Modern psychology - a joke?

If all you want is an honest psychologist, Magnus, you may just get one who is completely abrupt and almost abusive.

You might actually want one who shows he cares and is interested by paying attention, who allows his patient or client to speak, doesn’t interrupt and doesn’t tell him how he really “should” think and “should” feel, and how he “should” live his life.

You might also want want who is quite aware of how transference works between psychologist and patient and vica versa and who is balanced enough and understanding enough to juggle that knowledge and experience between the two and help the patient to work through it.

What’s the difference between psychiatry and state reeducation exactly in behavioural modifications of entire populations?

Do your research and you will find out the penis didn’t start with modern psychology.

But what to do with it did.

Oops… Freudian slip (I meant to say joke).

Autsider,

That’s not actually a logical example now, is it? Can you see Sweden doing that?
If you DO NOT disregard their right to do that and do not fight to stop them, THEN you may be antisocial and have a personality disorder. Right reason doesn’t disappear because some because irrational.

Do we disregard our own moral and ethical codes because the law says that it now okay to do this or that?
Take abortion for example. According to the law in this country, at one time it was illegal and then it became legal.
Aside from seeing things differently/perspective changing as a result of what we’ve experienced and what others have experienced, we may have a different outlook on abortion. But what we do is based on what is right and ethical for us - not necessarily, according to the law…if that made any sense to you.

Modern psychology is able to see the irrational mind but I don’t think or intuit that it agrees with or accepts irrational behavior or irrational laws as the norm or optimal behavior…simply based on absurd law (your example).

Modern psychology is no more a joke than is physics or astronomy, et cetera. It’s an exploration of those far-away galaxies, black holes, dark matter, et cetera, within the mind. Just as man journeys through the universe, psychology journeys where no man has gone before into the minds of Man in order to discover and explain Man to Man. The Mind is just as much the hidden frontier as is the universe.
One might say that psychology is like a far-reaching telescope to see what is revealed and to reveal what is hidden ~~ not unlike philosophy for that matter.
How can anything which seeks out the truth and reality of a hidden landscape and tries to explain it be a joke?

A problem with both philosophy and psychology develops when people start thinking of them as sciences (which they are not).

Possibly not philosophy but psychology yes can be viewed as a science.

a branch of knowledge or study dealing with a body of facts or truths systematically arranged and showing the operation of general laws:
the mathematical sciences.
systematic knowledge of the physical or material world gained through observation and experimentation.
any of the branches of natural or physical science.
systematized knowledge in general.
knowledge, as of facts or principles; knowledge gained by systematic study.
a particular branch of knowledge.
skill, especially reflecting a precise application of facts or principles; proficiency.

The human brain and the mind by extension ARE part of the physical world and can be seen as a science.
psychologytoday.com/blog/un … e-argument

In a sense.

But it is.

In the 50’s they did lobotomies on people…surgically removing parts of the brain…the equivalent of medieval bloodletting. No scientific evidence behind it or evidence that it actually helped anything. How is that not a joke?

In the 60’s they said homosexuality was a disease…Homosexuality is not a disease, it occurs in nature whenever a species is sexually stratified…Not to mention, the only chance to turn someone straight is by testosterone…they didn’t even try that…because they are idiots…Again, another one of their jokes…

They made up another disorder called “anti-authority disorder” If anyone fears or dislikes authority…then they are mentally ill…another joke of theirs…

They tried to stop people from being transgender by giving them shock therapy…How would that even work? Where is the correlation that getting electrocuted will change your gender identity? Again, another one of their sick jokes…

Now they added coffee drinking as a mental illness too…

Depends on what part of they anatomy they attached the probes to.

I would say electrocuting their balls would make them more transgender, not less.

Yes, then there is a correlation between shock therapy and gender identity!

No, because the shock therapy I was talking about doesn’t shock their balls.

Have you ever witnessed or participated in shock therapy?

Yes, and I was glad they did it. This one asshole girl I met in the mental hospital was very rude to me, when I was trying to be nice to her.
Next day, they gave her shock therapy. I laughed all night.
I could hear her screams through the walls, and each time I did, I burst out laughing.

I also know a transgender who was given shock therapy. The shock therapy didn’t do anything, (Why would it?)

Are you saying she was screaming while they gave her shock therapy?

Yes. Why wouldn’t she be?

What year/decade was it?

Many years ago.