The fear of death is innate.

I think we are often trying to do that [and mostly failing lol], then the difficulty is most simple at root, that consciousness is subjective and info more objective. It gets pushed into our consciousness e.g. with instincts, but when the brain does that its like two systems trying to do the same thing, only in the exchange the physical a-priori info is necessarily changed. - why our instincts are as much a mystery as anything external.

Amorphos … once again you bring our e-exchange to a very interesting place. :slight_smile:
[b]

[/b]

The notion of monogamy comes to mind. Both genders of the human species are hard wired … a priori … to engage sexually with any member of the opposite sex … or at least almost any member … absolutely necessary for the sole purpose of propagation of the species.

This a priori information comes into conflict with the man made construct of monogamy and morality … the result being a real shit storm … since time immemorial.

How many other instances of conflict are a result of the same phenomenon?

Whatever issues you can raise can be easily verified by empirical evidence if one were to reflect deeply and widely.

It is not easy for most to face the question of mortality on the conscious level. It is only possible by some hard work in re-wiring the relevant inhibitors to be stronger.

But what is critical is for the majority to understand how much their resultant acts are linked to the root causes of the cognitive dissonance and existential dilemma.
For example, theists need not give up theism [better if they can] but they need to understand why they must believe in an illusory god is because they are driven subliminally by that inherent cognitive dissonance pulsating at the basement of their mind. Thus they have no choice at present but to believe in a God as a balm to soothe the terrible existential angst.

If they understand such a psychological mechanics, they are likely to pause rather than act spontaneously into defensive mode [even kill non-believers] every time they mis-perceived any criticism against theism as a critical threat.

Critical point is humanity must find fool proof alternative spiritual methods to deal with that inherent unavoidable psychological and terrible pulse from the basement of the minds of the majority to replace religions [band aids] which will be net negative to the well being of human in the near future.

I have noticed, that in some, the fear of life and living, actually pawns the fear of death.

Both are learned processes.

I would lose absolutely nothing if I were to die tomorrow

That may, in a sense, be a good way to think. But what about the others in your life?
Since I do not know your life in any shape or form, your words may be true.

But if you were to quietly sit in the morning, every morning, sipping your coffee or tea, whatever, listening to Debussy or Chopin or Rachmaninoff, or slow jazz or whatever it is which brings beauty into your mind, in your beautiful solitude ~~ then would you come to feel that you had lost nothing at all?

Anyway, have you ever sat down (or stood lol) with pen and paper or computer and wrote down all of the positives, the blessings, the gifts, the little streams of silver lining, etc. in your life? I’m speaking of those which money cannot buy since to me they are usually more valuable than the others.

Is there not anything, something, in your life, which you haven’t yet achieved and yet you might wish that you still could?

You might wish to have written on your headstone ~ “I have lost nothing through dying”.

It is interesting to point out that the appreciation of natural versus unreal or simulated a (effects) in life have development development. The aesthetic sense grows side by side with the its fundamentals, namely existential concerns of immediacy.
The aesthetic therefore is a product concurrency, being a secondary differentiation, folding in on itself, where ‘It’, represents the breaking away of the reflection of/from a prr-reflexive consciesness, real or supposed

The basic existential preform consists of pure response , and this is what is instinctive or innate in pre conscious beings,.this is why death is not innate but learned, as is with aesthetic sensibility.

Can we fear the loss of an instinctual level of existence? No, because a purely unconscious pre reflexive, non aesthetic life has no conception of death, other thenthe immediate effects of the effects of the causes of death.

Death is a transcendence, between causes and effects, and it entails loss, and through the increasing subtle channelling of effects slowly developing a sense of autonomy through similar gain of control mechanisms

For these reasons I think the fear of death is learned and not innate.

An interesting collection of notions/concepts and associated theories has emerged in this OP:

1. a priori information … as in information hard wired into our brain

2. two wildly different systems trying to operate inside one brain

3. the basement of the mind … as in subconscious

4. observational information … as in consciousness

5. the foundation of the mind … as in (insert here)

6. the inward journey … as in introspection

7. the outward journey … as in conquest

:sunglasses: the conflict as a result of journeys in diametrically opposite directions

1. the ‘Cloud’ … as in cloud computing

2. the Noosphere … as in enveloping both the biosphere and atmosphere.

There are no others since I am a loner and have nothing to do with anyone anymore

Which is just as well as I am probably not going to be here for much longer anyway

There Is a cure, the use of the very bottom line in the sphere of fear: use fear and it’s trappings instead of it abusing you
.make fear your friend.

What a delightful suggestion Meno.

Emotions are personal … ergo: emotions are like family.

Here’s a fictitious conversation with St Francis of Assisi:

St Francis: Hello brother fear … nice of you to visit me again. Stay as long as you want because I know you are here to help me.

Brother Fear: I keep coming back because you hear me but never listen to me.

St Francis: I’ll try harder to listen to you today … tell me why you’ve come today.

Brother Fear: I want to help you make the right choice at the next fork in the road along your journey through life.

St Francis: OK … how will I know which path to take?

Brother Fear: It will be the path you don’t want to take. The path will be strewn with briars that will cause unspeakable pain and suffering.

St Francis: So your saying sister pain and sister suffering want to visit with me too.

Brother Fear: Yup!

And look at what happened to him.

Do you mean HERE or ILP?

As I had stated there are the conscious rational, unconscious and instinctual elements re fear of death.

DNA wise all humans are born [evolved] with an innate fear of death, i.e. babies are born with fear of darkness, absence of mother, certain sound, then snakes, spiders, height and all dangerous elements which likely can lead to death. Thus these instincts are ultimately related to the fear of death.

I agree there are many elements that are learned from subsequent evidences as from experiences, informed, learned etc. But these are merely stimuli that trigger the inherent fear of death circuits in the brain.
People also learn of death from observations of the death of other humans as no humans has lived an average more than 100 years old and max at 150 years. Thus the maxim, all humans are mortal.

Therefore DNA wise all humans are “programmed” [btw no programmers] via evolution with an innate fear of death but fortunately it is inhibited and suppressed at the conscious level most [not all] of the time.

Pilgrim & Phyllo,

The power of the fear used to advantage is very strong, it’s like the use of kundalini fire, be careful HOW its used, it can burn, or, it can purify.

HERE but I cannot be certain

Meno … about kundalini fire … are you speaking from personal experience or personal knowledge?

I had my first kundalini awakening symptom more than 20 years ago. Yes … since that experience … on more occasions than I care to remember, I almost lost it … lost it as in free room and board in a “padded cell” somewhere.

Anyone who knows me … including my parents, siblings and children … believe I “lost it” more than 20 years ago and have never recovered. :smiley:

IMO … if kundalini fire knocks on your door … the worst thing you can do is refuse to open the door. If you open the door on the first visit the worst thing you can do is try to close the door to subsequent visits.

surreptitious,

I was speaking of death ~~ your demise ~~when I said HERE.
Is that what you meant?

Yes I know you were and that is what I meant too

Hi: I learned it first from knowledge and then from experience.Ibtried it years ago without proper preparatopn, and it did nearly drive me out of my mind, and after I was married I used the previous knowledge and practiced it , and it has helped me a great deal.

That is is dangerous to prematurely to the uninitiated , I have no doibt.

I have had other dosciines which I practiced concurrently, namely Zen, which to me works as a backup system, when there is danger ahead with Kundalini

The most tempting shortcut is when at first the energy bypasses the soul and goes into the head, and that is when things can go haywire, maybe You had a similar experience along the way.