philosophy with children

Daddy: Hey guys, does God have a body?

Cassidy: No.

Daddy: Then how does he exist? Where is he?

Cassidy: God is the wind. ← I like that answer. :slight_smile:

Daddy: Did you guys know there are some people who believe that after God created the universe, he just walked away? These are call deists.

Cassidy: What? But God wouldn’t walk away if he loves us.

Daddy: Well, it might be like when mommy drops you guys off at school.

Cassidy: But God doesn’t drop people off at school.

Daddy: Well, maybe he just had to go and do something. Like maybe he had to go get groceries.

[kids laugh]

I think my daughter’s gonna be a regular philosopher. In fact, she asked me the other day if I could setup an ILP account for here. As much as I’d love that, I told her: maybe when you’re older.

Trixie … I don’t read many of your posts … the posts I have read I find … in a word … unsavoury.

OTH … I have learned some utterly profound truths in some of your words … subtle profundity. I’ll file the above post in the subtle profundity drawer … the same drawer I filed your following words …

Kaden: Can you sleep with me for 5 minutes?

Daddy: Ok, I’ll sleep with you for a looong five minutes, how 'bout that.

Kaden: Ok.

Daddy: Kades, do you think there can be a short five minutes and a long five minutes?

Kaden: Well, maybe in those other places around the world that have different times.

Daddy: You mean different time zones?

Kaden: Yeah, I think so.

Daddy: So you mean, maybe somewhere else in the world, five minutes is really six minutes long?

Kaden: Maybe.

Daddy: Do you think time is longer on the Moon?

Kaden: [laughs] Daddy, there aren’t any people on the Moon.

Daddy: [laughs] Oh, right, what was I thinking?

[Kaden thinks a bit]

Kaden: … actually, I think you can have time even if there’s no people.

Cassidy: Five minutes is five minutes. It can’t be different. Sometimes time can feel like it’s taking longer, but it always takes the same amount of time.

Well, that settled that.

Your kids are very bright. Children are naturally better at philosophy than most adults. Often, they are better at drawing, composing simple songs and telling certain kinds of stories. It’s mysterious but obvious. Philosophy is an art.

Is it such a mystery Faust?

The clay is simply clay until the potter forces it into some particular shape.

thephilosophyman.com/

hmm… iiinteresting. :-k Will have to check that out later.

Today, I showed my children a mobius strip.

I told them I could make a piece of paper with only one side. They doubted me. So I showed them. I cut out of strip of paper, colored one side purple, the other side green, and then made a mobius strip out of it. I showed them that if you keep following the strip on the purple side, you eventually get to the green side, and then back to the purple side.

I think it flew over their heads.

You should ask them in the universe has an end. If they say no, then ask them how we could ever know if its just over the horizon from our point of view. If they say yes, then ask them whats on the other side of the border of the universe.

One thing that a lot of people fail at is realizing which questions can only be answered with a guess.

It’s too late. My kids are onto me. Anytime I bring up a philosophical-sounding question, my daughter covers her ears.

Are they American? If so, this is normal.

Um… I hope not.

[b]

[/b]

One could accurately stretch the geography referenced in the above statement to include (insert here)

I guess that settles it. My children are Scandinavian. :laughing:

I successfully taught my daughter the synthetic/analytic distinction. I said to her:

“You know, Cassidy, there are some thing that people will tell you that you have to go out and check to see if it’s true, then there are things people will tell you that you can figure out if it’s true or not in your head. So for example, if I told you that I had eggs for breakfast this morning, can you figure out if that’s true in your head or do you have to go out and check?”

“Go out and check.”

“And if I told you that 6 times 4 is 24, could you figure out if that’s true in your head or do you have to go out and check?”

“In my head.”

“That’s right!”

The girl’s got it!

Have you ever hugged a tree, gib?
Teach by example.

Yes, but you could have also told her that it’s okay to go out and check thereby teaching her the scientific method. Some things which we think are true in our heads are not necessarily so.

Sometimes we are right and sometimes we are wrong. :auto-swerve:

Now that’s teaching her philosophy. :mrgreen:

Ah, only you can teach the wisdom of hugging trees, Arc.

Why don’t you film yourself hugging a tree and post it. I’ll show my kids. :smiley:

I’m pretty sure 6 x 4 is 24. And besides, the point was to teach her the synthetic/analytic distinction. I think I did quite well. :wink:

gib,

I certainly hope that this would not be true. What a pity that would be.

Okay. Can I recite Joyce Kilmer’s Trees…

I think that I shall never see
A poem lovely as a tree.

A tree whose hungry mouth is prest
Against the earth’s sweet flowing breast;

A tree that looks at God all day,
And lifts her leafy arms to pray;

A tree that may in Summer wear
A nest of robins in her hair;

Upon whose bosom snow has lain;
Who intimately lives with rain.

Poems are made by fools like me,
But only God can make a tree.