruct over and again. He would like nothing better than to be "lecturing" us here. If only because there are so many more people who would read his stuff. But [invariably] he becomes incensed when others [either conflicting objectivists or folks like me] refuse to think about everything in exactly the same manner in which he does.

He can't help himself: huffing and puffing, he fulminates contemptuously to or about the "morons" that ubermen qua "serious philosophers" of his ilk must contend with.

It's all about the "psychology of objectivism" in my view.

In fact, the irony regarding KT is that what gets you dumped into the dungeon isn't the huffing and puffing so much as refusing to kowtow substantivey to Satyr's gene/meme narrative.

But, to their credit, you are much less likely to be banned from the forum. The dungeon is something that I would like to see installed here as well.

Ultimate Philosophy 1001 wrote: But you know, some people are allowed to break the rules and some people aren't. Some people are allowed to have self-defense in some states, and in other states you go to prison for trying to defend yourself from an attacker.


Yes, exactly!

Welcome to the real world.

Again, if you have opinions about things that you would genuinely like to convey to others [and are not just in here venting or scapegoating others for all the other shit in life that pisses you off] you have to be willing to accommodate the politics.

Now, that doesn't work all the time, true. Otherwise Postmodern Beatnik would not have "banned me for" life here: http://forums.philosophyforums.com/

But, at most forums, it's still the best of all possible worlds.
He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles

Start here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=176529
Then here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=185296
User avatar
iambiguous
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 22623
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:03 pm
Location: baltimore maryland

Re: Value ontology is the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

Postby Ultimate Philosophy 1001 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:26 pm

Well I tried to enter the forums, it let me login on my old account, but it won't let me view anything. It just says "You do not have permission to view this section of the site." I never broke any rules, and I never got a message saying I was banned or anything.

Shouldn't a philosophy forum like, make most threads available to the public and not perpetuate ignorance?
trogdor
User avatar
Ultimate Philosophy 1001
BANNED
 
Posts: 8312
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:57 pm

Re: Value ontology is the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

Postby Magnus Anderson » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:18 am

iambiguous wrote:Now, that doesn't work all the time, true. Otherwise Postmodern Beatnik would not have "banned me for" life here: http://forums.philosophyforums.com/


That's a dead forum.

People who used to post on it moved here:
https://thephilosophyforum.com/

Maybe you should try posting there?
I got a philosophy degree, I'm not upset that I can't find work as a philosopher. It was my decision, and I knew that it wasn't a money making degree, so I get money elsewhere.
-- Mr. Reasonable
User avatar
Magnus Anderson
Philosopher
 
Posts: 3564
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:26 pm

Re: Value ontology is the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

Postby Ultimate Philosophy 1001 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:51 pm

Magnus Anderson wrote:
iambiguous wrote:Now, that doesn't work all the time, true. Otherwise Postmodern Beatnik would not have "banned me for" life here: http://forums.philosophyforums.com/


That's a dead forum.

People who used to post on it moved here:
https://thephilosophyforum.com/

Maybe you should try posting there?


Ugh, looks like the new forum catered to the whole Hipster style. Also, how will I show threads from the old forums, I want to read them but now I can never read them.

I hate the hipster style, I like this style this is my style.

This is my style:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKGydWrGEjc

This is the hipster style:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvCBSSwgtg4

I HATE THE HIPSTER STYLE!!!!
trogdor
User avatar
Ultimate Philosophy 1001
BANNED
 
Posts: 8312
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:57 pm

Re: Value ontology is the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

Postby Alf » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:50 pm

Ultimate Philosophy 1001 wrote:Value ontology is the stupidest thing ....

Stupidest, yes, but also most narcissistic, most solipsistic, most nihilistic.

Ultimate Philosophy 1001 wrote:I just got a warning from the mods, for defending myself after JJ visciously attacks and insults me for no reason.

Such equality.

According to the narcissistic and homosexual VO "god", a stone is a cow, a planet a bacterium, ... and an insult a part of his meal for his narcissism ..., and all this just because this solipsistic nihilist has said so.

So to him, equality means and has the same function as everything else: supporting and mirroring his maniac delusion that he is in agreement with himself.

Vanity_Occultism.jpg
Vanity Occultism. "I am God, and the Reality is My Mirror"!
Vanity_Occultism.jpg (35.15 KiB) Viewed 282 times

James S Saint wrote:
Ultimate Philosophy 1001 wrote:I just got a warning from the mods, for defending myself after JJ visciously attacks and insults me for no reason.

Such equality.

At ILP??

Yes, at the "liberal" and "egalitarian" ILP. :oops:
User avatar
Alf
 
Posts: 230
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:07 am

Re: Value ontology is the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

Postby Anomaly654 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:43 pm

I have not heard of value ontology before reading this thread, so did a quick google just now and found this definition on some other board:

Value ontology is the interpretation of "being"/"the world" as composed of beings, subjects. It explains the structure of a subject as a mechanism whereby substance is assimilated in terms dictated by the nature of the subject. This assimilating is done by "valuing", that is, selecting. This selecting requires a standard, a ground value. This ground value is perpetually being set by and as a fundamental mechanism, that sustains itself by restricting its selection of its interactions with the outside to the type that sustains it.

Value ontology therefore refers to a logical circularity that is expressed in temporality as a circuitry tending to expand itself by integrating what it encounters while maintaining its integral structure.

The theory explains why what exists exists and persists through time, by making it evident that whatever does not have a "self-valuing" (such a mechanism by which a standard is maintained that serves to keep this mechanism operative) can not maintain structural integrity, i.e. can not persist.

My question to UP1001 [assuming the definition above is agreeable] is 'what do you find 'stupid' about this view? This is the first and to date only brush I've had with the concept, so understand I am doubtless missing a lot. But from my thinking the definition above could be describing anything from a modification of evolutionary theory to that of a design argument to support the existence of God. What am I missing?
User avatar
Anomaly654
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:55 pm

Re: Value ontology is the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

Postby Mr Reasonable » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:17 am

Is the liberal egalitarian thing something ILP claims to be? Or is it something that someone else claims ILP to be?
You see...a pimp's love is very different from that of a square.
Dating a stripper is like eating a noisy bag of chips in church. Everyone looks at you in disgust, but deep down they want some too.

What exactly is logic? -Magnus Anderson

Support the innocence project on AmazonSmile instead of Turd's African savior biker dude.
http://www.innocenceproject.org/
User avatar
Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian
 
Posts: 24704
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:54 am
Location: pimping a hole straight through the stratosphere itself


Return to The Sandbox



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users