Fire Rooster

My post got lost, but what I was saying is that it seems logical as far as progression of elements is concerned, in theory, but how does it get established in the actual world, other than just being superimposed on it? So, if we have an exceptionally hot year and a water sign was originally assigned to it, does it not automatically switch to fire sign? And if, for example, the last ice age lasted 10,000 years, wouldn’t that whole period be governed by a water element? Shouldn’t element designation follow the event, and not the other way? When did the cycle even start, does it have to be so rigid, and does it have to obey lunar cycles? It would make more sense to assign elements to events, or after the fact, as in postdiction, rather than trying to predict them as if everything follows strict textbook order (though maybe that’s how the system originally came about-through some observation). I do not deny that there is a certain sense of order based on earth’s rotation (change of seasons, etc.) and some things can be forecasted ahead of time, but to superimpose an ideological order, based on principles alone upon the actual world doesn’t seem like a wise undertaking, unless it is a mainly a psychological/political scheme, buffered by justifications/denials (if it doesn’t work) and confirmation biases (if it does). In that way, it would simply be like any other fortune telling. I would look into political environment (power struggles) during which this system came about and how it came to be ingrained into culture. It seems that superstition is powerful psychological force, especially in Asia.

If you really want to do that, I can link you to some online translations of really Chinese works from the early Zhou that jumps back and forth from religious rituals and magic to statecraft as feasible pragmatic tactical and political awareness.

The ideological didn’t start till just prior to the French revolution. It’s a artificial construct central to modern dialogue, but isn’t real as far as we like to unify things.

Really is just cognitive ordering, once technology or social circumstances favor a type that type explodes in new activity. My favorite theorist likes to focus on INTJ businessmen, he thinks more or less prior to modern capitalism and computers we didn’t do shit, and so were under selected sexually as we didn’t sparkle like some others can. Not true at all, history is full of us, Machiavelli, Emperor Augustus, Sun Tzu… but admittedly you go back far enough, we reach a point where our collection of traits couldn’t if been too crucial. I think it wasn’t till the nomadic age that we even got our start, when we spread out of Africa, and only then as navigators, figuring out how to keep everyone fed on the advance.

That isn’t really a wildly primate centric idea, we were tree dwellers, fruits and insects, occasional forest floor scavenging. All our living relatives limit themselves to that, outside a foray with a stick into the occasional termite mound. Our ability to map and plan started here, we’re the best at it, but everyone would have it unconsciously if some are increasingly conscious of it. Note with no written or spoken languages, no real descriptive art, no maps… are maps “ideological”? No and Yes… Like I said, Ideology is a modern invention, we apply it to the past, but maps don’t have this application, even though they are evolving ideas, philosophical presumptions of what is a map, how you use it change constantly. A Periplus isn’t a 17th century ship chart, and that’s not a natal astrology chart, they relate, but are used quite differently, using very different but interrelated modes of thought that use one another, but focus on other things in terms of emphasis. You have GPS, Google Earth, in real time. That’s wildly ideological, but it doesn’t occur to us anymore it is. Just seems outside the realm of intellectual ideas, it no longer has a apparent ordering logic that cascades from one aspect of the mind to the next in choices we have to make and understand. That’s the forfront of technology, seems very real, very accurate, we’ve lost our skepticism, and our insights into the differentia mapping as a broad category is capable of. It’s gonna take some time to bust out of this philosophy of space theorizing. Earlier eras, like Cicero, approached memory, imagination and space as mapping, periplus was a list of distances, no images for a map, and termini- boundaries, was a God of boundry stones, people worshipped Hermes along side this, like Cynics and Vagabonds, living off the cuff and thieving. Brigands lived in the hidden and inaccessible. Characters like Robinhood defied kings or emperors, in accord with macho fortune.

Not in our GPS, yet GPS was designed to handle troops on battlefields using guerilla tactics that emphasize all that. “You are here” isn’t on Sun Tzu’s map of Formlessness, but the ideological guerilla emphasizes this to this day.

That’s mapping. One category, all over the place. Multiple modes of mind go into that, order- geometry- meaning- all different in methods that arrive to each. Different methods stem from different styles of thinking.

Structuralism, power politics, it can’t see thus map, presumes it is already there. Why I don’t advocate such systems.

Is the mathematical logic underpinning I Ching gua a precursor to the binary system?

I think we just followed the animals.

Writing or record keeping would have been essential to it, I think. Also, I don’t think maps can exist without recording motion, or time-keeping. The first time-keeping was celestial (moon, planet movement), later imitated by mechanical gadgets. Chinese astronomy existed before astrology and its function was measuring time and making calendars (probably for agricultural or some other practical purposes). Arabs were also very astronomy based.

Both are based on time keeping - calculating distances with passage of time, and one would still need some sort of record keeping for that. Imagine having to travel across the desert with supplies, do I take 2 days worth or 2 weeks worth of food and water? And to know your current approximate position in the desert you’d just add/subtract the days you were travelling. Periplus would also have to describe locations in terms of time of passage, and GPS also does it, only through satellites. So, basically, with maps, you’re doing time keeping, and that also requires record keeping, or some sort of writing.

The mathematical logic changes era to era, I own a few books on Amazon.com on this issue, recommend looking into it, the free downloads offer a lot of info.

