what most democrats and republicans have in common

seems to me that most republicans and democrats, or at least those who care enough to argue or complain, seem to have one thing in common: they want their team to win

Plenty of democrats and republicans do not agree on their party’s entire platform, or will care more about specific issues perhaps - yet will take the leap to argue points of their “party”

less common US political parties seem not to care as much about this… libertarian, green etc. their shared goals of exposure, system fairness, etc… seem to be more pressing

what I would like to see in politics (and I frankly think a lot of people would like to see this) is more teams. rather than team democrat and team republican that always win, let’s beef up those team numbers to NFL size… you know, like lets get 32 political parties. we’d have the few really good teams that win more than average, but at least there would be someone else we could actually root for

people argue about third party votes “taking away from the dems” or “taking away from the republicans”… the aim of picking one or the other is “practicality”. I would say that democrats and republicans are not that much different from each other, and that voting for a third party for the purpose of “raising awareness” (even though they likely wont win anytime soon) is a better use of a vote than trying to get your “team to win”.

food for thought

I agree.
Your team analogy is correct and it is based in our animal instincts of herd/pack. Just as an abused human will not betray their abuser if that person is family. We need to work on our loyalty makeup, sort out good and bad.

Politics is a giant football game of idiocy

Where are UCC and Peter?

I figured they would have something to say about this.

Shhhhh.!!!

I want to say it’s Hoteling’s Law that says that in a system with only two options those two options will necessarily converge.

So what?

Still plenty of options on the fringes. It’s fine to say “I want more options” but what do those “more options” look like?

Saying you want alternatives while not providing any is weakness. It’s impotent. Stand for something.

K: I am in the midst of working several days in a row, but I have thought about
this… but I am waiting for a day off… maybe tomorrow…

Kropotkin