What are you doing? (Part 1)

Beleaguering myself so I watch my “P’s & Q’s.” I can get R-O-W-D-I-E so easily! :evilfun: :laughing:

Scheduling my life… with politics and pleasure/out.

Damn, that roasting chicken smells good! :laughing: The sumptuous scent is confusing me. :mrgreen:

Spent the day in town- people people people ,(immoral) people.

Had a drink and a blast, early hours now, things looking real good.

(…all this gets me thinking about communities coming together to make that fateful decision who’s in and who’s out: it’s time for the serious fun) :stuck_out_tongue:

It appears to me that most people want to automate their actions not because they want to be fast but because they don’t want to exert themselves anymore.
They hate working. Specifically, they hate what they are doing.
They dream of a day when they will no longer have to work.
When everything will take care of itself.

Working as in a required chore or working as in an inspired project?

Computer work is unnatural, and one of my goals is to have fully automated processes so that people do not have to work so long on the computer.
I look at the game industry, and I observe.

I play mediocre games, which have long credits of 200 staff members to create this pile of mediocrity.
What or who is responsible?
The tools.
Making high polygon meshes is so tedious and yet it doesn’t have to be.
That is the joy of proc-gen.
I long for the days of great and classic games ran by a staff of only 10 or 12 Japanese.

Computer work is unnatural, I completely agree, and it’s precisely the reason why there should be less automation.
That is if you want to get used to it.
Otherwise, you will NEVER get used to it and you will ALWAYS hate it.
Notice how many programmers hate mathematics.
You are a programmer and you hate mathematics?
It makes no sense.
People want to do great things without taking all of the necessary steps.

How is relying on automatons a natural solution to the above problem?
It isn’t.

The only natural solution is to TAKE YOUR TIME.
Yes, that means, being very meticulous.
That’s the only way to properly familiarize yourself with the unfamiliar.
Relying on automatons only makes you feel familiarized.
In reality, you are not.

There’s nothing more boring and tedious than familiarizing yourself with other people’s tools.
One of the reasons why I am a very poor candidate for jobs of this kind.

The gaming industry is using high polygon meshes for gameplay or just animated sequences?

Everything is high poly these days, it just looks like a jumbled and convoluted mess.

I am so confused.

In any case, mathematics is feminine, and logic is masculine, so to program requires a masculine, stressed frame of mind, and to math requires a feminine, relaxed frame of mind. The best programmers tend to look androgenous or schizophrenic, half man half woman, because to be a good programmer you need to be a genius, otherwise you get crappy games which require 200 people to make using the default Microsoft font. The original japanese teams of 10-12 people were true genius.

The point of computers is to lessen the work load, but ironically, in modern times computers just increase the work load. This is because there hasn’t been a PC hero in quite some time, an example of this is John Carmack with Quake 3 engine, a lot of games profitted from his engine which he was the sacrificial Jesus christ/John Henry and slaved on.

But nowadays noone is allowed to speak their minds, when we criticize mediocrity we get slapped by the fanboys, everything is just status quo, nobody really complains that android phones are fucking retarded, i mean who the fuck can type 90 wpm on those tiny keypads anyway, and you can’t really do any real labor on a fucking ipod either.

Thus another pc hero most occur, someone must buck down and make an automated generator, such that people don’t really have to work on the computer, just push a few keys and viola, the word was god. Making something after tediously laboring in C++ code for 5 years should be seen for what it is, absurd. Taking 30 days to convert a concept on paper to a 3d world, should be seen for what it is - absurd. Like, it should not take 200 guys working for 3 years to make a stupid videogame that people rent for 8 hours and never play again.

The higher you climb the ladder of abstraction the less control you have.
This is why people like me are attached to lower levels of abstraction.
We love details because they allow us to do whatever we want.
Abstractions place a limit on our creativity.

I thought that masculinity is about doing things on your own and not relying on others to do the work for you.
Most programmers are merely Google search experts.
They preoccupy themselves with other people’s work.
They have very little work of their own.
They spend most of their time learning how to use other people’s tools.
They have to keep up with trends since tools change at a very fast rate.
Where’s masculinity in that?
Most programmers are sloppy coders – they make too many mistakes.
They write code without much thought so they spend more time debugging than they spend actually solving the problem.
How is that desirable?

At least thirty are women and sixty people are probably on the marketing side of the endeavor. The good old games didn’t have you stop gameplay for animation sequences…wtf! Still looks like they are using lower poly counts for most gameplay, with skins that make the forms look curvier. Back in my day, 700 lo-poly count was desired. I’m surprised there aren’t programs that make and render basic characters like the architecture programs that throw up 3-D buildings with a few clicks.

It isn’t, and that is why the easier it is to make programs and games, the better, more emphasis will be on the quality of the game itself- rather than the code.

There are, but I’m not sure how easy it is to fine tune them or create aliens. And it still takes a hell of a lot of work and energy to make Pixar movies.

I thought we were discussing games not Pixar movies.

We’re discussing the archaic nature of computer jobs.

Okay, but your observations started with the gaming industry, their games being mediocre so I latched on to that vein of the conversation since I know something about that. Until AI makes wishful thinking come true, PC operations, apps., and programs will be tedious with way more input needed to get a small output. That’s just the nature of the techno beast, the end product is the convenience, not its creation process.

I think that honour goes to Kelvin → :gay-color:

PS: Fahrenheit is for Nazis. You know I’m reich.

“Truth is stranger than fiction.” Fiction leads us to non-fiction, since truth is stranger than fiction, we need the buffer of fiction to link one true oddity to another so that they don’t seem so weird, but why do people really believe that fiction is stranger than truth? Is truth too freaky to accept?

Oh, just ruminating on the nature of psychological human limits, perceptions, and intentional blindness.

Funny, I just came across a doc yesterday about a sand striker and it totally reminded me of Enemy Mine movie. It was like, wait, I think I’ve seen that thing before! That scene with the worm was really tense too (I think it was also a pivot point in the movie).
Also, according to that doc apparently some lobsters hunt and eat crabs. I guess it’s a crustacean eat crustacean world down there.