What is Prophecy?

Prophecy is a Biblical term … the secularists disdain the notion of prophecy … yet …

1. Forecasting the weather is a form of prophecy … today using science as the medium … wasn’t always so.

2. The Climate Change saga is one huge prophecy.

3. Astrologers are prophets … using the movement of the stars, planets, galaxies and so on as a medium.

4. Horoscopes and biorhythms are much more popular than listening to a sermon in church on Sundays.

5. The Beatitudes is one long prophecy.

Is prophecy subject to Jame’s universal law?

Of course … or Jame’s universal law would not be universal.

Let’s look at atheistic China … any Biblical prophet types in ancient China? What about Lao Tzu

Chapter 78 Dao De Jing

Nothing in the world is softer and weaker than water,
But no force can compare with it in attacking the hard and strong,
For this reason there is no substitute for it.
Everyone in the world knows
That the soft can overcome the hard,
And the weak can overcome the strong,
But none can put it into practice.

Reads a lot like prophecy … even overlaps with some of the Beatitude prophecies. ???

So how do some prophecies end up coming true?

It’s called “self fulfilling prophecy” … when enough individuals buy into … internalize … any given prophecy … collectively they subconsciously make it happen … maybe.

The self fulfilling prophecies that are unfolding in 2017 are:

1. insert here

2. insert here

3. insert here

The thing about prophecy is that there’s no time period, usually, of when things are going to happen. Evidence shows everybody that everything will happen at one point, at least in some subjective way.

The UN might get bigger and corrupt, and the NWO might happen. Aliens will probably end up on Earth on one point. Of course, an extraordinary claim that Jesus will come back has already happened in some religions. a la certain Abrahamic denominations. Now, when you claim that the world is going to flood in 2013, like climate change people do, we can see that’s not true, but to say that the world will never flood? That’s an improbability.

Aside: Was James lying when he wrote it? :evilfun:

What about self is spurring these prophecies to fulfillment anyways?

End of Days/Final Judgement (civil unrest, WWIII machine, divide between man & nature, immorality run rampant, self-centeredness, disintegration of organized religious fabric, ruin of the family unit and their community support structures, worried masses of consumerists)

Spiritual Awakenings (without direction or understood constitution for many)

I don’t think James intention was to posit his comments as a “universal truth” … I may be wrong though … if not:

1. Law of unintentional consequences?

2. Second law of thermo dynamics?

3. Entropy?

Consider the consequences:

1. When one tells the truth but not the whole truth … one is lying. Often with the best of intentions … aware that the truth is destructive … and not wanting to offend or hurt someone you love. Aware that the truth is destructive and not wanting to elicit persecution or rejection from some or all of one’s social network.

2. On a larger scale now:
    a) Some argue that God is lying … withholding truth … and this is the cause of all “destruction”.

b) Some argue that God has revealed all truth and people … especially the people with privilege … refuse to acknowledge it because of the attendant “destruction” … the destruction of all their privilege(s).

Wendy … it may be that “self” is only an illusion. We are all part of a much much much bigger ONE … maybe.

When the gods showed me visions of the future, I imagine that every aspect of that derives from inside my mind. That, aside from the causal information, where the brain will be the thing producing the images you are experiencing.

Ones future, past and present is all on one line. Usually we are like a train rolling along the ‘now track’, but if you detach from that you can see more, something akin to if you are looking down upon the trains on tracks.

You would think that if you could do that, then you would get to see everything, but you cannot. You only get to see the future in metaphor, and even then, only that which wont contradict/change the future upon its knowing.

Looking into the future, something humans have needed to do. Why? Fear. Why fear? Sentience as we call it and claim it as our own on this planet. We see ourselves, our species as alone. Can we bring prophecy about just by ourselves, yes. Species can group change through breeding and communication. Might sound ignorant or stupid but, why do species migrate as a whole before drastic changes are made in environment, yes genetics and there you go another way… and yes I am buzzed but a long day has occurred and well my mind is not constrained right now.

Amorphos … perhaps you have stepped into the quicksand.

Your comments echo those of St Augustine …

You may want to consider the notion of Beginners Mind.

Kriswest … your genius is seeping out … yet again!

You may have sensed … intuitively … what the Guehla labels “exile” … what Gib prefers to label “escape”. Perhaps both labels are relevant. ie Some souls wander the planet in voluntary exile … some souls wander the planet having escaped from God.

You wrote … “Looking into the future” … again you may have sensed … intuitively … what the Guehla labels “redemption” … the return to God.

You may be pointing to how “genius” occurs … at least some of the time.

1. I’m reminded of some of my favorite experiences on the camino(s) … those times where I was so exhausted … my body racked with pain … the sun searing my mind … I too found myself saying … “well my mind is not constrained right now.”

2. Serious practitioners of Yogi meditation, transcendental meditation, … in China qi gong … work very hard and long to achieve a similar state of mind as "not constrained right now.

3. Scholars and intellects have a serious investment in whatever paradigm(s) they attach their wagon to … getting beyond this investment is nigh impossible.

Kriswest … while you have shown no interest in pursuing your recent “buzz” … I was reminded of your above words this morning when I read the following:

more emerging thoughts …

My personal world view is the fruit of my personal experiences and reflections.

Seems the cosmos sends me ‘stuff’ … often written by people long gone from this planet … that confirms my personal world view.

In essence … my personal self fulfilling prophecy.

Perhaps Mackernie was right … I think too much … I should take a rest … I should go back to “chopping wood”. :laughing:

It is not that I have no interest it is that my time has been and still limited due to work and family.
The major difference between us understanding and learning this subject is rock and plant.
I the rock , you the plant. When I look at human I look at animal and basic functions with added comprehensions . A bird will see its reflection and never understand that it is not real, higher order animals will figure out that the animal is not real or not worth the effort. Prophecy is our way of looking into a mirror without ever having seen ourselves. Or willing our view to change. Fear of what is or what will be…

Yeah … I have the privilege of old age … the season of life where much less time is consumed with work and family.

OTH … perhaps it’s a curse rather than a privilege … I end up going round and round and never move forward with my thoughts.

You seem to have that uncanny … and very rare … ability to pop in and out and still contribute substantial “wisdom” to a conversation.

A classic example of what I just wrote above.

I interpret your words … perhaps erroneously … as follows:

We want to cling to consciousness … we enjoy the experience of consciousness … or at least some moments of consciousness. We have no compelling evidence that our individual consciousness will survive the death of our physical body.

… and therein lies the “fear” and the “or willing our view to change”