What is Your Reason for Doing It?

eaglerising

I don’t see how one could ever prove to someone else what it is that he/she has experienced.
Carl Jung said that truth is based on the concert of many voices but I don’t necessarily even agree with that. Look at Nazi Germany and propaganda.
All one could do is to share that personal experience.
The only thing, to me perhaps, which is not proof so much but closer to proof is the way in which one lives one’s life according to or as a result of that experience. If another sees that, they may at least accept the other’s experience as being valid.

No, the inability to prove your experience doesn’t make it invalid. The experience is valid “to you”. I don’t think that there is absolute truth but there is subjective truth. We have to remember this when one tells us of their experience. Of course, some things are simply absurd, like someone telling us that they looked into the night sky and saw a witch flying on a broom. lol

True. There was a time when I thought that reincarnation might have been a possibility based on the cycles of nature but that alone doesn’t cut it.
But still, R may still be a possibility.

I don’t follow this. Can you explain what you mean here?

[b]

[/b]

… a logical … rational … hypothesis … been around in one form or another for a long time. Either all is in the grey matter between our ears or this same gray matter has a conduit … with very sophisticated security clearances … to the “cloud”.

thoughtsofamisfit.weebly.com/our … hadow.html

Eaglerising wrote

Therein lies the stumbling block for most. To get past this and be “brutally honest” (HA, those two words much maligned by many) requires one to step up to the edge of the abyss and look in, something as yet, I have not had the courage to do. So, I am riddled with false impressions and vivid allusions of who I am, incapable of the lofty ability to see unadulterated reason, even though I will proclaim I can.

Psychological Firewalls??

Wash dishes! :evilfun:

I do … regularly. :slight_smile:

Though I prefer chopping cabbage … given there’s no wood in the neighborhood.

Loved that pic of you with the hat of eggs, Tom! A new take on the thinking man…priceless! :smiley:

Wendy … did you notice the geese in the picture?

I sat in the same place for so long a couple of the geese mistook my hat for their nest. :laughing:

Just kidding!

Seriously though … I don’t fully understand my reason(s) for doing it … taking the picture nor for sharing it. :slight_smile:

Sure … soliciting “stroking” is part of it … though not all … do you have any suggestions? Often the “other” sees what we do not.

This is a PG site so no stroking of any kind is allowed…sorry…no suggestions in that regard, but on another front, you need more challenges, mental, emotional, spiritual but you are way too comfortable staying in the safety of a small village when your desires to push yourself farther come from a big city. In other words, stop hiding and playing it safe where you are…and/or you could finally learn Chinese and get into all kinds of trouble with that newly acquired superpower. :evilfun: :laughing:

I figured it out!

It’s all vanity … life is useless … it’s like chasing the wind.

What proportion of human activity traces it’s roots to vanity?

Vanity has propelled human evolution … how bland life would be without it.

Vanity may be the cause of the destruction of humanity … and the planet … as well.

Life is useless … it’s like chasing the wid.

pilgrim-seeker_tom

Are you positively sure?

The human condition it seems is more than 97% vanity … I do not think life is useless … it is like chasing the wind.

I would say more than 97%.

Some part of evolution has been propelled by vanity … I contest whether life would be bland without it.

This is more than 97% true.

We can never give up … we have been programmed to live.

The meaning of life is to live.

8-[

You’re off to a mountain top to die nobly?

Why die? Why not live nobly?

A popular world view … "Life is a gift! Enjoy it!

A not so popular world view … “My life has a purpose, I want to find it and get on with it … forget about joy!”

Wendy … while reflecting on EC_DC’s comment … "We are programmed to live" … my mind was looking for the words to articulate the distinction between “to live” and “to exist”.

Thank you for providing the answer. :slight_smile:

You just said “life is useless”.

What gives? Why are you hanging around?

pilgrim-seeker_tom

You can call me Aaron.

Forget my horrible programmed comment.

We are here to live - to me that is the meaning of life - what we choose to do to give ourselves purpose can be difficult.

I feel I have no real purpose on top of being a person - so I choose to be the best person I can be.

:smiley:

I feel we are social - so I be social.

Don’t let my comments stumble you - if it is just reflection then so be it.

I guess a good distinction would be: Make your life full - live life to the fullest.

I think in many ways you are already doing that.

To niggle you :laughing: … one good turn deserves another … quid pro quo :slight_smile:

Aaron … I like that name :slight_smile:

Background
Just read some comments authored by eaglerising … paraphrasing … and perhaps not accurately … "thoughts are fragmented and they don’t know each other exists"

While eaglerising’s comments were placed in the context of the human species I prefer the context of “ALL” … some people believe plants respond to music … dengarden.com/gardening/the-eff … ant-growth

… some people believe water responds to human thought(s) … youtube.com/watch?v=k1-0ulKgmio

Back to eaglerising’s comments … in the context of human thought for the moment.

Fragmented thoughts … thoughts that don’t know each other exist … form clusters when expressed by one human being and encountered by another independent human being … when the thought cluster reaches critical mass it is manifested in our physical reality.

Now on to your comments:

[b]

[/b]

no need to forget it … the only comment that ‘stuck’ was “we are programmed to live” … the others passed too quickly to notice.

We are here to live - to me that is the meaning of life - what we choose to do to give ourselves purpose can be difficult.

for me … rightly or wrongly … we do not have the opportunity to give ourselves purpose … we all have purpose … individual and unique … our only choice is to discover it … or not.
[b]

[/b]

From time to time I found some of your comments uplifting … the remainder “simply wind” and these days it takes a pretty strong wind to make me stumble. :slight_smile:

[b]

[/b]

For me … the distinction is … live life for the “other” … embrace selflessness rather than simply tolerate it.

pilgrim-seeker_tom

And so, I be social - I too embrace selflessness.

This brings a tear to my minds eye . . . I find Arcturus Descending and yourself to be the two on this forum in keeping me cheerful.