Amateur Nihilism

So to find out that you will not actually perish, only your human form, meaning you are an eternal conscious being, would that knowledge change a Nihilists mind or reaffirm that it matters not for I have no choice but to endure indefinitely?

I already gave a few obvious examples of Nihilism in the modern world, if you would just read the OP.

Well, if, in your interactions with others, interactions that revolved around conflicting moral and political narratives, you were entangled in this…

If I am always of the opinion that 1] my own values are rooted in dasein and 2] that there are no objective values “I” can reach, then every time I make one particular moral/political leap, I am admitting that I might have gone in the other direction…or that I might just as well have gone in the other direction. Then “I” begins to fracture and fragment to the point there is nothing able to actually keep it all together. At least not with respect to choosing sides morally and politically.

…nihilism would become less a position than a frame of mind that stymies you. In other words, for folks like me, nihilism renders the following assumptions entirely problematic.

1] there is a “real me” that transcends contingency, chance and change
2] this “real me” is in sync with one or another understanding of “virtue”
3] “virtue” is embedded in one or another rendition of God, Humanism, ideology, nature.

To me, the OP is just another “general description” of human interactions given the manner in which you construe the meaning of amateur nihilism.

There are no particular contexts in which the meaning of your words become more fully embodied in extant discussions [or behaviors] that revolve around the relationship between how meaning is derived by any one individual and how that comes to be intertwined in the actual behaviors that she chooses. Behaviors embedded existentially in particular moral and political trajectories.

So…

1] pick a moral/political issue that we are all familiar with
2] note your own moral/political narrative regarding it

Then we can discuss nihilism in that particular context.

Also, how do you react to this…

1] there is a “real me” that transcends contingency, chance and change
2] this “real me” is in sync with one or another understanding of “virtue”
3] “virtue” is embedded in one or another rendition of God, Humanism, ideology, nature.

…given the manner in which you construe nihilism?

Then who or what are nihilistic folks, automatons without a purpose?

You say this as if it was true even though you cannot provide any evidence for it at all now can you
You say it because you want it to be true not because it is true and can you not see the difference

In any case I much prefer being dead for ever than being eternally conscious as that for me would be my idea of hell

One of God’s mercies may be the memory wipe upon rebirth which only seems a rebirth since the memory wipe took effect.

Now back to your regularly programmed Nihilism rigmarole (back on topic people…geez!).

I would still rather be dead for ever even with a memory wipe which incidentally is straight out of science fiction
The thought of eternal existence in whatever form would be too much for me and so death is far more preferable

Whoever said, “Life is fair?” Least fair of all, eternal life.

Not forgetting your completely ridiculous evidence free astral projection rigmarole

It is not about what is fair but what is true. What is objectively true. That is what I am interested in. Living now then
dying then staying dead forever is what seems the most likely scenario so that is the one I hold to be true. And this is
what I plan on doing. So death can take me any time it wants including right now. It makes no difference to me at all

Just as I thought, you have insinuations and hints that you know what you’re talking about, but can’t provide nor defend anything. You obviously don’t know what you’re talking about. And you’re wrong about humanism. Humanism is nihilistic because it is the annulment (annihilation) of the individual, absorbed by the whole, the mass, the herd. Humanism is the sacrifice of the individual, so yes, that is nihilistic.

When people bury their heads in the sand, to ignore reality, to huddle into a tight herd, these are nihilistic tendencies.

I agree, the concept of Nihilism should not be used as a scape-goat mechanism, or to call every and anything “nihilistic” as a method of slander and dismissal. If there is truth to it, and there is, then the core concepts should be exposed. I’ve mentioned a few of them. There are some instinctive behaviors that are ‘nihilistic’ in the sense that people flinch in the face of danger. Bravery and courage are rarer in life, and, also symbolic of evolutionary processes and development.

It can be difficult to “look life in the eye”. Nobody’s perfect, obviously.

This is too simplistic though. Nihilism has much more depth than you describe. People create meaning, in life. It’s a matter of faith and hopefulness (positive idealism).

There’s nothing wrong or nihilistic about making an ideal real. To turn the ideal, into the real, that is symbolic of power in life. Somebody who can imagine the world different than it is, and then work to achieve such visions. That’s Art(ifice).

Believing in immortality is nihilistic.

Believing that you have one life, no after-life, and you take nothing beyond death, is the opposite of nihilism.

People become nihilistic when they want to ‘escape’ life, or simply responsibilities in general. People want to pass the blame and causation of existence onto other people, places, things, gods. Hence the main cause for belief in god, is a scape-goat mechanism. “God” is to blame for everything (bad). That’s how the average nihilistic thinks and perceives existence.

I already picked moral and political issues everybody is familiar with. Can you read???

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WX6uhU0OX_c[/youtube]

You can give meaning to your own life but still be a nihilist if you think death is all that follows it because it can make it all seem completely
pointless. The way round this is to not think that life has to be eternal in order to have meaning. It simply means that meaning is subjective
But in any case we have no God given right to expect the universe to make us immortal in order to give objective meaning to our existence

I believe in God but I don’t blame Him for everything for without bad you would not know what is good. Then being ready for death in old age is nihilistic? Old people want to escape the reality of life being harder for old people. You mean pass the blame and causation onto other things unnecessarily when its not true to escape personal consequences and responsibilities.

What if we are eternal conscious beings (one life that never ends) and physical death only seems final, but its actually a transition of continued existence (not an afterlife for your consciousness was already living)?

Depends, what would you be arguing for and against? You’re too much of a neutralist from my observations.