So, what books are you reading right now?

I wrote a book myself, three years ago, called The Representative; since then I haven’t read fiction, although I did read some Asimov shortly after finishing writing my own book.

I am going through Shantaram right now -quite an interesting read

It is about music, precisely said: about mucic history. Right?

Re reading Arthur Miller’s Cruciable, well actually, I bought it, and looking for time to start it. It is time, that is the killer.

Time flows. It isn’t a killer but if we’re not prepared to jump on that wave and be in harmony with the ocean of our life, we lose out.
Time doesn’t kill. Time creates. #-o

Finally getting round to reading Machiavelli The Prince, after buying it a couple of years back.

I loved his In Memoriam. Here’s my favorite poem in that work:

I trust I have not wasted breath:
I think we are not wholly brain,
Magnetic mockeries; not in vain,
Like Paul with beasts, I fought with Death;
Not only cunning casts in clay:
Let Science prove we are, and then
What matters Science unto men,
At least to me? I would not stay.
Let him, the wiser man who springs
Hereafter, up from childhood shape
His action like the greater ape,
But I was born to other things.

• Tennyson

Wow this thread has died down.

I just wrote a book and Now I’m going to read Thomas Reid’s Inquiry into the Human Mind. I’ve read it before but I didn’t really do a critical study. I want to do this for my own book which is kind of a philosophical odyssey. For pleasure I just read Name of the WInd. It’s a fantasy novel. It was brilliant. :slight_smile:

I attempted to write my own version of Sophie’s World but part one didn’t get good enough reviews for me to make part two even though I was 30% done with it. :frowning: I still play with my book every once in a while. I’ve moved on to a sci fi dystopian now. Here’s my project:

https://www.researchgate.net/project/The-Storm-and-Stress

If you see any chapters you might be interested in I could send you them.

The Great Courses

The Story of Human Language
Parts 2 and 3
Professor John McWhorter

Unfortunately I have to wait for Part I but I shall begin with 2 and 3.

I so look forward to them.

Hey! You too, huh? Those are great courses, aren’t they (hence the name :laughing:)? They really do pick professors who know how to keep an audience gripped.

Right now, I’m working my way through a bit of Roman history:

Famous Romans

Fall of the Pagans and the Origins of Medieval Christianity

The World of Byzantium

^ Really interesting stuff. I’m currently obsessed with emperor Constantine.

Let us know if they’re worth it.

I love to romance my own shadow. I come to know myself better. Just me and my shadow…da da da da da da da…

Strange Angel by George pendle the story of , the co founder of the Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, .ca Johns Parsons.

Here is a verse he wrote, (an excerpt) :

I height Don Quixote, I live in peyote,
marijuana, morphine and cocaine,
I never knew sadness, but only a madness
That burns at the heart and the brain.

ca.1952

Anne Rice’s, The Vampire Armand. Whenever I read Anne’s works, I feel as though I’m overindulging on beautiful writing.

A natural history of language, The Power Of Babel, by John McWorter

Stalin : Robert Service

Yes although I never finished it as I started something else instead

However he is absolutely right about it being the best year for music

I like John McWhorter. Is that worth reading?

To be honest, it’s my next read. It’s coming by UPS. Should’ve taken note of the “right now” part of the title.

I like the idea of languages evolving and going extinct, which this book promises to be about. I also like the idea behind the towel of babel, one language for everybody, so I picked this book based on that. If that gives you an idea?

Have you read other books by him? I think he’s an associate professor in linguistics.

This book has me convinced Shakespeare will be forgotten sooner than later.