Real men don't eat quiche!

I think we’re missing the point here on this little gender diversion…

Meat eating is evil.

Exploring transexuals gender psychologies is fine and dandy, but there are more important issues.

Saving animals.

Other animals don’t seem to have gender identity problems, dilemmas or politics. They grow up, fight if they must, screw if the opportunity presents, bear young if impregnated, care for them if they’re inescapable. The rest of the time, animals forage, feed, run from predators and fires, sleep, play and clean themselves. No angst; no culinary snobbery.

Alas, they can’t be saved.
We are too numerous, toxic, greedy and vicious.

Hitler helped animal rights, we need a second hitler, but a nicer hitler that wont murder anybody.

You got something against good food?

How does that question relate to the observation that other animals don’t make a pretense of liking things that are in vogue?

It so happens, I’m a passable vegetarian cook and used to have a discerning palate. I can still both produce and appreciate a good quiche.

If it doesn’t relate, then why did you say it?

My statement concerning animals relates to the post regarding animals, to which I was responding.

Your question relates to neither, afaics, which is why I asked how it relates.
However, I’m not interested enough to pursue this line of inquiry.

You seemed to be saying that animals were in some sense above humans due to the list of characteristics that you made. The lack of culinary snobbiness being one of them. I was just asking why you thought that was a bad thing.

If you don’t want to answer that’s ok. Just don’t act like you didn’t say it.

I didn’t see a value judgment, nor recall classifying any of these things about other animals as good or bad, superior or inferior.
Listed what they do, as an illustration of uncomplicated lives, in comparison to humans’.
Earlier, there had been mention of both gender typing and food preference, which are problematic for many humans, but do not seem to trouble other animals.

At no time did I equate lack of ‘culinary snobbery’ on the part of other species, with rejection of ‘good food’ by myself ---- which is what your question seemed to imply.
I wondered how those concepts fitted together. As far as I’m concerned, they do not.

Well, less complexity, whatever you want to call it. I think it’s a little shameful how you’re not standing behind what you said.

Why not just say, “I was wrong”, or, “I’m right because…”?

I’m right, because what I said is both factually correct, however limited in scope, and appropriate to the context in which the observation was offered.
I’m not standing behind your deliberate misinterpretation.
If this is important to you, tfb.

Oh so you’re one of those…

Perhaps is not so much a matter of snobbery as of qualitative discernment. This, of course, depends on the goal in mind, such as nutritive value of food vs pleasure/aesthetic value of food. Ideally, a balance of both would be good, but I see a lot of emphasis on pleasure value of food, at the expense of nutrition. And why do we have to eat? (another can of worms) You can see this heavily pronounced in Western societies: we are surrounded by foods, all kinds of foods, but we are still suffering from malnutrition. So, now, we have the supplement industry taking over, and I think this is just stupid, especially for 1st world countries. Even our foods are nutritionally poor and have to be enriched; we have to add vitamin D to our milk, calcium to our orange juice, niacin to our flour (because we prefer finer texture of flour over nutrition), and iodine to our table salt. And now, with our addiction to supplements, we are adding random nutrients to random foods…why not? Can we not get adequate nutrition through our food? Would that not be ideal? Do I need my yogurt to be fortified with 20g of protein and fiber and lab produced super bacteria? I’m not even touching on additives, flavor enhancers, and potential chemical fertilizers on which these foods were produced. I just came across a loaf of bread last week. One of the ingredients is calcium sulfate. That’s gypsum. FDA seems okay with it, but do I need gypsum in my bread? I mean, I could just chew on my wall if I wanted some. But of course, the bread won’t loose it’s texture that way, and will last much longer. At times, I am thinking there are people in Africa who subsist on drinking buffalo blood and milk that get better nutrition than people in the West that are constantly spending (a lot of) money on nutritionally empty food. Food has become art, even though it has to serve a primary purpose of fueling human body, but that is now being taken over by 37 billion dollar supplement and bullshit marketing industry. Food is now for mainly for pleasure, physical and psychological. Open any tourist brochure for things to do in a any given city and you’ll notice that the biggest section (in some places the only one) is a list of places to eat (and shop) since apparently this is how we prefer to spend our leisure time.

What did you have for dinner?

I guess anything in a pastry case is seen as frou frou, but your friend ate it still at least… would he have been less perturbed if you’d called it a flan?

I’m a frittata fan… less boring than an omelette but healthier than quiche… which I have previously ate and enjoyed many a time… a salmon potato and veggie frittata dinner for me tomorrow.

What is all this hullabaloo about the name of the dish?

The names of things do not affect what they really are.

Beef and cabbage.

Exactly, but they may change their value in the eyes of people. In your case, it triggered a perception of negative value in your friend.
I love eggs and sometimes I make omelet muffins to go with me if I’m on the run and don’t have time to stop to eat. I don’t know if they have some fancy name like le petit muffins d’eoufs or something like that, but I’m happy with just omelet muffins, because that’s what they are to me.

In this case ‘quiche’ is ‘quiche’ in both English and French.

No simplification available.

I grew up eating flans, then the food industry started calling them quiches, so then I started eating quiches… perhaps there’s more profit in quiches than flans.

The last search result, lol.

They’re big in the paleo world, but I have yet to make some, and my ingredients list would be very limited and would therefore make for a boring muffin omelette… especially the lack of cheese, ham, bacon, chorizo etc. part. What do you tend to put in your’s Pan?