Why there is belief in an afterlife

The universe was in existence for over 13 billion years before we came along so the rules were already long in place. And if you dont like them there is not much
you can do about it. The Second Law Of Thermodynamics isnt going to magically disappear just because you want to live forever. For that is not the way it works

Having just one life should make you appreciate it more not less so stop your moaning and go do something before its too late

There is no reason to be afraid of death once your life ends since you cannot experience death anyway even if you wanted to

Also how do you know that you would have a better life just because you could live for longer or for ever
You could end up living a worse life than the one you have now so be grateful you only have one after all

Science is not perfect as it sometimes gets it wrong and I am not making excuses here so I hope you are happy with this

So, let me get this straight, you believe in the scientific proofs enough to call my beliefs non-realistic based on what science verifies, but not enough to quote what’s verified when asked, when it matters to a discussion? That’s dishonesty there Bub.

What is entirely non realistic is the notion of astral projection which you very clearly believe in and for what there is no scientific evidence at all
What is more realistic is the notion of consciousness surviving in some form after brain death even though science currently has no answer for this
There is no dishonesty here at all Wendy since I will accept anything as being true if there is actual evidence for it regardless of what it actually is

Anecdotal evidence based on testimony is a valid part of the scientific method. There is a great deal of anecdotal evidence regarding astral projection particularly in the cases of near death experiences. You are quite wrong that there is no evidence regarding astral projection and quite dishonest in what you consider valid scientific evidence.

This is completely wrong. In science there is no such thing as anecdotal evidence. Personal testimony that cannot be verified is not scientific
Anything that only happens within the mind cannot be scientifically validated as it cannot be independently observed. So there can never be
evidence for astral projection or any other purely mental experience

=D> You may have just proven that you are not conscious. :evilfun: :wink:

I should also say not being able to provide evidence for some thing does
not mean it is not true but evidence is the only way to determine if it is

Near death experiences are case studies in the field of medicine. BOOYAH! Smacked down! :evilfun: :laughing:

That may be so but the personal testimony of those who claim to have had them does not constitute evidence since
it cannot be verified independently. Now science can still investigate it but it just can not establish any conclusions

No, it can provide a statistical baseline of what is typical. You need to read Wiki with more discernment. :evilfun: :wink:

Yes it can but it is not evidence because it is purely a mental experience
A statistical baseline for it is good but it cannot be regarded as scientific

How is it purely a mental experience separate from the brain when you say that that is not possible? You need to pick a side and stay on it.

Near Death means the patient is still alive so it is not a mental experience separate from the brain

Many of the patients are pronounced dead but return from death, but this is where your honesty stops for six minutes after the heart stops without the aid of CPR and brain death is pronounced, if someone returns naturally without said CPR, science had the number of minutes wrong. That’s what you’ll say, science didn’t have that right.

No that is not at all what I will say or actually have said which is this : science does not yet have the answer to explain this phenomenon
And so all one can do in the meantime is be patient and avoid making assumptions. Can you be patient till the day you die Wendy. I can

No, I want to prove you wrong now! :evilfun: :laughing:

I have no problem with that but I do not think that it will be happening in my lifetime
I will be sleeping the sleep of the dead long before then so it will make no difference

Again, your biological body will suffer an expiration, but your consciousness will carry on and I’ll look you up after this go’round of human life.

You are only saying that because you want it to be true not because it is true
You should therefore try and understand that they are not actually the same