So, what books are you reading right now?

Ah. I didn’t put the rubber gasket on before I screwed in the blade plate… so the screws were too long. By adding the gasket, the plate becomes wider, and the screws don’t hit the mount before they tighten the plate. See I thought the gasket was optional. I’ve never put them on before and the fan mounted just fine. These assholes have to design their ceiling fans differently and make it all complicated.

Next week I’ll post pics of this screened-in porch we just built…or should I say ‘I’ because David did only twenty percent of the work, and badly at that. Show you people what happens when you give Zoot some good tools and a lumber package.

How to win friends and influence people.-Dale Carnegie.

The Magic Mountain in the Woods translation – quite exellent.

And for fun, Coroner’s Pidgin – an Inspector Campion mystery, quite witty in places

I hear that a nice strong cup of coffee helps in opening up the mind. Or you might want to just go pull some woman off the street. She could probably do it easily. :stuck_out_tongue:

Where exactly are you hanging it - I mean on what ceiling?

John Grey, ‘False Dawn’, The Delusions of Global Capitalism, New Press

And Robert Skidelsky’s review of said John Grey

Animal Farm

• George Orwell

and

Finders Keepers

• Stephen King

Mr. Mercedes came first.

The Divine Comedy and The Principles of Psychology vol.1

I’m thinking of creating an epic poem centered around the post-war travels of Diomedes, one of the heroes from the Trojan war.

Tennyson’s ‘Rizpa’ an epic poem

The Sacred Stones, by William Sarabande -excellent novel.

Reading some of the reviews for this novel, people seem to either love this book or hate it. I think I know why this is. If you start with the premise that all our fools (Young or old, great or small, ugly or beautiful, man or woman, good or bad), then this is a story that more or less confirms that premise, and the few who do obtain true wisdom share a fate similar to Socrates. As to why people either love this novel or hate it, I think its because we can all identify with at least one of the characters in this story, even though the novel is set in prehistoric times. Those who cannot accept that humanity is a race of fools would probably hate this novel. Those who have accepted this and can recognize their own foolishness would probably enjoy this novel.

Sophie’s World: A Novel about the History of Philosophy
Jostein Gaarder

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sophie%27s_World
I loved this book, being that I’m kind of in the basement as a philosopher, it was wonderful. It’s like my bible.

Paris The Novel
Edward Rutherfurd

h-france.net/fffh/maybe-missed/e … the-novel/
I so love historical novels. This one at times was a bit confusing insofar as the chronology is concerned.
You really have to re-adjust your mind to the chronological changes and characters. It gets a bit disorienting like traveling back and forth in time without any notice. But it was so highly interested. I don’t think that I would have given it the ending that Rutherfurd did either but I guess it worked.

The Graveyard Book
Neil Gaiman

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Graveyard_Book

A children’s book but I so enjoyed it. Wasn’t bored for an instant. More delicious read at night in the silence when all are asleep but yourself. Loved the character Bod Owens.

The Eight
Katherine Neville

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Eight_(novel

Reading this now. Am enjoying it. This book also goes back and forth in time but easier to follow. I love this stuff. lol

Existentialism- for and against
Paul Roubiczek

cambridge.org/us/academic/su … nd-against

Just beginning to read this. Maybe I should finish The Eight first and then devote my undivided attention to it.
Looking forward to it. I eat this stuff up though I have to ruminate quite some time.

John Bunyan: “The Pilgrim’s Progress”

You are quite the reader there, Arc.

Max Stirner 1844

The Ego and Its Own

Did Friedrich Nietzsche (1844-1900) Plagiarise from Max Stirner (1806—56)?
John Glassford

Marietta, Nietzche, Metaphor and Cognitive Science

To Wyld: I am new, so not yet allowed to PM. Sorry.

I’m reading Dante’s Inferno. The translation is by Esolen. It’s very good. He doesn’t write in poetry, but he uses poetic devices such as end rhyme and alliteration. It’s powerful prose. This book reminds me of when passions trump reason, and the prices we pay when we let it so. I’m half way through, but I must say, it is getting tiresome watching so many people burning in hell for eternity. What about the Christan virtue of mercy? Dante’s hell is a dark place indeed.

On a side note, I’m sad that I had to look so far down to resurrect this thread.

Jung to Live By
A Guide to the Practical Application of Jungian Principals for Everyday Life
~~Eugene Pascal, Ph. L

souvenirpress.co.uk/product/jung-to-live-by/

The Face of the Deep: The Religious Ideas of C.G. Jung
~~ Charles B. Hanna

kirkusreviews.com/book-revi … as-of-c-g/

[b]
I Am Reading Two Books / Revelation Space : Alastair Reynolds

Nineteen Seventy One Never A Dull Moment : David Hepworth[/b]

I wrote a book myself, three years ago, called The Representative; since then I haven’t read fiction, although I did read some Asimov shortly after finishing writing my own book.

I am going through Shantaram right now -quite an interesting read