Single-player Video Games Thread

Souls games are dungeon crawlers. Basically, slow-paced action games. The only thing in common with RPG genre is skill development. Other than that, there is nothing in common: no story, no dialog choices, no open world, no nothing of what is unique to RPGs. It’s more about combat and prudence than anything else. Many assume it’s a hack n slash game because of the way it looks in the videos but the problem is you can’t play it like a hack n slash. You die when you try to do so. It’s a slow-paced game: you must be very careful with every step and move you make.

Sauwelios,

Changing platforms to play a great game is not a question for a die hard gamer. Just sayin’.

True, and I was considering getting a laptop as my next “console” anyway. Then I should definitely try that mod.

Sauwelios,

GOG.com has some updated versions of M&M VI-VIII, of course, the graphics are low polygon count and there are no awesome kill shots (low tech combat), but if you enjoy RPG skill building, an open world, and loads of challenging everything (bad guys, items, quests), check it out. I’ve never finished any of them nor have I even attempted to play the non turn-based mode (you get swarmed so it’s suicide). Even with walk-throughs and cheats, it’ll be devotional.

Has anyone played Glyph’s freeware Rift?

I tried the mod when it came out, but the game [fighting etc] isn’t designed for it. …and I always play as female protagonist.

I liked the first deus ex, but it is not [as]moddable like skyrim or fallout4, still I may check out the new one when its cheaper/sale. I see nexus host’s mod for it, mostly missions though. Shame you cant choose the character [and a female one], that’s a big part of it for me.

I think 3rd person is like someone has stuck a big lump on my screen, and there’s no way to get rid of it lol particularly bad if its a big ole male ass you gotta look at all the time. #-o

Nexus has a whole 2 mods for it, people keep saying you keep getting killed n stuff in it and the graphics are outdated.

why do Bethesda take so long to bring out new games! don’t they like money or something.

Shit, Bethesda made Redguard and Daggerfall (MS-DOS), neither’s disc-set ever worked properly.

GOG went elitist. Much changes in a year.

Speaking of Souls series, whoever is new to the series should avoid Dark Souls 2 because it’s the worst game of them all. It’s difficult for me to tell which one is the best. I played them all starting with Demon’s Souls of which I have the best memories. I’d rank them lile this: Demon’s Souls > DS1 > DS3 > DS2. But again, it’s difficult for me to remove the bias of the sequence in which I played them.

One thing is sure, DS3 has the best music.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stWae6r7Blw[/youtube]

Yes. And Bloodborne was amazing as well.

I’d still say Dark Souls 2 is a solid game. I really don’t think you could go wrong starting with any of them.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhY7sfQHUpw[/youtube]

Yea but who wants a 4ki game/machine with a 3rd person lump stood in front of the screen all the time.

I gone back to playing total war games recently [ETW], but the newer games have gone with the survivalist theme, so you get fog-of-war ~ literally a screen of fog with a bit of green in the centre. I don’t get it, the games need good machines if you want the better graphics, but then the developers go and do that.

Here’s the thing, third-person has better possibilities for game mechanics. In third-person, you can see exactly how your character moves, dodges, swings a sword, blocks with a shield, etc. And you need to pay attention to all of these things in a game like Dark Souls or the Witcher. You need to learn the timing of your movements and watching your character and getting a sense of his/her size and gait, etc. is the best way to do that. First-person is like playing blind. Sure you still learn timing, but I’ve never seen a first-person non-shooter that had great combat mechanics. It’s more difficult to do.

As far as looking at a male player character butt all game, I don’t have that problem b/c I’m not focused on the butt. To be honest, it sounds like a weird insecurity that you can’t stand to play male characters in 3rd person, because you don’t want to look at a man’s backside…

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcuLEyBfR9Y[/youtube]

you can’t do this ^ in first-person

Don’t forget demon souls. It’s better than dark souls three but not as good as DS1

Not only did I not forget it, I ranked it as the best game inthe series.

I played Bloodborne up until Cleric Beast (or whatever it is called.) It’s faster compared to Souls games and combat mechanics are neither as good nor as authentic (holding a shield in your left hand feels much more natural than holding a gun.) Certainly not a fan of the game.

I like the music though.

Oh man, you never made it out of the first area. If it weren’t for nostalgia and respect for the originals, Bloodborne might be my favorite of the lot. The gun was supposed to be a new kind of parry, among other things. I never used it. The metal cane/whip was an awesome weapon, though, and the combos from one swing to the alternate swing was awesome if you timed it right. Mechanics were really not different from Souls at all. Bloodborne forced you to play without a shield so you’d focus more on movement, and it incentivized a more aggressive play-style with health regen on successful attacks. Bloodborne’s “Insight” system is also reminiscent of Demon Soul’s world tendency events. I love that they implement experimental systems like insight and world tendency that deepen the game experience but are almost invisible to the casual player.

So you did. I said I was a therapist, not a good listener!

Share your experiences with multiplayer games.
Who did you beat and at what?

Here is Sri Sauwelio aka Mitra Sauwelios beating Syndrome at the archetypical fighting game.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1HUntBUO3E[/youtube]

Joker convinced me to try his Fallout 3. Killing is stressful and it’s killing time every other step in this game. Usually I only carry a weapon or two in most games, but in this game I carry an arsenal. Geesh, there’s a fitting weapon for each and every Baddie, but ammo can often be scarce so better not miss…ever! :violence-chainsaw: ← I’m looking for one of those chainsaws to replace my combat knife which lacks the reach needed to gut homicidal beings properly. Never thought I’d say a Chinese officer’s sword would be sweet to wield, but such are the times. :evilfun:

Has anyone ever played the prequel of Resident Evil, I think it’s called Resident Evil Origins?