Haven't slept for more than two hours in last few days

I doubt they had taxation in that way in Neolithic Britain. They did, however, have a very sophisticated knowledge of subjects such as astronomy.

Did you now?

:laughing:

You crack me up Iam… you really do.

:slight_smile:

I wouldn’t call the small underground observatories scattered around the isles a sophisticated knowledge.

(Thunder woke me up, can’t sleep)

I can’t recall what they are called, but the little Neolithic to Bronze Age short tunnels… they figured out if you sat in one, a tunneling effect with light would occur, allowing you to see more light, and therefore increased magnification of one spot.

Great for timing a exact approach of one star to a fixed observational point, but I wouldn’t call that advanced astronomy.

I will give you a basic example of what advanced astronomy looked like.

The earliest Assyrian and Babylonian philosophers were astronomers (I will explain the terminology later, I simply can’t recall it, starts with an I)… they would lay on their backs, with straight plains of wood above them, and would just watch the stars pass.

They had small round clay tablets, a line on the stick above represented a line on the tablet, and they would simply transcribe the movement of the stars to this, looking at the distance of the stars on the edge of the stick above.

This allowed them to create remarkably accurate starmaps, in clay, some which we still have. They even did pretty advance work calculating and explaining the trajectory of planetary movement, which us hard as hell to express mathematically, I have a thread on this site somewhere on both the philosophers being philosophers, as well as how they observed the stars somewhere on the sight.

Iapetas? Iapetus? Ah… both words probably jibberish popping in my head. They sell pretty decent fascimilies of they star maps.

Germans had something far more rudimentry, small disks with a few stars on them.

members.westnet.com.au/gary-davi … e11-9.html

Ohhh… just found this quote I made from wiki in a unfinished Diocles thread I was making, not finished for reasons I don’t know why, deals with our topic:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=189657&p=2586137&hilit=Babylonian+philosopher#p2586137

Where are those two stinking threads already?

I was fairly certain I posted both on this site.

Damn frustrating.

Well, ok, and while I certainly don’t claim to be an expert on astronomy, what I can say is that the megalith builders of the British Isles were building their circles, aligned to all sorts of different celestial events, about two milliennia before Pytheas and Greek astronomy.

I’m not talking about the circles, your country has actual underground observatories. They look like tombs, were mistaken as granieries. Tab lost his virginity in one.

I can’t recall their name. Gotta go look them up.

biztekmojo.com/002342/ancien … telescopes

Maybe cromlechs?

bbc.com/news/uk-wales-22109262

Not the circles, not like Stonehenge, the long underground passages. I know you got a fixation on the circular passages, I’m not talking about those.

A cromlech is a chambered tomb, usually a group of stones with a larger, flat stone on top. Not a circle, and in fact they predate all known circles by about a millennium, sometimes two millennia in the very earliest examples. I told you about the one where I found some old coins in a small hole in one of the stones.

See, the problem is, when I type in the term, about 1/3rd of the images are what I’m looking for, two thirds are not, and nothing is labeled right.

It is a mostly underground tunnel, not a Stonehenge, not a tomb as far as anyone has figured out, not a grainery as once thought. It is roofed.

Be a lot easier if the spelling of pre-angle Saxon sites in the UK had easier spellings. I can’t figure out these Welsh like crazy words.

I know a lot more about the fortifications used in England, especially during the Roman and Alfred the Great era, and Norman times, but I know little in terminology or use of these kinds of structures period, outside a half dozen documentaries I’ve seen over the years.

It would be awesome if you could see, I could just give a pic for confirmation.

There are passage graves, but they are definitely tombs as bones have been found. These are larger than the cromlechs, within which, as you say, no bodies have usually been discovered, but the supposition that they must be tombs is very old. All these structures are roofed and at least partially underground.

Might be cromlechs, the name tingles every time I see it.

I have a rather flat, tone,death voice, as I rarely talk, and when I do, it is usually softly. I honestly can’t imagine trying to say that word out load and expect a computer to accurately understand what I said so as to spell it correctly. I would just break under the pain of having to say all those weird Welsh like terms.

I know some of Welsh history, but would never verbally discuss it, for that reason. I haven’t the slightest clue how those words are to be pronounced.

I found with middle to early modern English, I can’t always read it, but if I say it out loud, it sometimes makes sense, but Dutch, Irish, and Scottish words… I just hate those Saxons for dragging ass and stopping their westward advance. Wish the place names were simpler. I honestly have a much easier time with Chinese sites than I do with English sites. Once Alfred’s burgs come about, I start getting tongue tied. It is a logical system, but the names for places are rude and obscene.

You think you’ve got it bad? Imagine how my screen reader reads a word like Llanfair­pwllgwyngyll­gogery­chwyrn­drobwll­llan­tysilio­gogo­goch.

It is odd how English comes from the british isles, but those languages are the hardest for me to grasp.

Half the reason I want to go to England and walk around honestly is just to get the names right. I’m honestly not too inspired by the culture or “foreigness” of the locals… I’m just one of those people who can’t figure our how to pronounce a word unless he hears it first. I had a bad speech problem growing up, I got over it, but learned I was pronouncing names and philosophical terms wrong… so whenever I hosted a philosophy ground discussion, I would spend a few hours before hand showing up, watching videos discussing the topic, less for the information and much more for the pronunciation.

Chinese and Korean is easy given the number of historical dramas… especially Romance of the Three Kingdoms… the fansubs hit the notes of the opera to the english words exactly, and if you just say it at a certain pitch, the tones come out right mostly. I have a lot more confidence saying a Chinese place name. But british ones, I gotta look it up, and hear it repeated. I like a lot of Irish sagas, but you will never hear a beep out of my mouth about them. Anyone speaking Gaelic would just ask me not to try to pronounce it.

It’s always best to hear a native saying something. And there are regional variations too. For example, Newcastle and Carlisle, to name just two, are pronounced differently by the locals than in the standard BBC pronunciation. I think Welsh is really cool though, and have been to north Wales many, many times, where Welsh is still the first language.

You know what… I watch a lot of Doctor Who. Had a bit of a crush on Clara, but couldn’t understand a damn thing she said in the 50th anniversary special. I could make the individual words out, but the pattern was bizarre.

Since I deal with a wide range of history… for example I’m interested in all Greek history, but as a philosopher only care about Ancient to Byzantine Greek (hence Koine)… I don’t want to pronounce it like a modern Greek… but pronouncing it like in ancient times, not as appealing. I just want to say it in as close to a standard American accent as I can, as the word is commonly said in philosophy circles. It always bother me when I see someone talk in English change their accent to speak another language. I gotta do it for Chinese, but not as much for Japanese (I did have one semester of Japanese).

I’m not certain I can come back and say the names with a American accent.

Clara, that is, Jenna Coleman, has a Lancashire accent. It’s not especially strong though and I’m surprised you found the pattern bizarre. I do find though, and this isn’t intended as a criticism, that the American accent is fairly monotone, so to you, British accents must sound all over the place, in pitch and tone, that is.

Some I can’t understand. Sounds like someone in Boston talking through a snorkle.

And I knew the location too… yeah, I as a INTJ fall for FPs rather easily. I try not to. I just see her and go mushy. I’m a deeply disturbed MSN, saw all sorts of hate articles by women saying they hate men who are attracted to her, as a one dimensional character.

Not sure I fully understand all those abbreviations… But I do happen to know that Jenna Coleman is playing Queen Victoria in a TV series soon.