Do you really love philosophy?

orbie,

Happy Birthday Sweet Rumi. I didn’t know. :occasion-birthday: :occasion-cake: :occasion-gift:

Thank You, Arc, deeply appreciated.

What would you say, if there was a Sartre mausoleum, Orbie?

There lies a great philosopher.
But where orbie was - here at times lived a great philosopher. Can’t you sense his lingering presence?
:laughing:

In order to really love philosophy?

Pythagoras was the first to call himself a philosopher. Did he say this because he had a big head? No, he had a romantic attachment to it. He couldn’t live without it. I am the same way. No matter how tough it is, no matter how many hard heads I come across, or how many people don’t believe in the enterprise, I too can’t live without it. It’s something that I engage with on a daily basis. It brings meaning to my life. I don’t do it for consolation, all due respect to Boethius, but I do it for the free play of ideas, and as a way of life. Doubt plagues my most cherished beliefs, and no matter how centered my ideas are I still must follow the golden cord of reason wherever it may take me. I am a philosopher, not because I stand among the greatest, but because I’m genuinely in love with it.

As I already said in this thread: I like philosophy very much, but I would never say: “I love philosophy”.

I look forward to seeing more of your posts.

Philosophy is one of my greatest passions in life and it has been of great benefit for me in my personal life keeping myself mentally sharp during some of the most difficult portions of it.

But would you therefore say that you “love philosophy”?

I have been obsessed with philosophy, addicted to it, curious of it, enraged with it, I’ve hated it, I’ve had fun with it, etc.

In other words, my relationship with philosophy has been a plurality. But as to the ultimate question, yes, I would say that I love philosophy, and that I also have all of the troubles with philosophy that any love affair brings about.

I have a passion and love for learning or acquiring information so I suppose that I do.

I would like to know what you think about the following text:

James S Saint

But language came first, James, even if it was just the beginning of guttural-sounding utterances trying to express one’s self to communicate and to survive.

Couldn’t you say that logic necessitates a high level of consciousness? Do you think that the human being was at the time language was forming a highly conscious and intelligent being?

You might say that about math and science but language? You might even say that in terms of philosophy but perhaps not so much as the former two though I may be wrong in that.
Again, I think that what is required for a language to function is the human need to express one’s self and to communicate with others ~~ aside from the fact of language and words being valued and meaningful, retaining the memory of words and using them so that language does not die out.

How about poetry? How much logic is actually required in the composing of a poem? A love of language and words, and imagination ad continuum but logic? Of course, there may be logic required in the composing of some really wonder epic poems.

I don’t love philosophy. I just like deep thoughts sometimes

Do you mean your own deep thoughts or other deep thoughts too?

I suspect that you “love” it more than you think. To love is to desire the support and continuation of. I imagine that if the entire thought of philosophy was fading away, you would stand up to reinstate it. That would be “love” (although not to be confused with “being in love”).

both

i guess thats fair

I guess, that’s fair. :wink: