The Meaning of Life. Does life make sense?

So you are saying that the purpose and meaning of life is to live resp. to experience.

to pare it down to the essential aspect of it, yes.

Some intelligent people have been doing it by taking drugs. :-k

Would you say that enjoyment is a or even the meaning of life?

What about LOVE?

Love is the opposite of Evol. :sunglasses:

Yes, you can call it health, if you see it as an ongoing development, a process. Health, balance, (inner) harmony is essentially all the same.

Use the intelligence to discern wisdom from intelligence, then seek wisdom. Enjoyment follows.

Everything makes sense if finally it’s realized if we acted differently things would turn out differently. Then and only then, on basis of this understanding, can sensible meaning to life be achieved.

The universe is chaotic and unstable therefore life also is chaotic and unstable.

Assumes life has meaning. I can agree to the assumption because… 1) Life is. 2) There are also examples of not life. Both in the case of loss of what was and is no longer and in the case of never having been. I’m guessing this relationship implies meaning, although I do not guess what it is. It has meaning, but I’m not sure what.

It makes sense from the stand point that it operates within a given set of physical/environmental conditions. Life has requirements that appear quantifiable. There is a need for this much oxygen, food, water, that is dependent on activity and the environment the activity takes place in.

Purpose? Now isn’t that a loaded question? May be difficult to adequately define purpose objectively enough? I’d default to the observation standpoint that life grows; inclusive is the potential to develop into something more then what the life currently is. To gather together into greater capacity.

I’m not sure one can plop the notion of a goal on it all. Goals are all about getting from where you are to where you want to be. I’m not so sure all life is aware of the distinction. Some of it is still figuring it out as it comes along it.

It makes sense because there is a sequential history. Development operates within a sequence that places cause before effect. At least it looks that way. You don’t get to a multi-cellular life form without passing through a single cell, evolutionary. A new idea always emerges from an existing idea. I don’t see much evidence of getting to complex without passing through simple.

Moral imperatives of purpose aside, cause “life” is amoral. Unless of course you are looking for meaning in morality or morality in meaning.

We are limited to a set knowledge regarding life. We have no other examples of life then what we have as yet experienced. I’m pretty sure what ever the universe comes up with will have evolved from simple to complex just as life on this planet has. Given circumstances being equal (same physical laws) I’d guess all life progresses along a continuum limited by the requirements of what it means to grow.

Not all members of an example of life must exhibit it, but enough have to. Enough to continue the trend.

Life is trending on Unibook. Is it becoming observably less diverse though?

Perhaps that has some meaning?

Or you could be asking specifically regarding human life, and then I’d say… lot’s a luck. We’ve become too complex to see things that simply. Thanks gods.

Perhaps that’s a sign that you’re not as intelligent as you think.

I think life can make sense, or can be confusing and senseless. I think there is sense to be found, purpose to be had. But I think that philosophy can obscure things, like the toddler asking “why?” - the sense and purpose is in the concrete and the doing, and not the abstraction and the conceptualisation. In this sense, I may be the opposite to some earlier posters.

Life, our existence, is the given with which we have to learn to cope. We need to think, and think well, to do so. But thinking well is not the purpose of living; living well is the goal of thinking.

I’m saying that no matter how hard you try, you can not enjoy every aspect of life and shouldn’t try to. You can not be happy all the time, you can not have what you want all the time, especially if what you want conflicts with what others want. You can’t even get what you need all the time, which is part of the enjoyment factor.

Certainly we make meaning for ourselves in life but concerning objective meaning or purpose I still stand by that the universe is so very unstable, chaotic, and constantly changing that to postulate one is nonsensical.

It is only your perception that the universe is unstable and chaotic. There is an order there; those traveling their own life through chaos perceive their own order and the order of chaos are all the paths looking chaotic when viewed as a whole instead of perceiving the order that is there. The stability isn’t what it should be, for all of the fighting, all of the misperceptions, etcetera; but it is still far from being wholly unstable.

Of course my answer to the “Purpose of Life” question is the same as always:
MIJOT, Maximum Integral of Joy Over Time.

Provided by the Anentropic Life: Wisely enjoy the pursuit of life’s continuance and the joy never ends.

What if life’s continuance becomes unwise? At what point of pursuing continuance and avoiding the end of your own life do you continue in faulty manners and processes?

Wisdom is defined by the highest purpose. Thus there is never a point where the highest purpose is not wise.

At the point of foolishness. Thus enjoy the pursuit of wisdom.

The highest purpose is not the only purpose that exists, therefore it is not always wise.

Some times the pursuit of foolishness is the pursuit of wisdom. Not often, but some times. And not all of life is enjoyable, much of wisdom is unenjoyable much like how much of anything you learn is unenjoyable until you learn how to apply what you learn in a way that makes it worth learning.