A Religious Quiz

Okay. I’ve updated the quiz yet again. (I’m addicted to perfecting this quiz!)

51 Questions, 40 Results.

Here are the results list.

Islam, Human Secularist, Hinduism, Buddhism, Ethnic Religion, African Traditional Religion, Sikhism, Spiritism, Judaism, Baha’i Faith, Jainism, Shinto, Cao Dai, Zoroastrianism, Tenrikyo, Modern Paganism, Unitarian Universalism, Rastafari, Terasem Movement Transreligion, Scientology, Religion of Humanity, LeVeyan Satanism, World Pantheist Movement, Jediism, Pastafarianism, Eckankar, Raelism, Thelema, Kopimism, Taoism, Confucianism, Exaltism, Catholic, Protestant, Eastern Orthodox Christianity, Mormon, Omnism, Right Reason, Atheism+, Agnostic.

I’ve hit my mark on my questions but I’m still lagging a bit behind on results. If anyone has any suggestions as to what additional results could be, message me on here or PM message me (either way is fine).

Edit: I added the religion of “Creativity”.

52 Questions now. I included a question on proselyting.

I’d strongly suggest fusing Daoism and Confucianism (with some Buddhist sprinklings) into Chinese Traditional Religion – this is from someone who self-identifies as a Confucian. Cao Dai and Shinto should remain their own thing for the same reason. Split Buddhism into Mahayana and Theravada. Vajrayana if you want but I’d avoid it because it’s really granular. At that point you may as well start breaking down the sects of Protestantism. Likewise, expand Tenrikyo to “Japanese New Religions” though I think a whole “New Religion” catch-all might be good – that would also let you grab some of the alien cults. I don’t see Islam represented at all, you should fix that. Unless you think the Filoque and/or iconoclasim controversies are still hot shit, maybe mend the Great Schism with Catholic and Orthodox into Chalcedonian so you have Protestant, Chalcedonian and non-Chalcedonian. All three are super broad catch-alls but so is everything else. Likewise, I think you could cut down on real estate by having a catch-all “post modern religion” or “anti-religion” category. That would clear up a lot of the oddballs on the list.

I did, but I realized that Confucianism and Taoism are pretty unique.

Cao Dai comes from Vietnam, and Shinto comes from Japan.

I want to, but I have virtually no way of knowing the difference between those sects of Buddhism. In fact, out of all the major world religions I know Buddhism the least.

Ugh.

I already have many new religions, including Raelism. Why should I merge all of them into one religion? There’s a huge difference between, say, Unitarian Universalism, Raelism, and Scientology.

It is. I might not use the vernacular of that religion to describe it, but it’s there.

I have no clue what you are talking about.

Ah yes, the antitheism. I will probably add that soon, thanks for reminding me of that.

LOL.

So much so wrong.

Gimme something better than that weak sauce.

If you know religions so much, why don’t you create a quiz or your own? Then everybody can take your quiz because it will be so much better than mine.

www.selectsmart.com

Get started!

Is your misunderstanding an accident or a rhetoric goal? You have put words in my mouth I never used. I did not say that “postivism” had to with “x” or “y”. I merely said that “positivism is not merely a ‘humanitarian’ thing” (see above) - in other words: I merely said what you can read in my post (see above). So, please, try to read my post.

I am not “complaining about it”, but you are complaining about something that does not fit in your “quiz”.

In fact, I decided to not “take the quiz”, because there are too many mistakes between the questions and the offered answers in that “quiz”.

You are asking:
[i]How many[/i] God(s) do you believe exist right now?”
To that question, you are offering e.g. the following nine answers:

• “My beliefs transcendent God.”
  • “Everything is God.”
  • “God exists outside the universe and is unconscious.”
  • “Technology is God.”
  • “Gods are not important.”
  • “The belief that all Gods exist.”
  • “An infinite amount of higher beings.”
  • “Nobody can know whether God exists or not.”
  • “None of these options.”

These answers have nothing to do with the “how many?” question. In addition, some of them have nothing to do with God(s).

So two-thirds of your offered answers have nothing to do with your question. #-o

And by the way: What do you mean with your other question: “which religion are you?”? A human being “isnot a religion. I “amnot a religion. You “arenot a religion.

Please do not react by using personal attacks. I am just asking you.

