Unitarian Universalism

Hi y’all.

The topic of this thread is Unitarian Universalism. Out of every religion I’ve studied, Unitarianism is the one that peaked my interest the most. Maybe about eight or nine years ago I was reading up New Religious Movements on Wikipedia and came across Unitarian Universalism. What made it unique to me, at least, was the fact that it’s “type” of religion is itself, “Unitarian Universalism”. But actually going into the article something clicked in me. Something that told me that this was the right thing for me. The fact that you are able to worship how you see fit, and a community that values understanding and compassion was very interesting to me. With other religions, I felt like if you didn’t fit into their mold you were just a non-believer, but in the same sense with Unitarianism I felt like if you didn’t fit in you were a bad person.

I’ve learned a lot since then. Its “liberal theology” accumulates to “Seven Principles” and “Six Sources of Faith”, all of which are just common sense. Likewise, the theology doesn’t have much weight. Unitarians don’t talk about God or the afterlife. You know, at least in other churches even if you disagree with everybody else, you still have something to talk about. I went to two Unitarian groups and found out that virtually nobody wants to talk about matters that are actually spiritual. Liberal spirituality is basically taking anything, like pets, the weather, or your car and somehow making it spiritual.

There are UU books, but they’re just reference guides, and there’s no one “authority” book. I have a hard time calling this a religion. I would call it a philosophy of religion, or a religious philosophy. I know it has roots in liberal Christianity, but that’s just it - the only thing that is common amongst everybody in the religion is that they are all politically liberal! I felt much out of place because of this. There’s even Unitarian sermons that discuss on how to talk to a conservative.

It seems like every sermon is just a reaffirmation of liberal causes. They all believe in things like common core, polyamory awareness, reproductive rights, gay marriage, “black lives matter” and anthropogenic global warming - but they won’t want to talk about religious things with you - like theology or eschatology. I argued with someone at the church, because I didn’t fit his mold of liberalism. I felt really uncomfortable going to the church since then.

I’m making this a poll because I want people to read this and tell me their opinion. So, what is your opinion about the subject matter? Have you ever gone to a Unitarian church, and if you did, did you enjoy your stay? What is your overall feelings about UUism? Let me, and us know, in your comments below.

[Nobody answered the poll, so I’m removing it.]

I have a friend who found great peace in UU and I’m reconciling myself to the fact that my “non-denominational” Protestant wife who comes from a fairly radical charismatic tradition (speaking in tongues, drinking arsenic, etc) means that I’ll spend a lot of time in UU services as we raise our child-to-be.

Not ideal but it’s an imperfection we can both work with.

That said, aside from certain communities in New England, I can see where the whole “A good compromise leaves all parties unsatisfied.”

I say this as someone who will begrudgingly raise his son in the UU tradition.

Wouldn’t it make more sense to do what both of you want to do? If she’s a non-dom protestant (the most radical kind), then let her take your children to her church. And whatever you believe in, you take him to. Or, if you don’t believe, have long talks with him about atheism, or science, or something. Just because you are married, it doesn’t mean both of you have to suffer. Unitarian Universalism is not reactionary Protestantism, and it isn’t quite atheist either. Neither of you are going to be happy at your experience from this church.

Raising your children to respect their ancestors while also shitting on the matrilineal line is totally in keeping with my tradition but also not what I want to do?

The community is an authentic representation of what we both want. The nominal Jesus is sufficient for her family in a way that proper “sangha” wouldn’t be. We can practice quite sitting at home.

It’s an “all winners, no losers” scenario.