Why Isn't The Belief In God Considered Mental Illness?

Every “theory” is a proposed god (a law of nature): “My theory is that XXX has absolute control/authority over the situation of YYY”.

A “false god” is an incorrect theory. Those who worship Relativity are in fact worshiping a “false god”. Those who worship Newtonian physics theories worship false gods. Those who worship quantum physics are just devils and mindless babblers.

The theory that there is but one “true god” is debatable considering semantics, but the idea was that none of the theories are absolutely true, instead there can only be one law that can never, ever be broken by anything (aka “God”). Hence, “Don’t worship idol theories”.

Everyone has the potential for being a believer in God. Some choose not to believe.
Free will? Determinism? Neither option applied to choice amounts to insanity.
Nothing to do with the physical? My God experience was a jolt of awakening that was physical, mental and spiritual.
Any division of my human trinity amounts to insanity,

Insanity is the inability to maintain a balance of influence on mind of the MBS interactive reality. It has nothing to do with belief in God.

Will isn’t free.

Whose will isn’t free and why not?
Would an atheist admit that he had no choice in becoming an atheist? That the cards are stacked by DNA and environment does not rule out the possibility of choice among belief systems. Otherwise there would be no change. We could only believe what we were programmed to believe.

At Dictionary.com, worship means this:

1. reverent honor and homage paid to God or a sacred personage, or to any object regarded as sacred.
  2. formal or ceremonious rendering of such honor and homage: They attended worship this morning.
  3. adoring reverence or regard: excessive worship of business success.
  4. the object of adoring reverence or regard.

Do you really think that people “worship” theories? I don’t think I have ever worshipped a theory, and so I have difficulty in associating theories with a proposed god.

I did support creationism for a while, after being amazed by a pseudo-scientific book on the flood, but I then recognised the flaws in the argument. I wouldn’t say that I worshipped that argument.

I myself personally don’t want to put anybody in an asylum. It’s against my way.

I think the entire species is insane where no sanity exists. If we were to follow psychiatry in its totality we would have to lock everybody up on the planet.

I’m just wondering why psychiatry doesn’t prescribe religion as a mental disorder in this thread.

I most certainly do. I have spoken too often to too many professors who simply state that XXX theory cannot be contended with (else it would already be done). Thermodynamics comes to mind. When any theory becomes dogma, it is a proposed “god”, “worshiped” as holy and intractable. The “Second Law of Thermodynamics” is a notably worshiped theory supposedly in absolute authority over nature, yet that “law”/“theory” was proven wrong countless times. Still today, many professors teach it as holy, immutable doctrine.

Many today profess the Big Bang theory with the same fervor, although that one is more of a theory of what took place rather than a theory of how things work. Relativity, Quantum Physics, and The Standard Model (recently forced into revision) are the more common gods of the day.

When something is explained to someone in many ways, many times without any of it registering, a mental illness is suspect.

Okay, I’m catching on …

I wasn’t quoting you with that comment.

You can’t have free will when you as a person are shaped by influence. It’s just a will, not a free one.

We have the will to choose, but we choose what we choose due to who we are as individuals, and who we are as individuals are shaped by influence, genes, etc.

A bit vague. I need you to give me some examples.

It was actually religion that hindered all of that so…

You’re not helping your case here.

It was religionists that thought it was flat… #-o

White males are “evil” and therefore are obviously the spawn of the devil.

Science is equally dogmatic, yes. We are however discussing traditional religion here, namely how a cosmic sky daddy rules the entire universe.

Choice devoid of free will appears to me to be an oxymoron.

Free will is just the short version of : You are free to choose what you will of these choices before you.

But are YOU actually getting to choose as who you were shaped into?

If a person gets beat all their life then has to choose between doing it themselves or not, what would they choose? It depends on the extremity of their getting beaten, genes, and other external influences that shaped them.

You are not just a blank slate choosing freely, you choose certain options due to being you, who you were shaped into.

Free will is choice without restriction not simply choice alone. You may choose something, but it isn’t freedom of choosing, your choice may be a direct result from anything that happened in the past.

The past restricts everyone from certain things due to them being who they are. It has to do with environment and biology. Those things act as restrictions that do not allow one to be a blank slate who shapes themselves.

To say we all have the ability to shape ourselves from beginning wouldn’t make sense or even be possible.

But you aren’t free to choose because the past has influence over the choices you make.

One can make a choice, but it isn’t free choice. Not like being a blank slate.