Why Isn't The Belief In God Considered Mental Illness?

A bit vague. I need you to give me some examples.

It was actually religion that hindered all of that so…

You’re not helping your case here.

It was religionists that thought it was flat… #-o

White males are “evil” and therefore are obviously the spawn of the devil.

Science is equally dogmatic, yes. We are however discussing traditional religion here, namely how a cosmic sky daddy rules the entire universe.

Choice devoid of free will appears to me to be an oxymoron.

Free will is just the short version of : You are free to choose what you will of these choices before you.

But are YOU actually getting to choose as who you were shaped into?

If a person gets beat all their life then has to choose between doing it themselves or not, what would they choose? It depends on the extremity of their getting beaten, genes, and other external influences that shaped them.

You are not just a blank slate choosing freely, you choose certain options due to being you, who you were shaped into.

Free will is choice without restriction not simply choice alone. You may choose something, but it isn’t freedom of choosing, your choice may be a direct result from anything that happened in the past.

The past restricts everyone from certain things due to them being who they are. It has to do with environment and biology. Those things act as restrictions that do not allow one to be a blank slate who shapes themselves.

To say we all have the ability to shape ourselves from beginning wouldn’t make sense or even be possible.

But you aren’t free to choose because the past has influence over the choices you make.

One can make a choice, but it isn’t free choice. Not like being a blank slate.

Yes, the will is not free but relatively free.

But, that is part of it. Your choices are limited but, you are free to choose what your will dictates. Heritage is part of your will. It gives you choices. A person or animal that has more diverse heritage has more choices. Inbred or linebred has less. But there is still the freedom to choose from your limits.

Only morons think that “free-will” is referring to freedom from causality. It refers only to the presence of opportunities that are void of too seriously detrimental consequences.

And geniuses think there is no darkness in space…

And how can your will dictate free-like when it’s a product of being shaped by surroundings? Are desires not shaped by genes/influence?

If heritage is a part of it, how could it be a free will. That’s genes and influence determining ones choices and decision making skills, desire and who they are.

Let me add:
You are not being forced by a human, owner, boss, etc. Only you are the one to direct your choices. This is part of the free will phrase. Nature directs choice but when no one orders you it is considered free will.

I’m not for hard determinism. Of course our ability to make choices lies within the parameters of genetics and environment. There is no blank slate; however, encumbered by deterministic forces, we can still make choices that sometimes defy these forces. Thus we evolve.

But freedom is when you get all aspects as choices and without restrictions, we don’t because of personal influences and shaping.

I am not arguing that we do not get choice, I am arguing that that choice is not free. It cannot be defined as free because it has already been restricted and manipulated. That is the opposite of what freedom is.

Ex: beat a dog everyday, what will it know? Violence, is that it’s choice on how to live? I don’t think so. The ripple effect is great and a powerful aspect to everything there is, it is like a drop of water creating waves in an ocean, all by itself.

A human getting beat everday, grows up semi-psychopathic, one day the person has to make a choice involving others lives, due to the extremity of the past life this person has had, they make the choice, the only choice they know to kill the others for some reason where they felt the need to.

How is that free choice?
It’s like a conscious piece of clay, we play and shape the clay into what we want, perhaps a cup, the piece of clay has two choices: To be a decoration or a drinking cup. But what if the clay wanted a different choice, say… To be used as a picture frame, it wouldn’t be possible due to the fact that others already shaped it into what it is.

True freedom has no restrictions, and all choice are open for debate/choice. That’s just what freedom is.

Perhaps there is a tiny freedom, between limited choice, but I argue that there may be a reason, even a tiny reason to every choice, which reason could come from influence/genes and restricts choice, without a person even knowing. People don’t have to be ordered when they are already shaped into what society wants Kris. Don’t you see? It’s a farm and we are played pieces in it. Just like the cow being milked. Force brings rebellion from people, shaping them with a system does not. So do we really get a free choice? You may say you get to choose what you want for breakfast in the morning, but do you? Is there a reason behind why you want what you want? Tired of eating something else? Body craving something? Taste buds prefer what you desire? Desire is just another influence/genetic affected piece.

youtu.be/Xbp6umQT58A this kind of shows the illusion of freedom.

Those definitions seem to counter your argument.

No they don’t considering the fact that It says “unrestricted” use… Past living is a restriction, along with genetics. There is hindrance and constraint, by being shaped while growing.

It shows “we do have some freedom of choice” but that is just an example without any philosophical thoughts regarding the restraints.

Antonym - restriction. Opposite of freedom.