And what happens when you get lost and need to do corrections? Some systems are better than others in doing that.

There are mapping techniques using intuitive mathematics that don’t even have a time varient yet involved, it’s purely coincidental intuition and symmetry.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=X0RAvid6NBw

You likewise can have spacial aspects minus time, or time is played in bizarre manners, such as semi-conscious repetitive loops of eternity where cause and effect isn’t universally synchronized, leading to categorical entropy in some places, not in others. (magsj, you finished that video yet?). A lot if religion conceptions of space, be it the Tablet of Cebes or Dante’s inferno, are without time. It exists now as then, despite the seep of new characters. You would fully expect to see Nixon in Dante’s He’ll, Purgatory, or Heaven… but shit otherwise wouldn’t change.

I might…

If by going to the Chinese buffet is joining in, then maybe.

They’ll probably have firecrackers and freebies galore… or at least free fortune cookies and green tea and plenty of msg to go with… :wink:

I’ll just have to make do with a wander around Soho and a black Lavazza… hold the (processed granulated) sugar. =;

You know, that’s pretty racist of you to stereotype all Asians as likeing those things. I think you should tab that. Only people who want to read your racist crap should be reading it, they can untab it to read your demented worldview.

More a jokey realism than a racist demented worldview… traditional fare is generally served at traditional fairs.

This guy is funny:

youtube.com/watch?v=KbKbrOMHkD0

youtube.com/watch?v=RLkaBKMF6OE (on Chinese)

In Chinese astrology I am a Wood Dragon but I do not take it seriously
It can be interesting to study but beyond that has nothing to offer me

…I simply plan to get into the spirit of it all Surrep… get out, get some fresh air, stretch my legs, and soak in some Chinese culture on the biggest day in their events calendar… and probably bump into a friend or 20 along the way :smiley:

Btw, I’m not sure what element was going on in 1969 and therefore what element I was born under, but a spot of research on Google and I’ll soon know.

I wonder what sign Turd is in Chinese astrology

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Well he is 33…

Fire Tiger

You’re a Fire Tiger if you’re born in 1986. In 2017, you’re 31 years old. Your Totem Number is 3. Your Unlucky Number is 9.*

The Fire Tiger has a seemingly inexhaustible energy. Unpredictable, turbulent, always moving, the Fire Tiger likes to live on a day to day basis.

His freedom is priceless. Besides, he doesn’t like social conventions, in which he doesn’t recognize himself. Charismatic and flamboyant, the Fire Tiger knows perfectly how to effectively convince others that his interests are also theirs. Theatrical and generous, the Fire Tiger has the natural qualities of a leader, being instinctively domineering, brilliant, and always eager to listen to the people he’s responsible for.

The Lovable Taurus Tiger Personality

The addition of the Tiger’s influence to the Western astrological sign of Taurus is a favorable one. The normally cool, collected and deep Taurus personality is charmed and enhanced with vivaciousness from the Tiger. In Chinese Astrology being born in the Year of the Tiger is considered very lucky as his characteristics are mostly strong and attractive. The Taurus Tiger personality is an endearing one that is as warm, sensitive and calm but also excitable and lots of fun. A Taurus Tiger individual is a lovely blend of sensible and silly and usually has a good sense of humor. These lovable characters can mix and get along well with most other personalities.

A Taurus Tiger is usually quite practical, patient and careful in everything they do. These are fairly uncomplicated people who will listen carefully and are able to quickly pick up instructions. They have a lot of commonsense and are generally good at coming up with solutions to problems. The Taurus Tiger is happy in most sorts of jobs and their easygoing and tolerant nature makes them popular with workmates. These individual’s are fairly sociable and generous with their time and hospitality. As friends they can almost always be relied upon to help out at short notice or offer advice or sympathy.

These personalities have good taste and the Taurus Tiger will often have a keen interest in art and design. This attraction to styles will often be reflected in these peoples choices of their clothing or home decor. A Taurus Tiger likes to be adventurous and bold sometimes when it comes to appearances. They are inclined to believe that clothes are a great way of expressing your individuality. Emotionally these people are neither insecure nor overly demanding. They appear to have a fine balance of emotions that makes them warmhearted, openly honest and attentive.

Money is not particularly important to a Taurus Tiger but most of them they tend to have acquired the Tiger’s good luck. They never seem to go short of finances for very long and often win things or stumble upon good opportunities. To relax a Taurus Tiger loves to get close to nature and enjoys anything connected to it. This can range from anything from a few houseplants in the house to going holidaying in the countryside. They have a real appreciation of scenery and wildlife. These people will always appreciate something natural as a gift rather than something manmade.

The weakness is the Taurus Tiger personality does not usually cause them many problems but may be annoying to others. It is the tendency to be a little too predictable and not very enthusiastic about new things. A Taurus Tiger is quite set in their ways and does not really like changes. Their character weakness occurs because the Tiger’s lively spiritedness is not particularly prominent in these personalities. So their level of spontaneity and enthusiasm is varied and the strength of the weakness will depend on each individual. It can be a irritating fault but their sweetness more than makes up for it.

If he was born between January 25 1982 and February 12 1983 then he is a Dog [ element unknown ]

If he was born between February 13 1983 and February 01 1984 then he is a Pig [ element unknown ]

1979 here.