What makes genius?

I think there are enough practical issues in the world that deserve our attention that it’s unjust to spend too much time on much else. I’ve already studied philosophy. I know all the shit people consider deep. I know all the different ways people feel about the self and how it interacts with the world. I know a bunch of philosophical problems, why they’re philosophical problems, and a bunch of ways that people have tried to solve them and why they can’t be solved. What am I supposed to do? Write poetry? Sing a slave song about injustice? Light a candle? I’m bored with it. I’d rather see hungry people with soup. That’s something I can do. I’m glad someone who’s more able than me can get us all electricity and heat and medicine. I don’t know why you find this so offensive.

You be glad as you work your angles to keep from being boorish. Take no responsibility for your lack of resourcefulness, all six of you, no scruples needed. Go on with your cool selves. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

You don’t think I’m resourceful?

Only in ways that benefit yourself. Self sacrifice is only an abstract concept to you. yawn

Self sacrifice? What…for it’s own sake? What have I said in this thread to warrant this accusation of selfishness?

I mean I thought you wanted to discuss the problems of energy procurement and I feel like you’re mostly just talking about me.

Have I called you out unjustly? Be cool man, man, woman, man, man, man.

Even Socrates couldn’t sort out what justice really is.

I’m saying, what’s the deal? Why is my standing in the world as you see it more important, or more interesting to you than understanding why the world is as it is?

You are not interesting. You all come to waste time being cool, so do what your good at but don’t confuse cool for real.

Everything is real. It’s just not all actual. So you’re against oil companies. If your best solution is to call me a fake, ignorant, self destructive, profiteering, selfish bore, then I don’t think you’ll make much progress in solving the problem. Good luck though.

I bought sun edison too back in the day. Glad I sold it. Solar panels are bankrupt.

Cool people are the problem. The Earth needs real, actual people who can pull the weight for two, not six who can’t pull the weight for one.

I can buy soup for 6 people.

Isn’t there something about feeding fishy soup in some part of the Bible? Better to teach the hungry to fish than feed them fishy soup?

How many of the homeless have you taught to fish?

I don’t know very much about the bible. So I couldn’t tell you.

Plenty.

Tell us of your plenty, you might inspire others.

When I was in college, I helped a friend clean up a chain of restaurants he owned. 17 or them total. I staffed them with shitty people who had no marketable skills. Years later, a great number of them remain gainfully employed as a result of the training and experience that they were offered. I helped a couple that I know, just a few years ago, make a series of arrangements which afforded them the ability to visit a fertility clinic and so now they have a daughter. I’ve set up custodial accounts for a multitude of friends and acquaintances so that they can understand how compounding can work to ensure better financial futures for their children. I’ve given investment advice to countless people who were scared of the market and didn’t understand that its where true freedom is to be found. I made a series of arrangements that allowed 2 friends of mine to be able to afford medical care where one has cancer and the other ms. I taught a 66 year old woman to drive at some point in the last 2 years. I helped almost a dozen friends who were in varying states of addiction and general shitty living and have seen them move to better places, find ways to be satisfied and live normal lives and overcome those problems by being a better friend that most people have and by utilizing my ability to network to increase utility for all involved. Right now there’s over 100k in food being sold at those restaurants about every week, and they’re mostly managed by kids who I hired when they were 15 and 16 years old. These kids get bonuses, have houses and apartments, savings, etc.

I’m 37, I’ve been around more than you can probably imagine. If you just want me to list ways in which I’ve helped people to help themselves, I could go on for days. But then you’d just say I was bragging, or taking credit where it’s not due. If you could get over your prejudices about me, then you might feel silly making assumptions that I am shallow or selfish or whatever else it is that you’re saying.

I don’t have an answer … though … seems to me the list of social ills that cannot be traced back to the Industrial Revolution would be much much shorter. :slight_smile:

What were the ills before that? 35 year average life span? That must have sucked.