Note: You have asked me “why” I “don’t … take” your “quiz”, and I have honestly answered that question.

I read your post. I understand what you are trying to say - that humanity is more complex than a positivist reaction to it. That there are parts of human understand that are subjective rather than objective - like many of societies problems and the social sciences. They are not exact. And I see your point. If that isn’t your point, can you please elaborate further so I can fully understand your argument.

Or

You are trying to say that the philosophy of Positivism doesn’t just try to be a humanitarian thing. Almost every single answer I posted I did using Wikipedia articles. They might not always be correct, or even accurate.

Okay, so maybe my vernacular was a little off. I realize that, for example, “technology is god” does not really answer the question about how many Gods there is. Neither does, “Gods are not important.” However, each answer provides an answer regarding the nature of God or Gods. I might not have expressed it that way in the question - plus I have another question that is similar, what is the nature of your theology, which is in direct relationship to how many God(s) one believes and how they observe them. So my vocabulary is a little off. If you got upset at my first question of the quiz, then you really shouldn’t take the quiz anyway. I’m sorry, okay? I made a boo-boo, and honestly I don’t know the wording to fix that problem. Maybe you can lead a hand? :blush:

… would “Which of the following do you believe about God?” be better? I’m humbly asking for your honest opinion.

Ah, yes. I’m going to let you in a little secret. I’m bi-polar. Yes, I used the wording as such, even though I know the correct terminology is I have bi-polar disorder. I realize that someone cannot literally be a religion - even if they answer every question in accordance to that religion. What I could say, instead is, “Which religion may fit you best?” That would be correct vernacular.

Maybe we should talk about this together in a PM. Maybe we could work on the phrasing of these questions. Because, well, you know, philosophy is all about context. :wink:

Effort posting here.

I’m interested to hear your thoughts, please present them.

So? Is geography destiny?

You are including a lot of internet joke religions which is fine but what do they actually mean?

Good for you, why are you making this quiz pseudo-comprehensive then?

Totally shallow separation but:

Answer key (not comprehensive and open to interpretation):

T=Theravada
M=Mahayana
V=Vajrayana

1. Is there only one Buddha (T) or do many exist (M, V)?

1a) How many Buddhas are present in the world right now? T=0. M=many V=1-3+ depending on how you view the legitimacy of Lama succession. Dalai and Panchen Lama + various pretenders to various thrones.

1. Do Bodhisattvas willingly remain in the cycle of death and rebirth? (No=T, V yes = M)

2. Devas – what the fuck are they? (T, not M and lesser extent no V)

3. Is Enlightenment dependent on G Buddha or or not? (T = yes, V/M = N)

4. Is G Buddha’s message understood by a select few (T and V) or is it for everyone (M)?

That should help.

Ugh.

You seem OK breaking down weird other shit “ugh” is weak sauce.

I already have many new religions, including Raelism. Why should I merge all of them into one religion? There’s a huge difference between, say, Unitarian Universalism, Raelism, and Scientology.

– Is there?

It is. I might not use the vernacular of that religion to describe it, but it’s there.

– You are weak and I resent spending as much time as I already have.

I have no clue what you are talking about.

– At least try to understand what you are talking about.

Ah yes, the antitheism. I will probably add that soon, thanks for reminding me of that.
[/quote]
–You don’t need another new element, you need to resolve and refine what you have.

Well, for one, Confucianism is obsessed with rituals, whereas Taoism focuses more on ethics. Confucianism is an atheistic religion, where as most Taoists believe in some sort of deities.

Oh come on! Tenrikyo and Cao Dai are very different! Tenrikyo is influenced by Shinto and Buddhism, as well as Shamanism. Cao Dai is a syncretic religion that resembles an eastern version of Catholicism. Totally different.

I took the “joke” religions like Jediism, Kopimism, and Pastafarianism and I took them at face-value. Simple as that.

(I mean, as far as the prophet question is concerned I don’t actually think many people think George Lucas is one. It was a gag, like Jediism itself is.)

There’s a LOT more I need to know besides that.

I would have to write Christian-only questions to resolve the conflicts of inner-Protestant sects. I do NOT want to do that. Many of the questions had Mormonism, Catholicism, Protestantism, and Eastern Orthodox Christianity be the same if not similar answers. I was considering added in Restorationism to that list, but then I read somewhere that Mormonism is part of that and I didn’t want the conflict.

