Reality - Version 0.1

Wow, that was too easy! :-k What are you up to? :evilfun: :laughing:

WendyDarling

I do believe we were already agreeing on existence - I suggested that the only thing we can say with certainty is that we exist - you suggested that non-existence is a fantasy. There are many aspects of existence that we already agree on WendyDarling.

I have been spending some time looking around ILP, reading many different threads and posts. I have become quite interested in the differing points of view that people have. The human mind is breathtaking when I consider the diversity of imaginings possible that it can collectively give us.

The mind reminds me of the ancient Chinese game, Go. Go has more possibilities than the number of atoms in the visible universe. That tells me that the mind has many more possibilities - if I am calculating this correctly then the mind is capable of devising more versions of reality than the total number of atoms in the visible universe.

Staggering - and that is just the versions of reality . . . Now I am contemplating whether non-reality is also fantasy . . .

That is what I have been up to on ILP.

Otherwise I have been digging deeper into the complexities of emotions and logic - fun stuff . . . :laughing:

That was of course prior to responding to you.

:smiley:

How about you? What are you up to? :evilfun: :laughing:

But then, what does it mean “to exist”?

James

I think that what it means to exist, is to have objective reality, to occur, to be affected by the surrounding existence and to affect the surrounding existence.

At a more abstract level: To consume and be consumed. Your constituents are permanent.

My head is pounding - so slap me silly if you have to, and correct me if I am mistaken.

Non-existence is but a shallow concept . . .

In which case, isn’t it also certainly true that something else exists besides us, “surrounding us”?
That makes two. :sunglasses:

James

Part of what I said previously is summed up in your signature:

The Real God ≡ The reason/cause for the Universe being what it is = “The situation cannot be what it is and also remain as it is”.

An unchanging situation is a fantasy.

Yes it is certain that something else exists besides us - yet another truth. What it is that we are a part of, surrounds us and also exists - to put it simply.

To neatly summarize:

1. The Real God ≡ The reason/cause for the Universe being what it is . . .
    . . . “The situation cannot be what it is and also remain as it is”.
  2. It is a certainty that we exist.
  3. To exist is to be affected by the surrounding existence and to affect the surrounding existence.
  4. What it is that we are a part of, surrounds us and also exists . . .
    . . . “We are inseparable from that which surrounds us”.
    I believe that to say that we can be separate from that which surrounds us is yet another shallow concept.

What I have learnt from you among other things is that infinite homogeneity cannot exist - each point in space has the potential to affect - anything without physical affect cannot physically exist. Hopefully I got those three things right.

I am happy enough with my answer to hit the submit button. I am not quite certain if it is the answer to your question though.

The number of things that can be said with certainty is endless. :sunglasses:

… the exact opposite of common rhetoric.

I disagree if a constant is unchanging (pi or the speed of light), but I would also add that the unchanging situation that exists, exists among other unchanging situations, so variety (or the appearance of change) is found in the multiple of situations recognized as a whole. Is the path of a charged electron constant?

James

I already believe:

That would be the meaning of: My ultimate goal is a clear truth in life - that could take some time to achieve.

The list of four in my previous post is far from complete - however I do not think it is a list that can be completed.

To obtain a clear truth in life, is not necessarily, to obtain the complete truth. Truth is endless.

WendyDarling

It makes sense what you are saying because a situation is a set of circumstances in which one finds oneself . . .

. . . and includes the location and surroundings of a place.

You appear to be speaking of a snapshot of reality - like a photo - but I believe you are thinking on a deeper level than a simple photograph. The situation cannot be what it is and also remain as it is - there is a special place for constants - as you say the unchanging situation that exists, exists among other unchanging situations - to which I would reply the appearance of change is like a video - it occurs at x frames per second - and is found in the multiple of situations - one after the other - but a past situation - one singular situation cannot be changed and has fallen into the register of totality to become a mere fantasy - a memory - not to be retrieved nor changed, except through the residue of a perception - a perceived history.

Truth however exists in the here and now - and each frame containing truth also falls into the register of totality.

We are the infinite communicating with the infinite and the medium that we use to communicate is temporary.

As soon as I hit the submit button my written words do not suffice because they have become my past by the time you perceive them . . .
. . . that is: they have fallen into the register of my totality.

:-k

If eternity/infinity is constant and the Truth it represents is constant, the here and now would never change by its very nature, hence another constant that appears as you say a video of snapshots. Have you seen the discussion JSS and I are having in the Expulsion thread? The discussion here and there are related.

WendyDarling

Hmm . . . allow me to contemplate what you are saying here - I would be indebted to you for that. I have not seen the discussion in the Expulsion thread - would you be so kind as to provide a link for me? I would greatly appreciate it.

Maybe I shouldn’t :confused: I just reread it and it’s a bit…a lot…depressing. Sorry for being a downer 8-[ viewtopic.php?f=3&t=193156&start=25#p2674821

James

I have had even more time to think about this even further . . .

I assert that, from how I understand what you have written, is that “best rules” are indeed variable.

WendyDarling

Don’t let it bother you . . .

. . . I can deal with downers. What is one persons trash is another persons treasure as they say - just a metaphor.

We are mature adults around here.

8-[

This thread touches on some commonalities as well. viewtopic.php?f=25&t=171723#p2674810
I’m still awaiting James’ answers, impatiently awaiting #-o :evilfun: :laughing: .

WendyDarling

Thanks for this!

Yeah, James is a busy guy. I will take a look at this also.

Again thanks.

Arcturus Descending

I have thought about your post. I am going to tackle your post in multiple parts - there seems to be a little to consider here.

Yes, there can be a clear truth in life. Since it is a yes or no question I will leave it here with only one exception . . .

. . . I will add that there is a reason why I chose to answer this question first.

:-k

When you refer to physical memory, are you referring to the deterioration of our biological body, predominantly the central nervous system?

I know James will correct me if I am wrong but I believe the answer to this is yes, the deterioration of our biological body including the central nervous system.

The concept of who you are now - I am thinking with each instant stays the same.

I am also under the impression that what James refers to as a spirit, you and I are calling a soul - to me they are just words - what they represent is important to me - however I think it is important to treat the words as they are appropriate to each philosophy.