Suffering and gods invisibility

tom wrote

That’s informal prayer, tom. Who is answering the negative prayers, wishes?

Like I’ve already said, Mankind cannot keep living in denial of his destructive behaviors (even if they begin as thought forms), consequences are upon us. Man needs to take notice not only of what is pleasant, but what is not so pleasant as well for only when we are responsible for both forms, from constructive to destructive and back again, can a lasting metamorphosis occur.

Man has done a pretty good job so far … living in denial that is :smiley:

Wendy … you may be introducing the dialectic “Unity of Opposites” here … constructive to destructive and back again :slight_smile:

More emerging thoughts …

Empirical evidence consistently confirms the “travel” from constructive phase … to destructive phase eg. the Dark Ages to the Renaissance.

An ancient Chinese sage labelled this “Reversion of the Extremes”

Perhaps mankind’s ongoing metamorphosis is the “fruit” of these alternating phases.

Wendy … you may have just “sparked” the fusion of religion(spirituality) … philosophy … and science.

tom,

You don’t say? One more phase is all that’s needed, no more going backwards is necessary if people would just “evolve.”

Attention baby chicks, it’s time to grow, honest.

You’re saying that Renaissance was destructive and Dark ages was constructive?

Most people would disagree with those characterizations.

We humans exist in a mesocosm, a middle ground between microcosm and macrocosm. From this middle ground, and by virtue of wanting to know all that exists, we have invented microscope and telescope. We are enclosed in the mesocosm because of the limitations of our senses. Yet we yearn to know more than our senses can reveal to us. Thus we have religion and science. I’d say religion is the second zeitgeist in the evolution of human memes. The first was the primitive, second the religious, third the philosophical and fourth the scientific and technological. All of this evolution owes greatly to the human desire to know, which may be God within, helping us though our stages of development. If the planet can survive our human adolescence, we may see a glorious future of things to know and feel.

Phyllo … I remember a test from grade 8 … all true or false questions … that was about 54 years ago … actually I only remember one question from the test …

Being the smart ass I was at that age I quickly answered “false” … you see I didn’t realize the operative word was “grow”

The Dark Ages laid the foundation for the Renaissance … ergo … constructive

The Renaissance laid the foundation for the destruction of (insert here) … ergo … destructive

God is evident in the yearning of the cosmos to know itself. This yearning is an evolved concern from organisms whose brains have reached a stage of self-consciousness.

I know what it feels like to die.

My theory is, we are soldiers from a future utopia, but some meddling backwards time traveller did something wrong, so we have to change the past and go to this shithole known as 2000’s era to stop something from happening (or cause something to happen that didn’t happen.)

The only possible way to time travel is through Consciousness, so we may be from the future and using a consciousness time-travel device to enter the past.

And all species are replaced by the next development, so how can it be about species either? Secondly, species are not sentient and it doesn’t matter what happens to them, it only matter about what’s experienced by individuals [if at all].

If he said hello at least we would all know he exists. Perhaps divinity doesn’t want us to >know<, as that would affect outcomes, and how we think about the world. In other words divinity would be interfering, and if one were an inventor or artist, you would want to think you done that achievement and not have it taken away from you. So maybe its the same in all cases, our efforts are our efforts and achievements.

For some definitely yes, because some species clearly kill the previous life-form [caterpillar] when coming out of the chrysalis stage.

Good point, in fact I think the cosmos exists such to be realised. So that yearning is prior to cosmos.

St John of the Cross “Dark Night of the Soul”

Yeah, I think that’s probably right. If people “knew” that there is a God, they would be even more freaked out than they are now. Some people would not be able to fart without checking with God about the “correct” direction.

There are some real advantages to God’s “invisibility”.

https://www.ewtn.com/library/SOURCES/DARK-JC.TXT

Boy oh boy, much resolve to be had.

Trixie … do the legends Atlantis and Noah’s Ark dovetail with the thoughts you just shared?

I included Noah’s ArK despite having read some of the colourful language you have employed to illustrate your attitude towards the Abrahamic religions. Your relentless repetition makes them difficult to ignore.

Some argue … albeit only some … that prejudice(s) blind even the most brilliant of intellects.

According to Julian Jaynes the mind at the time gods appeared to men was schizophrenic. I’d say look to evolution for the birth of God. Without humans, there would be no need for a God. So human need created the gods or at least created gods who could be personal.
Using Paul MacLean’s triune theory of the human brain as reptilian at the base, mammalian in the midbrain and modern (for want of a better word) in the neocortex, one can see how easily the topography symbolizes serpent, Eve, and Adam.
In short the large event in human consciousness, call it Eden, was when the brain/mind developed consciousness of a Self.
The characters of our religious myths are symbols of aspects of human growth and development.
So why did God disappear? The concept of God no longer contains its power to explain what exists. Introspection has replaced projection.

Then why are so many people wandering around in a lost haze?

I think the answer is that human “success” in dominating the world and nature lead to arrogance and the belief that humans no longer need God for anything. But it turns out that when they “threw out” God, they lost something very important.

Right!

Oh ok, we’ll all just be stupid fukwits instead of thinking human beings then. Good way to devolve!

Have you read the poem Amorphos? The link I included above is the explanation of its significance. Here it is again.

https://www.ewtn.com/library/SOURCES/DARK-JC.TXT