ASASSN-15lh

On the Science Channel documentary series “How The Universe Works”, they aired an episode that they call “Stars That Kill”.

In particular, they focused a segment on this star:

scientificamerican.com/arti … ever-seen/

If in fact it was even a supernova at all:

natureworldnews.com/articles … -found.htm

So, you tell me: how does the human mind even begin to wrap itself around something like this? According to one of the commentators, the destructive power of this single supernova [if that is what it is], was staggering almost beyond grasping. It was estimated that millions of planets were simply vaporized. Including many worlds [it was suggested] that contained civilizations much like our own.

Now, think about this in the context of religion and God. It makes the Great Flood from the Bible appear to be but a teeny, tiny drop in the bucket when it comes to the destruction of worlds.

And that’s not even counting “rogue stars” and “gamma ray bursts”.

God may well work in mysterious ways, but now we have to include enormously destructive events like this in His narrative.

They named something bright out in space in hopes of securing more grant funding?

You tell me.

Really, is that all we need to wrap our minds around here?

I was aiming in an entirely different direction. :wink:

Well if the god of the bible exists, and if there are on average only1 or 2 planets with humanoid/intelligent life on them [per galaxy], then maybe this big explosion would have missed any of them. God would know if such an event were to occur and where.

Leads to a deeper question for me; what if we are just supposed to live once. Then after that it doesn’t matter if all life on earth or a given similar planet, ceases to exist. In fact it may be detrimental for species to last too long, as that would mean too many souls would be created, or worse, that existing souls would be reborn endlessly/too many times.

Make em’ and then pop em’ might just be the best way to go!

ROFL

They don’t even know if it was a supernova. They don’t know if even a single bacteria was killed in the ‘event’.

Maybe God was just creating another Garden of Eden on another Earth-like planet. :evilfun:

Sure, maybe.

Here’s the video: sciencechannelgo.com/how-th … that-kill/

You tell me where God – the one that exists in your head – fits in here.

Go ahead, consult with James S. Saint first.

Requires me to “Sign In” to watch. And I don’t have an account.

Will of God in practice? O:)

Asked me too. But that merely required me to click on xfinity as my “home provider”.

If you can’t view the video, I’m truly sorry. It was one of the most fascinating episodes in this series.

Nothing. Blank screen. C’est la vie.

The screen was blank for me about 10 seconds too. Try waiting a bit longer