What Of Your Essence?

:confusion-seeingstars:

joyful » I’m pretty positive by nature, goofy and ecstatic, and it shows when I feel comfortable
sensitive » in the social and psychological sense, I pick up on a lot and am acutely aware
a total aesthete » I love the subtleties of experience and art
competitive » thrown into any game or challenge, I’ll almost always rise to the occasion
perfectionist » high standards and am loathe to make mistakes
guarded » discouragement and disappointment raise a lot of caution and barriers within me
curious » I was a very curious kid, but I think I have become jaded with age, school, and social conditioning

For the OP, I interpret essence as “identity.” I don’t believe in a metaphysical soul, but I am keenly aware of spirit.
Spirit and soul are meaningful to me as abstractions, signifying an essential form to things and times.
I don’t think one should put too much stock in defining his nature once and for all. One’s nature (spirit) is proved in the arc of her life.

Essential Emerson:

Plus, as I see it, a person’s nature is really bound up with his/her body. This is something I’ve said before:

The body is not just a vehicle. It is what makes perception - and all of experience - possible. We do not become who we are as isolated whisps of consciousness. We are not merely attached to or hosted by the body, but the body is in fact part of what makes us -us. You are you because of your biological idiosyncrasies, because you are sighted, because you have a nervous system, because of the way you feel pleasure, and of course because of the way you feel pain. One does not enter the body like a corporeal suit. The complex and spirited consciousness emerges necessarily as one embodied. The soul, or the spirit, exists in the momentum of a person and his impact.

fuse wrote

Fine tuned by the arc, yes. We are looking at this from oceans apart. I really appreciate your views, a lovely read. Thank you.

A debate would be apropos if you stick around.

I’ll be around, what do you want to debate?

fuse wrote

One lifetime of a spirit vs. the eternal soul

fuse wrote

Hosted vs. not
soul is epicenter of experience vs. body is the epicenter of experience

I have yet to formally debate anything. Ah ha, welcome guinea pig! :mrgreen:
Comments…concerns? :smiley:

fuse wrote

While this sentence above may mean ‘in this lifetime’, what is interesting is the momentum of a person in relation to other people and how can that be measured? The momentum of a person is very relevant in terms of all of their assets and how they use them, whether simply now or into infinity.

See, here you are asking the old question, of differentiating the old triad, Being, essence, existence, which was laid down by Arab philosophers, where the essence, is layered meaning for the Soul. Aristoteles took it up in De Anima, it is a prefigured notion, just as self knowledge later, a developmental successor to a more ‘scientific way’ of looking at it.

You are asking the question of requiring levels of knowledge to correlate with each other, in this case old textual ideas such as the soul, with developing ‘scientific’ ways of thinking about them.

We may be much more alike then different, except in contexts where it is more advantageous to differentiate.

It is kind of like a Moebious Strip, where you’d never know where the essential and the real meet, because it’s hard to see it unless the ends are separated in the first place.

It only means “in this lifetime” by default since I’m not aware of any additional lifetimes. The question of lasting influence is still very interesting to me. A person’s influence is broadly the continued affect he/she has on others, even after death, like an afterimage: an impression of a vivid sensation (especially a visual image) retained after the stimulus has ceased.

You had to go there with a Mobius Strip, didn’t you? Now why does the old triad have to be differentiated? One is not enough? Once I recover from this headache caused by Mobius, onto De Anima by Aristotle.

Is this to be debated? :mrgreen:

Aristotle had the complexity of the soul all wrong.

I’d rather sidestep the pomp and circumstance of a formal debate, but if you want to make a bold argument in a new thread - I’ll happily counter at will.

fuse wrote

Okay. Keep your eyes peeled. :astonished: :mrgreen:

My Essence?

Smiling on the premise of reality.

MP,

Why do you keep trying to smell for blood in the water?

I’m like the ocean - ever changing, ebbing, flowing, wild, serene, much deep within and much observable above me. I contain much and much contains me. lol

An ad continuum of Fluidity!

Is that an essence or an attitude?

Don’t our attitudes define our essence?

Gibralter,

An essence is in stone so to speak, but I for one know that it can be tempered, just don’t ask how.