The Phenomenon of Man ... Wo-man

We’ll be trying to take a peek at it soon:
bbc.com/news/science-environment-38937141

Pan, you seem to be caught up in the excuse making of a specific set of people who desperately tried to defend their preference of prophecy and belief. But if you want to discuss the real story, it is best to do so on the science forum. For example, the Second “Law” of Thermodynamics has been proven wrong for over a century, despite the many attempts to rewrite it to make it seem correct. The most correct rewrite stated that it is merely a propensity, not a law, which would be true. And as black holes crush, disintegrate, and absorb entire galaxies, some radiation escapes. Black holes do not decrease in size or mass. They are run away gravitation, cosmic vacuum cleaners spraying a little refuse dust in their wake.

Atlantis The Ice Age(s) The Flood(s) Pharaoh’s Egypt Babylon Rome Washington

When I ponder the above 7 data points I see:

1. The rise and fall of complexity.

2. Rising complexity spawning arrogance.

3. Rising arrogance triggering a fall.

4. Cyclical … yes

5. Linear … ???

Begs the question … where are we at the moment?

What difference does it make where you are?

Phyllo … allow me to change one word in your question.

What difference does it make where we are?

Perhaps the answer is ‘forecast’ … all businesses do it … the successful businesses get it right! eg Nokia and Apple

For the desperate people … desperate according to James

James wrote:

Matthew 16:3

You changed the question but did not provide an answer.

The weather people can’t even accurately predict the weather two weeks from now. What can you/we forecast? And what does it all have to do with complexity?

Ice ages last tens of thousands of years.

Rome lasted hundreds or thousands of years, depending on how you count.

How can these be considered “data points” in any reasonable sense?

Somebody has characterized every age in this way. :laughing:

Phyllo … I shared some thoughts that popped into my consciousness … triggered at least in part by Pan’s comments concerning the scientific/philosophical notion of complexity.

I have no blue print of the future.

My small mind finds no contradiction between Pan’s scientific/philosophical view of complexity and Teilhard’s somewhat tainted … religious/spiritual … view of complexity.

All people predict/forecast every day … unconsciously … we all predict/forecast that the sun will come up tomorrow. :laughing:

… and all of those "somebody(s) were right … it’s simply a question of degree. :laughing:

The Ice Age, Atlantis(Eden) is born from God(s), The Floods swept away God’s shame/disappointment, Sumeria?, Egypt/Babylon?, Rome?, Washington/New York?, Armageddon?

If all religions were melded together, what would be THE tenet they were all comprised of?

In a word … “arrogance”

Attempts to usurp the authority … superiority of God.

usurp as in abrogate

the late Dr Wayne Dyer mentioned a plausible acronym for EGO … Edge God Out

abrogate as in repeal God’s laws and replace them with man’s laws.

What are God’s laws?

There is only one … get drunk on agape … selfless … LOVE

I heard many years ago that the OT can be summed up in 9 words and the NT in one word.

OT … I am your God and you are My people.

NT … LOVE

I like care better. Care for yourself and for others, including God. Care is more directive, less ambiguous.

Care for all that lives.

Wendy … you have such a way with words … such a “feminine” way.

I’ve written many times … words in and of themselves are impotent.

Readers … be vigilant … you may feel someone tapping you on your left shoulder … someone who wants to give you an experience of agape love … an experience involving God. :slight_smile:

Show me.