The Reasonable Standard

Shut up dummy. Go read a comic book or something.

Iambig, not everything that can be known can be taught. That’s why some people are smarter than others.

Note to others:

That is Mr Reasonable’s response to this:
[b]

Sure, you can lie. Of course the Kantians might object.

Yes, that’s certainly one way to look at it. You can watch the news from day to day and argue that philosophy has no role to play in it. That when folks like Plato and Aristotle explored, among other things, ethics and politics it all revolved formally/epistemologically around philosophical realism.

But then…

Note to others:

A Satyr by any other name? :wink:

When have I ever argued otherwise? Instead, my argument pertains more “for all practical purposes” to the “use value” and the “exchange value” of intellectual contraptions like this out in the world that we interact in. And, in particular, when those interactions come into conflict.

Again, you seem convinced that the role of the philosophers here is to just punt everything to the politicians.

And yet even here I agree. It’s just that some folks embrace a particular moral and political narrative/agenda that revolves around one or another rendition of “right makes might”. And while they may not justify being “one of us” by way of a philosophical argument, they still huff and puff at those they deem “one of them” as though there really was a way in which to differentiate right from wrong, good from evil.

Some do this “naturally” by way of this:

1] I am rational
2] I am rational because I have access to the ideal
3] I have access to the ideal because I grasp the one true nature of the objective world
4] I grasp the one true nature of the objective world because I am rational

But not you? You just somehow, what, “intuit” that you’re right?

On the contrary, my reaction here is that this is, well, reasonable. I merely root it instead in the manner in which I construe the meaning of dasein, conflicting goods and political economy.

And then to folks like you I try to probe what unfolds “in your head” when your own values come into conflict with others. How are you not entangled in my dilemma?

After all, perhaps one day I will come upon a frame of mind that allows me to yank myself up out of it.

Again:

How do you claim that the world is when your own values do come in conflict with others? How are reasonable men and women able to make a proper distinction here when it comes to rewarding or punishing particular behaviors?

Cite some examples.[/b]

And just when I thought we were actually going to exchange some philosophy!

Or, sure, what some of us call philosophy.

Is that all? You’ve become famous here for having the thickest skull and the most 1 track mind that anyone has ever seen. Are you proud of that?

I take it then that our exchange is kaput? :laughing:

pretty awesome way of proving things Fixed Cross has.

The Reasonable Standard stands proven as superior to Iambiguous.

I think I’ve specifically stated to you on multiple occasions that I’m not interested in any conversation with you at all. So while I wish it was “kaput”, it’s probably not because you’re a weird stalker who insists on trying to force people to talk to you when they don’t want to. I don’t think it’ll be long before you’re back in another thread, copying and pasting the same thing. Seeking approval from your invisible audience, and with your fingers in your ears.

I’ll take that as a “yes”.

Okay, I’ll bite. What has Fixed Cross proved?

And if he won’t come here, ask him if he might be willing to exchange points of view at his own forum.

Unless, perhaps, that might tempt him to quit there as well. :wink:

By the way, what does astrology have to say about Scientology?

gotta come up with a logo now

Was I right? Is he still trolling around with the whole copy and paste bit with his fingers in his ears?

You should try copying and pasting with your fingers in your ears. In other words, using your elbows.

By the way, you are still right at the top of Tyler Durden’s shit list.

And, finally, just to reassure you, you are still the man every woman here wants and almost every man here wants to be.

I’m still the only exception.

:banana-fingers: :banana-gotpics: :banana-guitar: :banana-jumprope: :banana-linedance: :banana-ninja: :banana-rainbow: :banana-rock: :banana-skier: :banana-tux: :banana-wrench: :banana-stoner: :banana-angel: :banana-blonde: :banana-dreads:

So you are a qualia in this instance? how self-revering of you.

Wow, I almost forgot: this is the actual philosophy forum here.

Let me think on that and get back to you. :wink:

Consistency is hard to beat, but not al consistency goes somewhere.
We all are compulsive in our consistencies, some more than others, but we all have our straight, unbreakable lines, which if they are bent or broken in some event, release tremendous amounts of energy to reshape out life.

I just googled Tyler Durden and it’s a character from a Brad Pitt movie. Weird.

I asked him to elaborate and he sent me here: youtu.be/mSe_t8HBDA4?t=56s

He sees you basically as the hard-wired personification of mass consumption.

And Marla basically agrees.

Not only that but he garnered all this from your posts here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=179879

Hey man, this is a philosophy forum. Why are you appealing to pop culture references?

Because I can?

But can you?