Where does art come from?

It’s a perceived decline. So yes.

The earliest human cave painting is about 40000 years old. And the human internet picture I posted above is about 4 days old.

:-k

Are you suggesting that this devolopment of fourty thousand years has only been a degeneration?

Yes and no. :slight_smile:

I mean there has been a good development, but not always. There has been both progress like sunrise and regress like sunset.

You are speaking of a cycle.

Yes, if you want.

I mean, if you look at the following two pictures again and think about art history:

You will probably find very artful times and nearly artless times between them , won’t you?

And now, think of the question of this thread (again):

If it affects you in some way, if it speaks or reveals the truth of something, even if only one’s own subjective truth, if it causes you to question life or to see something differently, from another angle, it is Art, to me.

I can say that Art comes from the psyche.

Art is ALSO an image of the self trying to express and to make sense of the world around us.

I wouldn’t have that on my wall - art is a personal preference - but it is very thought provoking and also poignant to me.
It can make one wonder what it is/was that the artist is trying to say? That could be different for everyone.
Things are not always to be taken at face value.
Delving into a particular work of art can be like an archaeological dig - much to be revealed.

Perhaps it came from the same place that philosophy came from…simply put, trying to figure things out. lol

Art comes from the soul.

Do you mean a culture soul?

I mean the metaphysical type.

Do you think that this metaphysical type is the motor not only for art as one cultural appearance, but also for all other cultural appearances?

Yes. The metaphysical soul is just one of the reasons why I joined ILP.

What is the other type of soul - you mentioned the “metaphysical type”?

There is no other type. So, I didn’t mention that there was one. Surreptitious did. So, ask him.

Katrina said:

You saying “I mean the metaphysical type” suggests that you see another type.

If you used the word psyche belonging to all aspects of the human being or Self, then I might agree with you that art can come from that soul.
But that isn’t necessarily eternal.

I don’t see another type.

Again:

Ask Surreptitious.

So, okay, then. Alf’s question must be answered now. Right?

Art belongs to culture.
Culture is based on a soul.
Thus art is also based on a soul.

Alf’s question:

The answer:

“Art comes from a soul”.
Is that right, Alf?