The Philosophers

I enjoyed this. You should make more videos of this nature.

You should come visit NY sometime, so we can spar each other :wink:

Yo! You must have landed on your feet.
Are you there permanently? If so, I’ll most definitely take you up on that.

One of the best parts of Montreal is that its type of visual grime reminds of New York, and also its peoples laissez-faire attitude.

I appreciate the feedback, thanks. I had no real idea what this video amounted to outside that it made me smile when I found it yesterday. Glad to hear that someone who isnt a total basketcase watched it and actually enjoyed it too.

Erik,

Jakob may just be calling you half a basket case. Are you ok with that? :mrgreen:

Reality is overrated…

I dont think there is anyone on this site who isn’t at least 20/25 percent basketcase.
You can be 44 percent basketcase and still be perfectly functional. This is because we live in a liberal system.
in nazi Germany, you had to be 80 percent basketcase minimum to function.

The nutter/nutjob ratio index follows different protocol and a nonlinear scale, so percentages dont work with nutters; it’s rather types of nutter. Like peanutbutter-nutter is nuts, but only for nutbutter, so he is not comparable in equal terms to a gun-nut anymore than to a non-nut.

There are about 37 categories of socially and mentally and emotionally maladaptatedness-distress carriers, of which the following are used most frequently.

nutjob
crazy person
fool
basketcase
weirdo
problem child
crayshitter
batshitter
leipo
interesting person for emosubs
attentioncentrist
dramaqueen/king/knight
idiot
eccentric
artist

Why?

Boredom is the default state.

Depending upon the observer and his/her circumstance, it would be more accurate to say the modern world is boring, not reality in itself, i would say the boredom comes from being continuously exposed to the modern world and restrained by it, immediately and collaterally, and it has left the mind incapable of extending further out of the constraints.

I find myself in agreement with this.

Boredom is the quintessential quality of the modern man. This is the result of a protected society.
I found a decent article on the subject.

The History of Boredom

However, boredom is not the initial condition of human life overall. It is very well possible, if one does not believe in society’s responsibility to engage, to ward off boredom by the qualities of ones own soul. For example, thought, in alchemical sense (using great force and heat to weld together concepts, to create logical and semantic bridges) prevents boredom.

Many other things a human can undertake take precedence over boredom, at least in the philosophical type, who admittedly is a bit unfairly blessed.

“Is not life a hundred times too short for us - to bore ourselves?” - N

That’s partly because up until very recently, he says, psychologists weren’t working with a very good definition of boredom. Eastwood is one of a growing number of researchers dedicated to understanding boredom; in the October 2012 issue of Perspectives on Psychological Science, Eastwood and his colleagues published “The Unengaged Mind”, an attempt to define boredom.

The paper claimed that boredom is a state in which the sufferer wants to be engaged in some meaningful activity but cannot, characterized by both restlessness and lethargy. With that in mind, Eastwood says that it all is essentially an issue of attention. “Which kind of makes sense, because attention is the process by which we connect with the world,” explains Eastwood

This is more or less, the way I view boredom. I think that part of it is that the person doesn’t even realize that he/she wants to be engaged in some meaningful activity. I think that at times some kind of mental block occurs where the person is almost paralyzed in a sense mentally and emotionally not knowing in which direction to go - how to re-direct or direct that pent-up energy.

Is not life a hundred times too short for us - to bore ourselves?" - N

I agree with Nietzche? here. Some individuals need to find outlets, hobbies, intellectual endeavors. After all, like he said, look at life and what there is to it/ How can we be bored. So, perhaps it is about finding that path to direct our energy, and not let it lie stagnant.

Read more: smithsonianmag.com/science-n … 1Kt5G18.99
Give the gift of Smithsonian magazine for only $12! bit.ly/1cGUiGv
Follow us: @SmithsonianMag on Twitter

One of the main responses to boredom is sex. You see it in the animal kingdom too, but especially among humans. In this society of instant delivery of powerful stimulation, this state, boredom, creeps up everywhere, and opens the door to total sexual abandon, either physically or imaginatively - and to other forms of violence.

“Ledigheid is des Duivels oorkussen” - ‘emptiness (of purpose) is the pillow of the Devil’

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuXsrDs8zzM[/youtube]

^Where did you get that image of the cow at 1:02?

From Lyssa.

The music is by the poster that now goes by the name FloodAndHeart.

That was a very select audience.

As soon as I saw the view count climb a bit I realized I needed to take it down immediately. At this point, as a mere intro carrying the name of an organization that only in its name speaks directly to my values, it will not cause Philosophers any benefits.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8pK3yJaD0Y[/youtube]

A spontaneous music
for ILP

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HC6HVXPNWkA[/youtube]

Nice spanish guitar, Fixed.

Reminds me of that scene from The Punisher:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBIogTTYsN4[/youtube]

Thanks Erik.