Better Ideas

Inspired by Void.

If you have better ideas about sorting out the mess we call civilization, please lay them out here for review and discussion.

What do you think is wrong with ā€˜civilizationā€™?

Then you can go on to ā€œsorting outā€.

Common sense is dead and with it common decency, honesty, moderation, etc.

Iā€™m not sure if thatā€™s true but if it is then you have to teach people that adopting those things is in their self-interest.

Seeing that you cannot comprehend my meaning or its significance to the current decline in civilization, the lack of basic standards, will make this thread more laborious than it needs to beā€¦like I also wrote, common sense is now un-common sense.

I can make it much less laborious by not participating. :smiley:

I like to live by the standard that nothing I do can screw it up any more than it already is and has been. That leaves me open to social engineering experiment ideas that I wouldnt be able to come up with to answer questions like these as much as Iā€™d like to answer them.

How do you know that your actions donā€™t exacerbate and prolong the problems with wider implications than you can trace through cause and effect?

How do you know anything?

Be the change you want to see and all that.

Hey, I am trying to philosophize here and that requires a lot of words being exchanged. Stop simplifying the issues.

Now for all the wordsā€¦Whatā€™s all that? What change are you being and how does it impact the people around you? Yada, yada, yada?

I try and keep moral discourse more about the form and less about the content. I think thatā€™s helpful and I wish more people would do the same.

Still awaiting your answers Mr.

The mess that you call civilisation is in relative terms in a better state than at any time in history since that is the nature of progress. But such progress
is never complete as it is in a constant state of evolution. That is why a hundred years from now the same question can still be asked. So do not assume
this particular period of history is special merely because you are living in it because that is demonstrably false. I can not give the answers you want me
to. No one can since it is not a problem with that type of solution. The name of the game here is damage limitation not Utopia. Pragmatism not idealism

Lay out your plan or suggestions for damage limitation please.

I have no plan. Changing the world is a bit above my pay grade. I just focus on changing myself as that is all I
can do. You cannot expect an answer to such a profound question any way. It is too complex for that. So you
should be more specific and less general. Narrow it down to something more practical and take it from there

Okay, lay out a more practical plan that you have narrowed down.

Since you started this thread do you not have any ideas of your own

I honestly have no plan and would not know what to do even if I wanted to

Why do you think that civilisation is in such a mess

[b]
Wendy try to break it down into its constituent parts such as

Economic / Social / Political / Cultural / Philosophical / Moral
[/b]