Yes, there is. You are fucking ignorant if you think Raelism, Unitarian Universalism, and the Baha’i Faith are in any way, shape, or form the same. Raelism advocates for cloning and sexual freedom, UUism is a creed without one, and the Baha’i Faith is Islam’s answer to Christianity (or Christianity’s answer to Islam?).

I could say the same about you.

Maybe I have the balls to say that I don’t know everything about religion, and I really don’t have the time to research every religion like you do. Wait a minute … didn’t I just have to explain how NRMs are not all alike?

Secular Humanism, Atheism+, Agnosticism, and Pastafarianism is not explicitly anti-religion. Pastafarianism makes fun of religion, agnostics don’t know where they stand, and secular humanism and atheism+ are more to deal with secular ideas and thoughts. While all four and anti-theism are very similar, they are indeed, different.

Yeah . . . I was going to effort post but your post makes my point better than I possibly could.

I would agree that the questions need refining, so as to enable one’s reply to be more definite, so perhaps saying “what is your concept of God” rather than “how many gods do you believe in”, so making the question more succinct.

Where each question says to choose all that apply, is that a default text that appears? or are we really supposed to choose all that apply?

You’re really rude, you know that?

I already refined the God question to say exactly what you stated, and instead of the quiz saying, “What religion are you?” It says, “What religion may fit you best?”

All the questions are a “choose all that apply” EXCEPT for the last question, which you have to choose which religion you want the outcome to be. I didn’t want that question to hold too much weight so I limited that down to one answer.

May I suggest that you go through all the questions and refine them in a similar vein, then they will be easier to answer due to being more precise from the off.

I’ll start effort posting once you’ve shown me I should effort post.

Let’s start with a softball.

How are Daoism and Confucianism distinct?

Xunzian … can I answer? please … please … please :laughing:

I’m so grateful that you are helping these readers grasp … however slightly … Daoism and Confuciamism

Good quiz. Trouble is, I can believe [or not] in God, no God/god, and many G/gods. I don’t get what the confusion is.
Take one thing which may become anything but itself is none of them [as they all come from it [even God]]. End.

Which is why ALL of the questions have the option to choose multiple answers, save for the last question which you choose which faith you want as your result.

You are very wise.

EDIT: What was your result? Did you agree with it?

Seems like the dude is whiffing on it. So go for it. Hopefully we’ll learn something together :slight_smile:

First some context:

1. Some argue the first step in healing/reconciliation … whether it be between two individuals or two peoples … is an understanding of the “other”.

2. My grasp of Daoism and Confucianism is ‘crazy shallow’. My DNA doesn’t have security clearance for Chinese history and there is pitifully little high quality literature on the subject in the English language.

3. China/Cathay has always been an enigma to the Western mindset. eg Western thinkers are still scratching their heads trying to figure out how the current modernization/advancement of China happened so fast … referred to by some as the Chinese Miracle. 18th century European intellectuals wondered how such a sophisticated civilization as China could emerge without an organized religion. Yet in the 16th-17th century an Italian scholar put forward the argument that the ancient Chinese people knew the Western God … perhaps even before the West adopted the notion of a monolithic God.

4. Daoism and Confucianism are the two most significant pillars underpinning Chinese thought, culture and history … peppered with some Buddhist thought.

5. I will use the Deng Xiaopeng approach … crossing the river by feeling the stones.

Here’s the first stone … one statement on each.

i) Confucius persistently refused to speak to his followers about “metaphysical” topics. He insisted on figuring out a way to improve life in the “here and now.” Confucius was pragmatic.

ii) Lao Tzu had no followers to speak of during his lifetime. Lao Tzu couched some of his thinking in political/economic thought … yet most of his thinking/writing is absolutely abstract. Subsequent generations of Daoist thinkers attempted to bring Lao Tzu’s thoughts “down to earth”.

Omnism, of course.

Too many questions, concise version would I feel in my bones achieve the same thing. You know how when one gets to the thing whatever that may be, it is always simple. Otherwise one hasn’t got to the thing has one lol. Pretty sure I could have got my result from one question for example.

Repetition is moronic, you only need to tell people ‘select all which apply’ once.

Thanx btw.